Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Proud to be a Hillbilly!

page: 2
0
<< 1   >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmmm
agreed but i try not to associate with those sort of people. and i find that most of them arent like that (in my case!!!) i'm sure a bunch are though. but how will racism ever be resolved? as long as people are different there will be racism


I think you are right that racism won't be resolved, but it is not because people are different. It is because people refuse accept the fact that we are all different and that we should love, rather than hate, each other for those differences.




posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmmm
ok first off about the rebel flag. the rebel flag for the people in the south no longer represents what it did when it was made. what the rebel flag represents to them, or should i say us being that i live in texas, (i have no affliation with the rebel flag *shrugs shoulders*) is that to show people were you come from. the rebel flag means you are from the south and you are quote un quote a redneck. its just were you are from and how you you live your life. it no longer is associated with slavery and receeding from the united states. for us anyway. wait let me correct myself. maybe for some but for most not. i cant speak for everyone.

second ya you should defend your self in a debate but i was talking bout the flame mostly.


"are you a refugee by any chance? just curious on how deluded you really are.
oh wait...this is another "let me be american coz mehico sux ass" scenario
hey, better american than ukranian, i'm sure you'd be welcome among your average run-of-the-mill skinhead here
do u have a home, or are you intent on using an internet cafe for the rest of ur miserable life"


there is no need for that and it hardly constitutes as a rebuttle for a debate.

[Edited on 11-25-2003 by hmmm]


i stand by my point, the point was made...im here to defend it.
as for colloquial interpretation, this wasnt aimed at simply banishing him into a state of depression....
but, more-so a deny-lame-posts scenario, who cares if the man's a hillbilly...like u dont have skinheads in the good ole' states

where'd u think the teenage #s that go shaving there heads got the idea from in the first place???:shk:
another point made clear.
as for my being rude, i'm sorry if i came across as that, it's my oppinion, extreme as it may be, conveying oppinions has to be dealt harshly at times.
i doubt whether it would be wise to critisize my point more than the man starting this topic, it is, after all only an oppinion

touche'
hope my point's made hmmm...
& for future reference, it's a rare, i dont usually post harshly as u no doubt noticed



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:14 AM
link   
agreed but you mentioned the n-word. there is a double meaning to that and it is not frowned apon. i swear if a white person uses the n word (i want to say it but i am white
) he is labeled a racist but if black people say it its alright as if everything is fine. this is a double standard. blacks arent associated as racist because they use the n word. i agree most people fall into the category of their streotype. but this is wrong is there anyway we can get around this? it seems impossible. within every streotype is multiple people who do not fit it but we cant get around it because most still fit it. its liek some ruin it for all.

edit to cyrus. i get your point its just your point came across more as insult. i have nothing against debating and people having different views but cant we do that in an orderly fashion? i know this is the mud pit because it refers to mud slinging and i guess thats why i stay out of politics. o well fun fun.
i like debating


[Edited on 11-25-2003 by hmmm]



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:23 AM
link   
ah, but when I was growing up if you used the n-word you would catch the back of your mother's hand. it's not widely accepted amongst older black folk. this dual meaning for the n-word is relatively new. I must admit for a time I embraced it, but it's poison because it creates division--that's what it was created to do both times. i think that goes for most of these symbols of the past, and i believe we shouldn't carry them into the future. what are we embracing anyway? it's passive hate being passed down generation to generation.

it is hopeless. maybe talking about it won't change it, maybe nothing will.

yeah, i like the debate too. i didn't mean to seem aggressive. sorry, it's late. Or early rather. the kid can't sleep--she's edgy.

[Edited on 25-11-2003 by Saphronia]



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:27 AM
link   
true i see your point there it does create division very deeply. but should those people who embrace it as something else also be looked down on? its just impossible. i just dont know and it saddens me.



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmmm
edit to cyrus. i get your point its just your point came across more as insult. i have nothing against debating and people having different views but cant we do that in an orderly fashion? i know this is the mud pit because it refers to mud slinging and i guess thats why i stay out of politics. o well fun fun.
i like debating


[Edited on 11-25-2003 by hmmm]


u stick to your part of the board & i'll stick to mine...who crowned you to judge what is fit and what's not for the mudpit?? signs are there to be read...not disputed.
i am politically motivated, as for hillbillys',well i dont have a problem with them here so im ok

on a more serious note...
you do realize, you being a texan makes u more-so bush-related here in the european world... and since when have you adopted a normal line of conversation, as far as i can remember weren't you the one yelled at my ultra-phoenix to stfu due to rubish expressions, find me one of those expressions used in any of my posts...:bnghd:
tune in, judge thyself before others.:bash:

[Edited on 25-11-2003 by Cyrus]



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmmm
true i see your point there it does create division very deeply. but should those people who embrace it as something else also be looked down on? its just impossible. i just dont know and it saddens me.


don't flatter yourself, if racial discrimination was made legal today you'd probably be among the first to dis-endow any fortunate black people to actually have made some money

please....drop the fake attitude



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:38 AM
link   
what happened to creating something new? we are so quick to embrace everything that's old and change it. why not create something completely new that doesn't have the baggage? i guess this goes to what we are taught about history repeating itself. that doesn't necessarily have to be true--we make it true.

Calling ourselves hillbillies and n-words makes us feel connected to something, though. what are we connecting to? I think those things need to be examined by those that choose to embrace them. That's sort of the process I went through when I stopped using the n-word.

I can't front though, it was hard to do specially because everyone around me uses it. I started replacing it with cousin...I call everyone cousin now and some people questioned that I thought they should have been questioning why we use the n-word when it's so obviously negative.



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:51 AM
link   
heh fake attitude. this is my real attitude. for one i avoid conflict so i wouldnt do anything to anyone. and also i was unaware racial discrimination was illegal. i can discriminate against whoever i want. you act as if i've never even talked to a black person. like if i see a black person i wish i could shoot him dead. well i did talk to a black person once on the internet so there (joke!) i have had black friends but they were never close friends. for some reason i just felt i coudlnt really relate to them. their way of thinking the way they dress (sorry guys
). this doesnt mean i wasnt friends with them or didnt like them. we just werent best friends. as for me thinking as if i dont stereotype this is untrue. and i believe it is untrue for anyone. if i hear someone listening to rap music i automatically think he is black. (or some white guy wanting to be black) is it right no. should it be changed yes.



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saphronia
what happened to creating something new? we are so quick to embrace everything that's old and change it. why not create something completely new that doesn't have the baggage? i guess this goes to what we are taught about history repeating itself. that doesn't necessarily have to be true--we make it true.

Calling ourselves hillbillies and n-words makes us feel connected to something, though. what are we connecting to? I think those things need to be examined by those that choose to embrace them. That's sort of the process I went through when I stopped using the n-word.

I can't front though, it was hard to do specially because everyone around me uses it. I started replacing it with cousin...I call everyone cousin now and some people questioned that I thought they should have been questioning why we use the n-word when it's so obviously negative.

saphronia, it is inept to relate to another by using any form of concocted herein fictitious label.
people have names' for a reason.
labelling some1 nigga proves to be a stereotypical method of underestimating their values' as an inteligent being.
people tend to find this shocking, ergo: provocative.
correct??
sorry to have to display so much agression in this particular topic, i let off a lot of steam at a dead topic-maker...maybe i should remove all trace of the comment

*sighs*, every1's entitled to at least 1 bad day now & then..
Cordially
Cyrus


[Edited on 25-11-2003 by Cyrus]



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:58 AM
link   
i say leave it you explained yourself very well



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmmm
heh fake attitude. this is my real attitude. for one i avoid conflict so i wouldnt do anything to anyone. and also i was unaware racial discrimination was illegal. i can discriminate against whoever i want. you act as if i've never even talked to a black person. like if i see a black person i wish i could shoot him dead. well i did talk to a black person once on the internet so there (joke!) i have had black friends but they were never close friends. for some reason i just felt i coudlnt really relate to them. their way of thinking the way they dress (sorry guys
). this doesnt mean i wasnt friends with them or didnt like them. we just werent best friends. as for me thinking as if i dont stereotype this is untrue. and i believe it is untrue for anyone. if i hear someone listening to rap music i automatically think he is black. (or some white guy wanting to be black) is it right no. should it be changed yes.

well done

u proved a point i would have *gasp* struggled to admit to.
yes, i share that very same oppinion, it is rare to see a white man fit in well with the community, racial discrimination is pretty much the mark of the beast in us all.

i'm off to make myself another avatar...



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I just want Saph to post more - her avatar reminds me of a girlfriend from my college days....lips like that and a Columbia undergrad to boot. Can I get a "praise the Lord" for Puerto Rican women from the Bronx?

I believe that once something is compromised, it should be abandoned from popular use.
Hillbilly = ignorant resident of squalor
redneck = same as above, but in the low lands. Most also carry a rascist connotation.
D--i--c--k = go by Rich/Rick or richard, Dick is out!
Confederate flag = splinter rebels, suspect of the country as a whole.....how many Chechnyan flags ever flew on the same pole as the hammer & sycle?



posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 10:11 PM
link   
HANK WILLIAMS JR SINGS
The preacherman says its the end of time and the Mississippi river she's a goin dry
The intrest is up,and the stock market's down,and you only get mugged if you go down town
I live back in the woods you see my woman and the kid and the dogs and me
i got a shotgun, rifle and a four wheel drive and a COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
COUNTRY FOLKS CAN SURVIVE
I can plow a feild all day long
I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn
We make our own wiskey,and our own smoke to,aint to many things these ol boys cant do,we grow good ol mato's ,and homemade wine,and COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
COUNTRY FOLKS CAN SURVIVE
because you cant starve us out,and you cant make us run,because them ol boys are raised with shotguns
we say Grace we say amen,if you aint in the south we dont give a dam.
COUNTRY FOLKS CAN SURVIVE
dam i love that song



posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Help ... I've fallen and i can't get up ... snicker

there was absolutely no purpose to that, just in case you were wondering





new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 1   >>

log in

join