It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the Two Primary Reasons Why You Believe in God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
For me:

1) God tells my heart, soul, mind, and strength to believe in God.

2) The realization that I could not create a Universe, galaxies, solar systems, stars, planets, cells, molecules, atoms, subatomic particles...

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
1) Change in my character/healing experienced since accepting Him.
2) Witnessing the power of prayer.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
For me:

1) God tells my heart, soul, mind, and strength to believe in God.

2) The realization that I could not create a Universe, galaxies, solar systems, stars, planets, cells, molecules, atoms, subatomic particles...

Because I see 'GOD' and hear 'GOD' .. Those are my two reasons.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I could not create a Universe, galaxies, solar systems, stars, planets, cells, molecules, atoms, subatomic particles

When you say this aren't you contradicting yourself? Everything you just mentioned is the belief in science which is the exact opposite of God.

The Bible only says that God created Earth. Who knows what all those lights are up there in the sky? Who says you are being told the truth about them?

Anyway.

1. Evaluating and fixing my problems in my head could never have been done by myself. I know that God helped me, and taught me well.

2. I can't go on living in life knowing that there isn't a heaven. The dreams I have are too real, and to me are just a glimpse of what heaven can be.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
If the majority of people answer honestly, i would think the answers would be:

1) Heaven

2) Hell

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
So are you saying that maybe my answers weren't honest? or you meant...

Maybe that most people believe in God for trivial reasons? or that

A belief in heaven/hell (thus fear) drive people to believe in God? Note: belief in this sense is not acceptance...even the devil himself believes in God.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I could not create a Universe, galaxies, solar systems, stars, planets, cells, molecules, atoms, subatomic particles

YOU may not be able to .... but some HUMAN had to know it.. and figure it out to name it..

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowAmFound
So are you saying that maybe my answers weren't honest? or you meant...

No. I was not saying anyone has not answered honestly. I was implying that if everyone was asked, and everyone answered, that i think the majority of the answers would come down to those two reasons. For those who believe, they have a desire to be accepted by their creator. And, since humans inherently fear (instincts), they would also not want to be unacceptable to their creator. In most peoples minds i know these are the first two initiators into endevouring to comprehend their personal relationship with God.

Maybe that most people believe in God for trivial reasons?

No, this is not what i was implying.

A belief in heaven/hell (thus fear) drive people to believe in God? Note: belief in this sense is not acceptance...even the devil himself believes in God.

I think the belief of "heaven and hell" do act as a catalyst for wanting to understand and comprehend God, yes.

1) Heaven = acceptance for who you are. Acceptance by God
2) Hell = acceptance for who you are. Acceptance by the devil. (or presumably not being accepted by God)

This was was i meant.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I understand better now. I think I agree with you.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
if most people were being honest they would actually say they only believe in said diety because of how they were raised...

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
1.) He has shown me that he exists.. Maybe one day I will relate my story to you.. I don't know.

2) Believing that consciousness is a necessity for existence, I believe that there had to be a beginning or "prime" consciousness, which most call God.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
1) Begause I'm gullible

2) I'm too set in my ways to think for myself.

new topics

top topics

join