It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superbowl champ predictions?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Interception - Touchdown Colts!

29 -17 Colts Whoop!

Another Interception. Colts have the ball!

Go Colts Whoop Whoop!

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
And that is what you call, that!

Peyton has solidified himself as the greatest QB of all time.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
And that is what you call, that!

Peyton has solidified himself as the greatest QB of all time.

I think that Montana's 3 OTHER SB rings will argue with that.

What a sloppy game. Eyew.

Manning gets the MVP? NO WAY.

Is there a football person out there that can REALLY call who should be the MVP?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
MVP?

Shoulda been Sanders.

He gets the colts defense so fired up and makes the right moves at the right times.

Didn't he snag one of the interceptions?

2nd choise: Jeff Saturday, or Rhodes.

[edit on 2/4/07 by makeitso]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Addai & Rhodes should of split the MVP. 200+ all purpose yards and showed absolute domination when it came to moving the chains and eating up the clock.

intrepid, the continued shredding of the record book will dictate otherwise.

I think one thing people do not understand about Peyton is his physical strength and grit. He has been the starting QB for Indy for eight years and he has started every game. A comparison to Brett Favre on that level is without a doubt one of the highest compliments a QB could be paid.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Peyton took longer than it took Steve Young to get the gorilla off of his back. That is until the Colts came back, beat the Pats in Indy and went on to kick the Bears hides in the Super Bowl.

Seeing Devin Hester run that ninety-two yarder back on the kickoff was cool though. We may never see anything like that in a Super Bowl ever again.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
MVP?

Shoulda been Sanders.

He gets the colts defense so fired up and makes the right moves at the right times.

Didn't he snag one of the interceptions?

2nd choise: Jeff Saturday, or Rhodes.

[edit on 2/4/07 by makeitso]

Damn, you notice Saturday's work?
The O line almost always gets overlook but they are the men that make the stars look good. Saturday was AWESOME. He protected Manning better than anyone on the line and pulled to block for the RB's as well. No mistakes. Saturday was the MVP imo.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well, like I said, in order for the Bears to win, there had to be certain things to happen...Ummm, they didn't happen. Their defense was lathargic, and Grossman certainly did not play very well.. Congratulations to the Colts... but, uh, I have seen the Bears play better games than that. :shk:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

intrepid, the continued shredding of the record book will dictate otherwise.

Yes, but until he gets there let me ask, who would you rather have as your starter, Montana or Marino? Stats are one thing, winning is another.

BTW, I was playing with my Google this week and came across an interesting piece of info. In the 16 years between 1981 and 1997 the Niners made it to the NFC Championship game 10 TIMES. Joe didn't do it all but I think that's significant.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Yes, but until he gets there let me ask, who would you rather have as your starter, Montana or Marino? Stats are one thing, winning is another.

I am not a big fan of either quarterback...Mostly because of the teams they played for... :shk:
However, for my money,I have to take Joe Montana..

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Manning gets the MVP? NO WAY.

My initial reaction was the same as yours after looking at his mediocre stat line.

But when you think about the fact that the playcalling was on his shoulders, and Indy's offense DICTATED practically the entire game...I think he ends up being a pretty worthy recipient.

Two other things:

1) Saturday played awesome. But the day that an O-Lineman wins Superbowl MVP we will be discussing it in the "Political Conspiracies" thread, not this one.

2) If my life depended on one game and I could hand pick my starting QB (any era) for that game, I choose Joe Montana. Manning will end up with the best stats, Favre will end up with the best highlights, but Montana...well...he'd be my guy if my life was on the line.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well I was routing for Da Bears...
Started out real good!
Oh well - time to eat some crow.
(Jeez this next statement is so painful) Chissler you were right...(OWWWWW!)
Since I am an absolute Philadelphia fan, Eagles, Flyers, Sixers, Phillies etc....... I guess when I give my allegiance to another team it is an albatross of sorts..........

ALLRIGHT! Here we go. E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!!!!! The next Super Bowl Champs! Remember, you heard it here first!
So what if Coach Reids kids were involved in last weeks fiascos...(1 got in an accident and had heroin paraphanelia on his person, and the other one waved a gun against someones head, smiling at the victim as he did so) .......... The EAGLES are going to win the Lombardi Trophy next year!
I've been saying that for as many years as i can remember.......

Cheers Chissler - you won THIS TIME! Bwah ha ha ha.......I'll get you next time, but I have to go change a dirty diaper right now.

Congrats, Indy, and Peyton - I don't like you, but you won it outright. Well done - but just wait until next year! Here, let me say it again -
E-A-G-L-E-S - Eagles!!!!!!!!

Fly Egles Fly
On the road to Victory
Fight Eagles fight
Score a touchdown
one, two, three
Hit 'em low
hit 'em high
and watch our Eagles fly
Fly Eagles fly
on the road to victory
E-A-G-L-E-S
EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Go Colts!

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I like how you do that. But last night Manning has erased all of these comparisons to Marino. He is in the same bracket as Favre, Brady, Montana, Young, etc.

So a more fitting comparison would be Montana (4 Rings) or Favre (1 Ring). When it comes to seasonal stats, I believe Favre takes the upper hand. Playoff record goes to Montana. But at the end of the day, both are proven winners and any team would be lucky to have them. Marino is alone to take the brunt of the ridicule on this one. He no longer has Manning on his left shoulder taking half of it.

Nobody remembers how many championships Babe Ruth won, they just know he won. But everyone remembers that Ted Williams did not. Once you win one, the rest is gravy.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Marino is alone to take the brunt of the ridicule on this one. He no longer has Manning on his left shoulder taking half of it.

Do you think that's fair though...to make it an individual issue?

I mean, what is implied when we take shots at Marino's ringless fingers is that it is truly HIS fault that the Dolphins never sealed the deal.

Let me ask you this:

If Bradshaw was quarterbacking the Dolphins in Superbowl 19, do you think the Fins win that game?
If Marino was quarterbacking the Steelers in 9, 10, 13, or 14, do you think they lose even ONE of those?

(Personally, I feel like I could name 30 QBs with the talent, if they had the Steel Curtain behind them, to be wearing those 4 rings right now.)

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius

If Bradshaw was quarterbacking the Dolphins in Superbowl 19, do you think the Fins win that game?
If Marino was quarterbacking the Steelers in 9, 10, 13, or 14, do you think they lose even ONE of those?

(Personally, I feel like I could name 30 QBs with the talent, if they had the Steel Curtain behind them, to be wearing those 4 rings right now.)

Well, now, Bradshaw was a little bit before my time, but, from what I can gather about him is that if he hadn't had the team he had in front of him, he wouldn't have been nearly as good as he was... If you want to talk about greatness, I think you look at Unitas, Tarkenton, Staubach, Montana, Elway.. Those guys would have been great no matter where they played.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
If you want to talk about greatness, I think you look at Unitas, Tarkenton, Staubach, Montana, Elway.. Those guys would have been great no matter where they played.

Superbowl ring great?

I think Archie Manning would disagree...

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I don't mean to point fingers directly at Marino for his ringless fingers. It takes more than one individual to win a championship. Marino is one of the greatest of all time without a ring, just like Ted Williams, Karl Malone, or Marcel Dionne. All of those guys dominated their sport, played on great teams, but never won a championship. Are they to blame? No. They are probably the sole reason their teams made it to the championships. But a determining factor in greatness is the ability to overcome all odds. Looking at adversity in the face and still coming out on top.

For example, having one of the worst defensive teams in the league and actually being the worst defensive team against the run all season, then persevering in the playoffs to win a championship. What we will forget in ten or twenty years was how bad Indy's defense was all year but stepped up when the season was on the line.

True "Greatness" is making every player around you that much better. Peyton Manning makes Harrison, Wayne, Addai, Rhodes, etc., better. Just like Michael Jordan made Scottie Pippen and the rest of the Bulls better.

Can we say Dan Marino made everyone that donned the same uniform that much better?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
Superbowl ring great?

I think Archie Manning would disagree...

Well, obviously, Staubach,Montana and Elway all had Super Bowl Rings... So I guess they were. I don't know much about Archie Manning. To be honest,I had never heard of him until about 2 weeks ago. I talked to one guy, and he said that Archie Manning wasn't that good. I mean, that's one man's opinion. I don't know... I am not even sure that I was living when he played. Although, other than reading about them, I don't know much about Tarkenton, Staubach, certainly not Unitas, either. However, these guys have shelves full of books written about them. It's curious that I have never even heard of Archie Manning until relatively recently.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It's all well and good to discuss, but it's an exercise in futility to come up with an "all time best" individual when you're talking a sport as team oriented as football. Or basketball.

Jordan didn't win without Pippen. Oscar Robertson needed Kareem. It's looking more and more like Kobe needs Shaq. And those are basketball examples. If anything, football's even less affected by a single individual.

Nobody can do it alone. And my personal opinion, after watching the Colts very closely for over 20 years, is that they wouldn't have won this one, or even been in a position to play for this one, without the return of Bob Sanders. You can't imagine the effect this guy has on the defense. They literally do not play the same way when he's on the field.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join