It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasonry and Christianity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I decided to purpose a thread on this specific question. I searched for a while looking for another thread specifically on this topic/question to answer my questions and could not find a thread. I have for awhile wanted to join Freemasonry, as many of my family has already. I am also a Christian and have read endless stuff about how Freemasonry conflicts with Christianity. As I believe many of these sources could be incorrect in their speculations, but I am looking for the big question.

Does Freemasonry conflict with Christianity?

I would also like to give Masonic Light a big thanks for giving me some insight and answering my questions so willingly.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I'm a Christian and a Mason. All one must swear to is a belief in a supreme being, what we call the "Great Architect." Simply to affirm the fact, in my opinion, that if there were not something "above" us what would be the point in seeking personal growth. At the same point if it bothers you that you could be Initiated with people of different faiths than Christianity, that is something for you to consider.

Although every Lodge is different, depending on where you live your Lodge could be so overtly Christian that you think it as a vestige of your own Church, despite that (at least in my Lodge) blatant discussion of defined religion is forbidden.

It really all depends on what you are interested in getting out of Masonry, what are you looking for?

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   

I'm a Christian and a Mason. All one must swear to is a belief in a supreme being, what we call the "Great Architect." Simply to affirm the fact, in my opinion, that if there were not something "above" us what would be the point in seeking personal growth. At the same point if it bothers you that you could be Initiated with people of different faiths than Christianity, that is something for you to consider.

Although every Lodge is different, depending on where you live your Lodge could be so overtly Christian that you think it as a vestige of your own Church, despite that (at least in my Lodge) blatant discussion of defined religion is forbidden.

It really all depends on what you are interested in getting out of Masonry, what are you looking for?

I do not mind being in a fraternity with other faiths besides mine, as long as people show respect as I'm sure they would. I am interested in Freemasonry for multiple reason. For one, to be apart of a social group that does good in society. I would love to learn more about history, and I know I do not need to be a Mason to do that, but I believe I could learn much more, and I do know most lodges have librarys and I'd imagine they have an abundance of rare historical books, I could be wrong though. Part of it is also the curiosity of the fraternity itself.

My only issue, as you yourself has likely experienced, is that I may have to say oaths to gods other than mine and partake in cultist cerimonies. Not just symbolic cerimonies that I have heard Freemasonry partakes in. My stance is that I will never try to deny my God or put any worldly organization over my Christian belief.

The reason I am so curious is due the all the books and articles that I have read from Christians stating that Freemasonry is a cult that worships Lucifer and Pagan gods. I am torn in between believing them or understanding that their stance came directly from the writings of Freemasons that happen to be involved in Pagan or Luciferian type things.

I would deffiently appriciating you elaborate on my confusion if you would.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well the Library bit is true in that you are going to meet people with an enormous wealth of information in books that they will be more than willing to share with you. Rare historical books on occasion, but nothing like the Masonic version of the Vatican Archives.

Maybe you misunderstood me, you do not in any way swear allegiance to ANY God, you simply swear that you believe in A supreme being, even your run of the mill Agnostic can be a Mason, simply because they believe that their is a higher power, despite they might not know what it is.

The ceremonies are simply that, symbolic in nature. They are allegoric rituals to teach you lessons intended to make you a better person. Under NO circumstances would you ever have to deny your theistic beliefs in Masonry. To be honest Masonry comes easier to Christians than it does to other faiths (except Judaism.) I was initiated with a Hindu who it took about 4 hours of detailed discussion with myself (who was still coming to grips with the ritual) and 5 others to explain the roots of the ritual and what it meant on an individual level.

If you do not want to discuss it here (within a few hours the nay-sayers will be all over this,) feel free to U2U me or any of the other token Masons on ATS. We like to get 'em while they're young. (Conspiratorial joke intended)

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by thexsword
My only issue, as you yourself has likely experienced, is that I may have to say oaths to gods other than mine and partake in cultist cerimonies. Not just symbolic cerimonies that I have heard Freemasonry partakes in. My stance is that I will never try to deny my God or put any worldly organization over my Christian belief.

Hi thexsword

I am another Christian that finds no incompatability between freemasonry and Christianity. In fact, I would go further and say that freemasonry supports my faith, and has actually drawn me closer to Jesus by its peculiar mechanism of personal growth.

As to your stance as noted above, have a look here at what UGLE, one of the most respected GLs in freemasonry, has to say on the matter.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
There is nothing in Freemasonry that conflicts with my Christianity or my Christian beliefs. For those Freemasons who feel it does they need to leave the fraternity or learn more about it.

Sadly there are those who either from ignorance or fear find something in it that they dont like and become crusaders against the " EVILS" of Freemasonry. The refuse to learn but hate what they dont understand...how you can have a intelligent conversation with such people is beyond me.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think the conflict between masonry and religion is created because religions must compete with freemasonry for people's time, money, and energy. Relgious leaders feel that money, time, and energy masons spend at their lodges could be spent at the church. Lodges also offer their members many of the things church's can offer like comraderie, friendships, activities, etc. Religious leaders do not describe this conflict as healthy competition, but as some sinister force undermining their affairs. So perhaps there is no real conflict between religion and freemasonry, but the two compete, and one party in the competition (religion) is being a poor sport about it.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
As both a devout Christian and a Mason I have never found any conflict betrween the teachings of masonry and the message of Christ. Nor for that matter of any relgion with which I have come in contact with, or studied in collage.

As an observation, the majority of the anti-masonic objections I've seen from the ultra evangelical christian groups seem to center around the fact that masonry does not promote/require/demand a belief in their spacific doctorine and their deffinition of religious practice.

As aside, the man that gave me my patition and was my coach was a local baptist minister. He obviously didn't find any conflict between his ministry and masonry.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Regardless of the claims of the "Christian" fanatics; Christianity and FreeMasonry are originally branches of Islam, Budha(Divine Wisdom) and the Universal Gnosis.

So there would certainly be no conflict.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu
Regardless of the claims of the "Christian" fanatics; Christianity and FreeMasonry are originally branches of Islam, Budha(Divine Wisdom) and the Universal Gnosis.

You forget to add " In my opinion" to that statment.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Student
As both a devout Christian and a Mason I have never found any conflict betrween the teachings of masonry and the message of Christ. Nor for that matter of any relgion with which I have come in contact with, or studied in collage.

What is the word? Sure you can't tell me but, what you can answer is this. Was the word at one point lost and replaced by another word?

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I'm not sure what your belief is, but to the best of my knowledge, Islam came after Christianity, therefore Christianity is not a branch of Islam. For Budhism, Christianity is completely different than it and has no similarities.

Wisesheep, I did not quite understand what you meant. You are a Christian it seems? It's always nice to see another proclaim Jesus as our saviour. God bless!

I am only wondering if anything in Freemasonry conflicts with Christianity. Not Christianity and other religious faiths. So far it seems as if Freemasonry does not conflict with Christianity as long as the Mason does not let it. And only certain freemasons conflict with the Christian faith, not Freemasonry itself. Please state your evidence if you have any, it is a rather important subject in my eyes.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by thexsword
I'm not sure what your belief is, but to the best of my knowledge, Islam came after Christianity, therefore Christianity is not a branch of Islam. For Budhism, Christianity is completely different than it and has no similarities.

I'm speaking in the Esoteric sense of an Eternal, Universal Secret Doctrine, one of which the founders of the Masonic Lodges were aware of.

Such as written about by Godfrey Higgins, H.P. Blavatsky, John Yarker, Hargrave Jennings, J.D. Buck, Rudolph Steiner, Manly P. Hall, Samael Aun Weor, etc.

See this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Wise

If you are refering to "the masters word"? That is one of the points I gave my oath before my God to never reveal. While you can find it on the internet with a bit of work I will not reveal it.

The proper way to find out the full story is participate in the third degree. Reading about the third degree on the internet, or in any book will never be the same as experiencing it in person in the way and manor it was designed to be passed from one master mason to another. The meaning of the degree is explained within the lodge to those men willing to receive it.

By the way that is real penalty of all masonic oaths, the man knows within himself that he has broken faith before his God, if he breakes his oath. The real binding is within the mason himself, not from without. While the only penalty masonry can impose is to expel a brother for breaking his oath, he has to live with the knowlege that he broke his word for the rest of his life. It is a very old consept that has fallen out of use in our modern world, but most masons still believe that giving (and keeping) our word is important.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
WiseSheep

An additional though. Masonic knowledge is freely given to any who seek it. We accept all me who are of lawful age, have a belief in a Supreme Being, and are of good character. The last is a nebulious term usully meaning that the man is intrested in learning about masonry and improving himself, as opposed to solely from the aspect of exposing the information to the general public or for finacial gain.

If you think about it, all knowlege is earned, throughout life. What is obtained with out effort is generaly without value. Ask and you will receive, but you must ask to join first.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiseSheep

What is the word? Sure you can't tell me but, what you can answer is this. Was the word at one point lost and replaced by another word?

The Lost Word of Masonry is an important symbol in the fraternity. Yes, the Word is replaced by a substitute It is the substitute, not the Word itself, that is given to the Master Mason. This allegory is rich with philosophical symbolism.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
The Lost Word of Masonry is an important symbol in the fraternity. Yes, the Word is replaced by a substitute It is the substitute, not the Word itself, that is given to the Master Mason. This allegory is rich with philosophical symbolism.

Here lies the problem and conflict between masonry and Christianity. You see the WORD is Jesus Christ. In John first chapter we see that in the beginning was the WORD and the WORD was with GOD and the WORD was GOD. It was never lost. The WORD was made flesh and dwelt among us (JESUS CHRIST). That's why satan has the masonic word guarded by the fear of men. If a Christian associates the WORD with anything other than Jesus Christ, he rejects him. If anyone goes a step further and associates the WORD with a fallen being (baal or on), he has blasphemed the HOLY GHOST (the unforgivable sin). satan is still playing the "ye shall be as gods" trick on men who want to fit in or 'be somebody' or perhaps 'join the crowd'. That's the goal of it is to make men think of themselves as gods.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiseSheep

Here lies the problem and conflict between masonry and Christianity. You see the WORD is Jesus Christ. In John first chapter we see that in the beginning was the WORD and the WORD was with GOD and the WORD was GOD. It was never lost. The WORD was made flesh and dwelt among us (JESUS CHRIST). That's why satan has the masonic word guarded by the fear of men. If a Christian associates the WORD with anything other than Jesus Christ, he rejects him. If anyone goes a step further and associates the WORD with a fallen being (baal or on), he has blasphemed the HOLY GHOST (the unforgivable sin). satan is still playing the "ye shall be as gods" trick on men who want to fit in or 'be somebody' or perhaps 'join the crowd'. That's the goal of it is to make men think of themselves as gods.

The problem here is that you're trying to compare apples and oranges.

In case you are not familiar with waht the Apostle John meant in his gospel, the word he actually used was Logos, translated as "the Word" in the KJV. This was borrowed from Greek philosophy, as Plato often spoke of the Divine Logos, centuries before the Advent of Christianity.

In Freemasonry, the Word is an actual word, a password, whereby the ancient Masons could travel in foreign countries, work, and recognize each other. According to legend, this word was lost before it was implemented, through the death of the man who had authority to reveal it to the craftsmen after their work was complete, and they had proven their skill in architecture and construction.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Oh dear 'Wise'sheep. It seems that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The 'Mason Word' has got absolutely nothing to do with The Word as described in the Holy Bible.

In the city there are a million words. This is just one of them...

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Rumplestiltskin....the lost word is Rumplestiltskin !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join