It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Pushed You Over the Edge?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What made you become a believer in whatever crypto(s) animal you believe in? Like what info. or experience pushed you over the edge? The only one I believe in is the Mothman, IMO it's a mutated Heren or something to that extent. Given that it was commonly seen around the Power Plant which is also lush in nature.

I also have a vague recollection when I was about 5 or so.....I actually believe I saw the Mothman or a similar creature....though I'm not ENTIRELY sure so I plan on dismissing that.

I want some more things to make a believer out of me!

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
well when i was a kid i just thought that bigfoot was a cool idea. i liked reading about it but i wasnt completely sure if it existed. at some point i stumbled across native american stories of the creature. then i realized that tribes all across the country had stories of the same creature. that for me was enough to convince me that it must be real.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm at a loss to understand why this topic has had little response because your question is pertinent to many members who contribute to this forum on a regular basis.
Maybe blind faith in the existence of certain crypto creatures is all some people need to believe that some hominid(s) exists in the American north west. This applies to many other crypto believers who have no solid evidence to clutch to other than a few frames of fuzzy video footage or a vague photograph from an undisclosed source. In an age of affordable high quality technology the hunters of these creatures, that cover the globe, still have no granite hard indisputable evidence to submit to the scientific community for scrutiny and thus the mystery endures.
Aquatic crypto creatures are possibly harder to prove due to the environment they inhabit.The Loch Ness monster probably rates as the most famous. I will not comment on mythical beasts because thatisexactly what they are.
To address your original question,nothing has pushed me personally over the edge. I stand firmly on the precipice of open mindedness. I am ready to accept the existence of many fabled creatures providing I am presented with factual scientific evidence but in many instances there is none to be had.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I am ready to accept the existence of many fabled creatures providing I am presented with factual scientific evidence but in many instances there is none to be had.

Yea same here, I would think. I agree with alot of what you said.

Dark Dude, that is very cool about the tribes. I suppose I might lean towards the Yeti. I don't believe in a Bigfoot like creature living in the U.S.. The Yeti's the only other one I believe in....the reason? I watched a show about it. Villagers had stories. I don't think they'd have much to gain from their tales.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I thought it was cool, so I started reading. Before long I was swallowing up books about the subject faster than I could believe. When I was 7 years old I knew what the Loch Ness monster was, and I could quote from several books about it.

You could say it's a part of me as much as my hair is.

As far as experiances go, the only one I had was an interesting experiance with a Bigfoot/Bigfoots.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Cool. Could you link or share the experience?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkDude
... then i realized that tribes all across the country had stories of the same creature. that for me was enough to convince me that it must be real.

They don't.

Folkloric creatures in Native American legends range from lizard-man to eagle-man to bear-fish to turtle-lion. There is not much commonality at all in the tales.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
they dont all have only one kind of story. many tribes do have different creatures and monsters, but there are a lot of legends about a giant hairy manlike creature roaming the woods.

Wig

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   
It was the Abominable snowman for me, and the later understanding that Bigfoot was America's Yeti.

There's no more to it than that, I just have an interest in the old Yeti stories and that turned into an interest for all things bigfoot - worldwide.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I'd gladly provide you with a link.

Here you go:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkDude
they dont all have only one kind of story. many tribes do have different creatures and monsters, but there are a lot of legends about a giant hairy manlike creature roaming the woods.

The oldest sasquatch-like stories are found in the Salish culture of the Pacific NW and some folklore in the Algonquin culture. Tales of a hairy man-beast did not occur over the rest of North America until it spread ('borrowed') from the original sources, some spread by white expansion. The flying serpent myth originally was much more widespread than the sasquatch.

The Native folklore is not a good indicator. Too much fancy melded with any original fact. And folklore was never used as history, it teaches moral lessons. Whatever kernel of fact existed originally has been embellished, altered, and modified over time and distance to further illustrate the moral lesson; each culture adapting the tale to their familiar surroundings.

One current theory is the sasquatch tales did not originate in North America at all. It is a remnant of vaguely similar tales from central Siberia and was brought to North America via the Bering land bridge migrations. In other words -- Sasquatch is an immigrant.

[edit on 15-12-2006 by dave_54]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
X Files actually, I wanted too see how fact and fiction were connected too the TV Show, and if any the featured stuff on the tv show could occur in real life hehe...

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
the overwhelming proof for most of them has made me believe in certain cryptids. That's about it. No personal experiences, however. Photos, videos, accounts, that's it!

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I've always had an interest in mythical creatures, as they are pretty exciting! But I don't believe in any of them though.. My interest was increased a lot though, when I started studying biology at the university, since I could now look at most creatures from a scientific point of view, which has helped me a lot.
(And assured my disbelief in these creatures)

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I was driving down the highway one night and saw a Bigfoot turn around and walk back into the forest.

Yea, I think that was the point that pushed me over the edge.

I've posted about it many times here already and even made a podcast on the subject. I was alone and I can't prove it. I know what I saw though and it was a Bigfoot and I have absolutely no doubt they are real.

wupy

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
As far back as i can remember, i've always been interested in things that doesnt seem to normal.. You know things like monsters and aliens.

I don't think i was ever really pushed over the edge, i've just always believed that there are some weird creatures out there

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I personally am the "prove it doesn't exist" type. If the possibility exists and it is theoretically possible I'm on board with it until it can be proven otherwise.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The Ceolocanth.

Seriously, all these scientists thought it was extinct for millions of years until someone caught one in the 70's! That really showed me that yes, a creature can be completely hidden from science and still discovered even in modern times. In a sense, this one event completely validated cryptozoology imho....

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What made me belive? The vast amount of evidience. El chupa has the slayings and all native tribes know of a "Wendigo" or B.F.G(big furry guy). Plus, I do not think that we are alone on this earth.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I truely believed that bigfoot (gigantopithicus) existed when I learned that it is in the fossil record. That, combined with all of the eyewitness accounts, tracks, pictures and centuries of stories of the creature from all over the world cause me to believe it's still around, even without absolute proof.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join