It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would it be Without T.V.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I used to watch television a whole lot more, some times for six, maybe seven hours a day. I would just sit there and stare at that screen, motionless, totally mesmerized by the flicker of the television. Sometimes I would watch reruns of shows I had seen recently. Sometimes I would watch things I wasn't even interested in like the fishing channel, or infomercials, especially infomercials. Somehow the infomercials made me feel good inside. Sometimes I would even order what ever it was they were selling, even though I didn't need it. My eyes would begin to sting after three hours of consistently watching t.v. I would try to look at something twenty feet away for twenty seconds every twenty minutes or so, this made my eyes hurt less. Now days I watch t.v. maybe for an hour or two a day, but I'm thinking about throwing my t.v. out and just not watching it anymore. Any way, the reason I'm writing this right now is not because I'm against t.v. or anything, I'm just wonderibg what society would be like without it. What would people do with all that extra time on their hands. Would people go out and exercise more, thereby improving their health? Would pepole sleep more and better? Would people start thinking for themselves more, instead of having their thoughts downloaded into their head. I want to know what you think, what would it be like without televison?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   
It can be very hypnotic. You are right about that.

I remember about 15 years ago, I had just gotten laid off from a great job.
I spent about 6 weeks watching TV, vegging out completely.
I got to know those infomercial people by their first names!

Nowadays When we go camping, sometimes we're without TV for about a week.
It's a good break..But at home I try limit myself to a couple of hours a day now..Mostly Educational stuff, and a few movies per week..

I think in general, life would be bettter without it at all.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   
No more obessity
no more buying stuff we dont need

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I could do without it completely. The only thing I give a dang about is educational stuff and dirtbike races and watching an occational movie. Its funny how it affects children, here is an example. Kids who have not been made to answer their Father as "sir" will suddenly find themselves addressing him as "sir" because they saw it on television. An entiere belief system can be programmed into your mind by watching TV everyday.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Who needs it? I certainly don't! The only stuff I watch is documentaries, and then it's only rarely.

Most of the stuff on is racist, hateful or just plain ignorant in some way or another.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
People's wisdom will upgrade because we must not learn from TV only.

One will do a better activity ,more useful thing to the life.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Going without t.v. would help couples pay more attention to each other and probably help relationships. Instead of stareing the t.v., you could "entertain" each other!

I hate most television shows they have nowadays. For the most part alot of it is just "brainless". Especially those stupid reality shows.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I can't watch TV. I only watch a total of about two hours a week. There are just too many intrusive adverts these days.

Not only in commercial form, and even in the actual shows you are watching. It just annoys me...

:shk:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I agree with you Elaine that those reality shows are stupid, but more than that, I think that they are evil.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Live would be fantastic without TV. One of the worst things ever invented. Rots kids minds as do the video games they play on them.

The TV is the devil's work!!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
100% more sane... don't get me wrong.. its helped tremendously... its shown us millions of different view points over the years...

but its run out.... the internet is the new television and they are having one heck of a fight against eachother.. fighting the enevitable... joining forces for the better.

the internet represents way more views... and its scary... on tv they can control the medium.. but on the internet... look out... we own.

[edit on 12/5/2006 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Where I live, unless you have cable, you can't watch TV, the signals don't come through, even on local channels.
Well, I had the cable turned off..
Now, TV is a treat, movies I have bought, video games, ect, I doll them out for good behaviour. Because the TV isn't on all the time, being allowed to watch it for doing something right has more of an affect than when it was on all the time.
I can't say I miss TV, except Animal PLanet, and the different Discovery channels, which were just about the only things I constantly watched.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Certain news stations are so desperaste for ratings that they now play funny or interesting you tube clips, ones that I've seen many times already. I have a good technique if I actually sit and watch the news for more than fifteen minutes. For the big stories and some of the smaller ones, whatever they tell you is going on, it is actually the complete opposite. So when thet tell you that the economy is going great and all these new manufacturing jobs have been created, they are lying, unless you consider fast food jobs as manufacturing jobs. I am digressing, but anyways you get the point

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
Live would be fantastic without TV. One of the worst things ever invented. Rots kids minds as do the video games they play on them.

Actually I saw a documentary on TV (oh the bitter irony!!!) that kids who watch TV have a slower learning curve than those who don't.
Strangely enough, kids who play computer games tend to have a higher learning curve than kids who don't.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Gear, does that include TV watching that only includes Educational TV?

Even if it did, I can see where passive participation, versus active..might make a difference.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
To be honest, I'm not sure.
The segment was only about five minutes long.

As a guess, I would assume that educational programs were not included, because they were not talking about educational games.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
lets see a while back (years ago) when my younger brother thought it would cool to try and climb the TV and smashing it by making it fall from the stand.
kind of sucked the only entertainment i had was playing board games and such.
even got the comment from my cousens how we can live without one.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I got around watching most TV by d/l the shows I liked. Although, there hasn't been a show I liked for years. Except CSI and Law and Order. Yes I watch Football, and Wrestling, Racing, Baseball, Basketball(Go Bulls! Grew up with MJ and will die with MJ!) but sports don't count. Actually though, life without TV would suck. Imagine having to wait days to find out what happened twenty miles away? Imagine having to wait weeks to find out who the new President is? Imagine politicians not being on TV for debates? Oh sure radio can give you most of it, but you can't see it. You can't see if the guy is wringing his hands, sweating, and look at his eyes to see if he is being sincere or if he is just giving a written answer. You can't see the polls, you can't see in a world that is visual. Humans use the sense of sight more then any other sense. They see something is red they know it is hot. Sound can't tell you it is hot can it? TV isn't evil, it isn't bad, it doesn't rot minds. You want to know what is evil, bad, and rots minds? Religon! WHo slaughtered millions of people throughout history? Religon! Who persecuted women for being women? Religon!(well most, some don't but the majority do) Who teaches people things that are completely wrong like Earth is flat, center of the universe, women are less then men, you must kill infidels, Religon! So, before you blame TV for bad things how about the thing that makes anyone who believes it dumber? 2+2=GOD!!!! ALLAH!!!! BUDDA!!!!!!! SHIVA!!!!!! WHOEVER I WORSHIP!!!!!!!!! You see, there were idiots out there before TV, and there will always be idiots even after TV dies. Also, TV was the devil, so was the radio, car, airplane, and Jazz music, according to the Church. Yet we all enjoy hoping on an airplane and going south or north or east or west. We all enjoy driving to work instead of walking. We, some, enjoy Jazz music. I know I enjoy playing Jazz on the radio, in my car, as I drive to the airport.

Ex

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
We have gotten struck by storms , here , and gone without electricity
for a few days before it can be restored.
During those times, we read more, talk more, and eat together.
( Who's BB-quin?)

Of late I have the set on but very rarely look at it,
just let C-span or CNN
run in the background.
I do love CSI , love to see all the medical stuff.
My Kids have asked me a few times within the
last couple weeks to turn the TV off.
They need to concentrate on school work
or something resembling

500 channels..and the propoganda is so deep, even they realize it.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
For me personally, I don't even own a television anymore. For news, I have radio and the internet. For entertainment I have DVD's.

I used to think that I would not be able to live without TV. How wrong I was.

Even though I suspect that there are some good things I am missing out on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join