It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: 2004 MLB trading deadline - we discuss the deals

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
i have to keep pinching myself to remember that they are a first place team, this deal reeks of a last place team dumping players, bush's speechwriters would have a hard time putting a positive spin on this trade, i think they rolled the dice hoping to get johnson and lost BIG TIME.....

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Wow I was right, some major deals at the deadline!

ESPN's Jayson Stark reports that the Cubs have acquired Nomar Garciaparra from the Red Sox.

The Expos traded Orlando Cabrera to the Cubs, and Cabrera was immediately sent on to the Red Sox as part of a package for Nomar Garciaparra

The Red Sox acquired Doug Mienkiewicz as part of Saturday's blockbuster. Mientkiewicz should get most of the playing time at first base, with Kevin Millar shifting to left field in place of the injured Trot Nixon.

The Red Sox acquired outfielder Dave Roberts from the Dodgers. Roberts is likely to battle for playing time in left field with Kevin Millar and Gabe Kapler.

The Expos acquired shortstop Alex Gonzalez along with Francis Beltran and Brendan Harris from the Cubs in exchange for Orlando Cabrera.

The Expos acquired Francis Beltran from the Cubs in the Orlando Cabrera deal. Beltran was pitching for Triple-A Iowa but spent time in the majors this year and could eventually develop into a setup man for Chad Cordero.

[Edited on 7-31-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

ESPN reports that Jose Contreras has been traded to the White Sox in exchange for Esteban Loaiza.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The Dodgers acquired Brent Mayne from the Diamondbacks. Mayne will back up David Ross.

The Rangers acquired Scott Erickson from the Mets for a player to be named. Erickson will probably get a shot in the Texas rotation.

The Dodgers acquired minor league outfielder Henri Stanley from the Red Sox in exchange for Dave Roberts. Stanley hit .299 with three homers in 51 games for Triple-A Pawtuckett.

Charles Johnson has rejected a proposed deal that would have sent him to the Dodgers.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Diamondbacks trade CF Steve Finley, C Brent Mayne to the Dodgers for C Koyie Hill, OF Reggie Abercrombie, LHP Bill Murphy

TRD

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Garciaparra has gone to the cubs
looks like the deal was a bit complicated aswell...lol

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I can't believe it. I think I'm going to stop being a baseball fan after what DePodesta just did with these trades. This is so disheartening.

Padres and Giants' fans must be rejoicing.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I never figured Nomar would get traded

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
DePodesta just stripped down the Dodgers' heart and soul, and the final straw was unloading a great leadoff base-stealer such as Roberts for practically nothing...

Roberts and Lo Duca were both fan favorites and clearly wanted to stay in LA, and when they were both in the lineup LA won...

He better hope he gets lucky with all the random moves he just made and LA finishes in first...because he just broke up a first place team for no reason, especially since the Dodgers failed to get Johnson...

I'm seriously considering not going to any more games from here on out this season...

[Edited on 7/31/04 by Cannon]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Larry Walker rejected a trade that would have sent him to the Rangers, according to the AP. He invoked the no-trade clause in his contract.

Paul Loduca arrives at the Marlins game, pinch-hits in the bottom of the 6th and blasts a two-run homer to left field.

What were the Dodgers thinking?

Originally posted by toejam
bush's speechwriters would have a hard time putting a positive spin on this trade,

LOL tj!

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The Pirates released Chris Stynes on Saturday. He was made expendable by the acquisition of Ty Wigginton.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Former Twins 1B Doug Mientkiewicz made a quick switch following the Saturday trade that sent him to the Red Sox. The two teams are playing a weekend series in Minnesota, so he was in the lineup at first base for his new squad, hitting sixth, and went 2-for-4.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Garciaparra has gone to the cubs
looks like the deal was a bit complicated aswell...lol

Yeah, definitely a blockbuster trade!

Nomar's bat should boost an already potent offense joining Sosa, Alou, Derek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, Corey Patterson, etc. The Cubs also have an awesome pitching staff, this could really help the Cubs push to catch St Louis in the NL Central.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Paul Loduca arrives at the Marlins game, pinch-hits in the bottom of the 6th and blasts a two-run homer to left field.

He didn't arrive in the dugout until the fifth inning.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The Dodgers took a lead in the 3rd inning against the Padres tonight and held a 2-1 lead all the way until the 8th inning. We all knew who's innning the 8th was until yesterday, Mota of course. Well without Mota, Dreifort gave up 2 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning to surrender the lead to the Padres, 3-2.

The Dodgers have Cora, Dreifort (pinch-hitter), and Izturis due up in the top of the 9th, let's see if they can pick up Dreifort. Ventura has had a few clutch pinch-hits in the past couple weeks.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Trevor Hoffman knocks 'em down 1-2-3.

Dodgers lose 3-2.

I hate to say it, but I think you can say they lost this game thanks to that so-called trade, a one-run lead in the 8th was almost automatic for Mota then Gagne, but for some reason they dismantled what was the best 1-2 setup-closer tandem in baseball. Didn't take long, did it?

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Talk about irony...

Immediately after trading away proven run producers in Roberts and Lo Duca, and one of the best set-up men in the league in Mota, LA produces only two runs against the Padres, one a home run by Kaz Ishii, and starting catcher in place of Lo Duca, David Ross, goes 0 for 3.

Dreifort, basically an 11 million dollar relief pitcher after several stints on the DL, comes in as the new Dodgers set-up man and manages only one out before giving up two and the lead.

New Dodger first baseman Hee Seop Choi gets a meaningless two out double and also grounds into a double play. Steve Finley doesn't even play.

I suddenly feel an urge to see GM Podesta fail. All of his latest moves seem to have been made for random reasons...he inherited a team from manager Dan Evans (not that great of a GM himself) and by stroke of luck managed to get Milton Bradley. He is getting far too much credit for this team's current position in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
What makes absolutely no sense is this is a first place team! (for now)

The Dodgers are in front of a tough division with SF and SD breathing down thier neck, and they decide to dismantle not only the team but certainly the chemistry as well. Like toejam said, it looks like a last-place team fire sale. I'm sure that GM will be feeling some serious heat, especially after tonight's collapse.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I sound like an upset Dodgers fan.

Actually as a Phillies fan, I'm not very happy to see Loduca, Mota, and Encarnacion come into the division, especially to the defending world champions.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Well its really disheartening when your team deals out a few fan favorites, guys who really wanted to play there (and had reasonable salaries), key parts of the team's makeup, for nothing considerable in return (at least not immediately)

I feel like a Clipper's fan

[Edited on 7/31/04 by Cannon]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join