It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother of All Bombs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
wireservice.wired.com...

more power to the U.S. Now I bet the rest of the world is just freaked and wont approach us, huh?
When do you think we'd even use such a masive wepon?
It weighs 21,700 pounds I gusess we could drop it on Baghdad.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Ah..the MOAB...again..it is a marvelous piece of technology..but also a very very bad thing. Dropping this into a city full or militans and civilians? Huge civilian casuaties. It should provide massive protection, though, aye?

Thanks for the info.

-wD

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Guess that explains the explosions that were heard in Florida now...eh?

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 04:30 PM
link   
i wonder y it causes the mushroom effect

what kind of elememt have they mixed into THIS sauce

i hate this....the daisy cutters were bad enough, now this

*stomps off to find a more suitable topic*

Cyrus

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyrus

Cyrus

Any explosion can cause a mushroom effect. Just look as gasoline.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyrus

Cyrus

A plume of smoke rose more than 10,000 feet in the air and was visible 40 miles away in Pensacola, Florida.
"It looked like a big mushroom cloud filled with flames as it grew and grew and grew," Swinson said after the afternoon test. "It was one of the most awesome spectacles I've seen."

news.myway.com...|top|11-21-2003::18:06|reuters.html

They dropped the last one a week before the iraq invasion. I wonder if this is a sign of pending millitary action somewhere else?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I little animation I made of photos.

Moab going off.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The Mass Ordnance Air Blast Bomb is a deterrent weapon, designed to wreak havoc on the enemy troops' morale. One was detonated in Iraq, I can't remember the date, but they set one off a few miles out from Baghdad or one of the other larger Iraqi cities.

........ And the US would not be stupid enough to detonate a bomb of such size in a populated area. It would be an atrocity and would not be tolerated by other Nations.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Canuck,

why are you going to do something about it?

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 07:11 PM
link   
They are probably saving it for North Korea.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The tactical application of MOAB is not what you think.

It is designed to kill the gophers in their holes.

Remember what it is, it is essentially a giant aerosol can filled with a higly flammable liquid. At an preappointed time it disburses the flammable mist, and then detonates it. The effect is a giant flame ball.

How does this kill the gophers in their holes?

Everything that lives that breathes air dies when you deprive it of oxygen. When you detonate a huge fireball above a network of tunnels and caves you suck all the air out of that network of tunnels and caves. Everyone inside dies of suffocation with no damage to computers, paperwork, or WMD. Your troops can go in unimpeded with little or not resistance or exposure to contaminates.

Sure it is a spectacular boom. But the military planners of America have been thinking about fighting an underground entrenched opponent since the 91 war, and since Osama took to the caves and tunnels in Afghanistan.

The Americans used bunker busters within the Baghdad borders to limit "collateral damage" where the tactical application of MOAB probably wouldn't be practical from a PR standing.

MOAB worked fine in Afghanistan where concerns for collateral damage were nil. Why dig the gopher out just to shoot him when you can kill him in his hole.

hrxll

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HerExcellency
The tactical application of MOAB is not what you think.

It is designed to kill the gophers in their holes.

Remember what it is, it is essentially a giant aerosol can filled with a higly flammable liquid. At an preappointed time it disburses the flammable mist, and then detonates it. The effect is a giant flame ball.

How does this kill the gophers in their holes?

Everything that lives that breathes air dies when you deprive it of oxygen. When you detonate a huge fireball above a network of tunnels and caves you suck all the air out of that network of tunnels and caves. Everyone inside dies of suffocation with no damage to computers, paperwork, or WMD. Your troops can go in unimpeded with little or not resistance or exposure to contaminates.

Sure it is a spectacular boom. But the military planners of America have been thinking about fighting an underground entrenched opponent since the 91 war, and since Osama took to the caves and tunnels in Afghanistan.

The Americans used bunker busters within the Baghdad borders to limit "collateral damage" where the tactical application of MOAB probably wouldn't be practical from a PR standing.

MOAB worked fine in Afghanistan where concerns for collateral damage were nil. Why dig the gopher out just to shoot him when you can kill him in his hole.

hrxll

worked fine? huh? its only been test detonated on 2 testing ranges in the US, it was never actually used.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Can you say with absolute assurance that none were dropped in Afghanistan?

I truly doubt you can.

hrxll

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I might be as wrong as can be, but I could have sworn the MOAB was used in Afghanistan! Anyone else remember a news piece about it? I think maybe Geraldo Rivera did it?

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The US has allowed incredible access to the Press in many bases and areas in the Near and Middle East. But most Reporters are missing the real story. Where is the ordinance?

Something that weighs 22,000 lbs. cannot just be tucked away somewhere. US military doctrine says that ordinance must be stored in a convienent, readily accessible place, like a ammo dump. The moab is essentially a huge cylinder on skids. You could spot them lying around for miles. The why haven't we seen the shots of them?

Because they aren't in the middle east.

They are at Diego Garcia. Where there is no Press, no internet, no spy cams.

hrxll

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Canuck,

From that comment I take it your American. Like it or not, if America committed an atrocity of large proportions many countries would group together, much like your alliance in Iraq right now, and shut you guys down. America is not invincible, America is not smarter than everyone else, America does not lead the free world. You guys just like to think you do.

*Edit* A good source for the story.

www.chicagotribune.com...

The Daisy Cutter, used recently against Taliban and Al Qaeda forces in Afghanistan, produces a blast that is flung largely sideways, preventing craters that would be hazardous to landing helicopters.

I earlier said that the MOAB was used in Iraq, sorry, I was wrong.

[Edited on 28-11-2003 by Canuck]

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I might be as wrong as can be, but I could have sworn the MOAB was used in Afghanistan! Anyone else remember a news piece about it? I think maybe Geraldo Rivera did it?

The "Daisy Cutter" was used in Afganastan, but the MOAB was not.

[Edited on 28-11-2003 by baked]

Just can't seem to get it right

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Here is a pic of the Daisy Cutter

Mad

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 11:04 AM
link   
That may be the mother of all conventual bombs but the mother of all bombs is the Tsar bomb the Russians invented it the shockwave was so big it circled the world three times and get this it was downsized

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canuck

Originally posted by THENEO
Canuck,

From that comment I take it your American. Like it or not, if America committed an atrocity of large proportions many countries would group together, much like your alliance in Iraq right now, and shut you guys down. America is not invincible, America is not smarter than everyone else, America does not lead the free world. You guys just like to think you do.

*Edit* A good source for the story.

www.chicagotribune.com...

The Daisy Cutter, used recently against Taliban and Al Qaeda forces in Afghanistan, produces a blast that is flung largely sideways, preventing craters that would be hazardous to landing helicopters.

I earlier said that the MOAB was used in Iraq, sorry, I was wrong.

[Edited on 28-11-2003 by Canuck]

Try, he is from Canada!

Well, the world claims what we are doing is an atrocity now, why not shut us down?
What countries are you refering to "shuting us down"?
They might try but I doubt they could.

Why didn't they shut us down when we dropped on Japan?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join