It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NIRVANA: the last rock wave of Rock and roll.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Who agrees with my here.Nirvana where not only one of the best and most influential rock bands ever ( most proabably my personal favourites ) but they were also the last fresh rock and roll band ever. I mean look at the music industry nowadays, it's a joke. Everything is just a rehash, done very badly. Grunge was also a rehash but it was the last good wave of rock.
ther was
rock n roll
metal
punk
hardcore
grunge
?????? There is nothing else. Nirvana where the last great rock act that will ever be ( apart from my band hopefully :w: aaahahah )

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I am not sure about Nirvana being the only decent band in the last 10 years, but I do agree that Nirvana are probably the only band in the last 10 years to have been an influrence on Rock.

They changed grunge... And also Rock as a whole.

But... I think there are a few more bands that have/are changing Rock... For the good... I think the last 5 years have been a down time, where their hasn't been a lot of excitement. The bands that are now bringing Rock back up again are the Foo Fighters (Dave Growls' band - Used to be drummer in Nirvana in case people didn't know). And also The Darkness... I don't like the hype the Darkness get, but they are good.

I think this year will be a good year for Rock... Upcoming bands look to be very good, for instance... Funeral For A Friend.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Nirvana themselves were just a bad rehash of Killing Joke and several Aussie grunge bands.

Ask Dave Grohl, himself.

Over-rated minor league stuff.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I don't think they were over rated... But then I was not a music listener in the days they were rockin'

I prefer their earlier stuff... The first album "Bleach" was their best I reckon. (That was from before they were 'known' and popular)

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
There is nothing new in rock and roll.

Also, manufactured divas and boy bands and even most hip hop artists are easier to manage than rock stars running on hormones and drugs.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   
ayyep, after grunge died...

I've been waiting. Only a few bands since then that I think really rock.

Static X
Mudvayne
A perfect Circle
Old Korn
to name 3 that come to me lol

God I can't stand bands lnow, all those soft rock sounding nerd music.

lol best way I can describe it.

I started to listen to Nirvana when I was 11 and my step father had some of their music.

I fell in love with it the moment I heard it.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Lol...

The only 'new' bands I listen to are..

Static X
Mudvayne
Darkness
Nickelback

And some american alt.rock and 'punk' bands like:

American HiFi
Third Eye Blind
3 Doors Down
New Found Glory
Matchbox 20
Eve 6
Goo Goo Dolls

Lol, so quite a bit actually. Even though those last bands are pretty soft... I just love the music, I don't know why... Makes me want to be in America (I had a great time every time I go there).

But... As for punk... I don't think anyone makes it as good as Sex Pistols. None of the 'punk' bands of today even get close.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
for the alt rock... hmm eve6 is the only one i cand stand that you listed.

3rd eye blind... no comment.

Also I like this band called Dope, still like Godsmack though

my brain she no good.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Lol... Oh well

I don't like Godsmack... We all have our tastes.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Nirvana themselves were just a bad rehash of Killing Joke and several Aussie grunge bands.

Ask Dave Grohl, himself.

Over-rated minor league stuff.

Yeh but MA this isn't the point. You have to look at the grand scale of things. Can you name a band that have effected Rock music as much as Nirvana did? They really did. They where a combination/rehash of so many aspects of Rock music and it can't ever be done again. . .

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yea earthtone, sorry... We did go off the topic...

Yes... Nirvana did change things... And no... No other band since has done as good.
But like I said... I think this year will be a good year, and many bands will cut it.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
A small handful of bands that affected rock more than Nirvana did or will:

* Buddy Holly & The Crickets
* Beatles
* Beach Boys
* Rolling Stones
* Stooges
* Kraftwerk
* Sex Pistols
* The Birthday Party
* Limp Bizkit.

Kidding about Limp Bizkit.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Yea course those bands did... I'm talking about bands *after* Nirvana.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I think that right now the fusion of Rock and Rap is really big and has been for the last few years.

My favourite of these is Linkin Park.

And as far as music goes today I would say that Hip Hop reigns supreme, at least in terms of album sales.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
A small handful of bands that affected rock more than Nirvana did or will:

* Buddy Holly & The Crickets
* Beatles
* Beach Boys
* Rolling Stones
* Stooges
* Kraftwerk
* Sex Pistols
* The Birthday Party
* Limp Bizkit.

Kidding about Limp Bizkit.

I love all those bands except limp Bizkit. Pet sounds is always in my CD player. However thats not the question MA. Since Nirvana no band has had anywhere as near an effect on rock music and probably wont. The mars volta are the closest so far and Tool.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
I think that right now the fusion of Rock and Rap is really big and has been for the last few years.

My favourite of these is Linkin Park.

And as far as music goes today I would say that Hip Hop reigns supreme, at least in terms of album sales.

Arg... Hip Hop, lol. Can't stand it.

'Rap Rock/Metal' has been around longer than a few years...
Rage Against The Machine,
Anthrax,
Faith No More.
To name a few older bands... They started it really.

I don't mind Linkin park... Not a great fan though, but will listen to their music.

The reason I think that Rock is at a down point is that genres are being mixed, so now there isn't a lot of "Rock" or "Metal" or even "Punk" bands, bands are mixing it all. In some cases it's not a bad thing, but I just feel that is why Rock isn't as big as it was.

For me, here is a cut down list of bands that 'made' genres and really changed Rock music:

Rock and roll:

Elvis,
Queen,
Status Quo.

Metal:

Black Sabbath, (And then Ozzy on his own)
Deep Purple,
Thin Lizzy,
AC/DC.

'Rap Metal': I have already said above.

Thrash:

Slayer
Metallica
Anthrax
And then Clive Burton left Metallica and made his own band Megadeth, they also played a big part.

Punk:

Sex Pistols,
The Clash.

Grunge:

Nirvana,
Pearl Jam.

Pheew... Long list, lol. Anyway... There you have it... All our grandfathers (sorry if I missed any out).

The genre Hip Hop probably sells more records at pressent... But Rock still wins it with concerts, lol.
Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to put my view of bands that made a really big impact. I just hope there are some more to come inthe next few years.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 05:01 AM
link   
dont forget soundgarden under the grunge. i think their best album was super unknown

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by kurtcobainuk
dont forget soundgarden under the grunge. i think their best album was super unknown

Oh yea... Sorry... I knew I would forget some bands, lol.
Thanks.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MetalHead

Thrash:

Slayer
Metallica
Anthrax
And then Clive Burton left Metallica and made his own band Megadeth, they also played a big part.

You mean Dave Mustaine.

Anyway, I'd say the band that made more impact than Nirvana was Rage against the machine.
Let's face it, after Kurt committed suicide, Grunge died with him.
Because of RATM, band like Korn became more popular.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 05:28 AM
link   

You mean Dave Mustaine.

Anyway, I'd say the band that made more impact than Nirvana was Rage against the machine.
Let's face it, after Kurt committed suicide, Grunge died with him.
Because of RATM, band like Korn became more popular.

Yea sorry, lol. *how embarasing*.
Very true... RATM did start a lot of things..
I wonder if Audioslave will do as good? (band members from RATM and Soundgarden).

<<   2 >>

join