It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet 'Honda' to Impact Earth August 2011!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 04:39 AM
link   
...so can anyone help me out w/ my request from last post?

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Amma going to keep this thread alive, no matter what.
I know some of you don't go for the 2d look at this, but
it IS from a University, which seems credible and shows
direct hits, all the "missing Earth" stuff among the thread
is probably from NASA -- who, I don't truly trust.

There's a close miss in Dec of this year, needs to be looked at
again and again....

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
If it's a Honda no need to worry as the acceleration will be minimal. While it may be manueverable it won't be going more than 65 mph.

Just to lighten the mood a bit.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I may be wrong but didn't we recently find out what comets are made up of.. mainly Ice? I am pretty sure that comets don't pose much of a threat to us. It's asteroids that are dangerous.

Also.. these flat models don't give a true picture of the orbit as the object could be way above or below the planet in its orbit.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
5050 -- I read its the other way around. We can even use radio satellites to move asteroids off course, whereas these comets are unpredictable and reallly fast.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

Where did you get that info from? Comets as far as I know are well studied and tracked whereas asteroids, although many are documented, are much more difficult to see coming. They are also much denser and unpredictable as their orbits are usually unkown when they are first discovered.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
....I forget where I saw it, just tried to look to no avail, all that was out there was stuff about "gravity tractors" to nudge off-course. This article was from a recent threat of impact, before 2020, they make it sound like asteroid impacts were a thing of the past, it was within the last two months. . . .

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Like I said before, there is no way novice astronomers are going to tell me there is no PX or rogue comet when there's info out there stating that we don't even know all the K Belt objects..... I should track down some of the people I was having arguements/discussions about this and see what they say then.

Also, this thread has gone over and over the "it's only a simulator" and "NASA says" -- yeah, well Simon says airbrush a little more moon photos. I could careless how close/far the NASA site says the approach is, when have you believed them before? Some people here want the cake and eat theory, can't be like that -- this article about the K Belt proves that you don't know every object in the sky, the PX and rogue comet case(s) should be wide open IMO.

www.spaceref.com...

[edit on 21-10-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

Just thought i'd add this to give a clearer idea of what threat comets pose to us.

Link

I am yet to find any info to suggest that we can alter the path of an asteroid though...

[edit on 21-10-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
great, all this college for nothing!

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
5050 -- did you find that clip about radio satellites/veering asteroids yet? I got some time today to look should you not of.... thanks for the link but I don't really subscribe to the mainstream news reports of this nature, anything linked to NASA personally smells of conspiracy -- I still think this is worth investigating more. . . .

[edit on 22-10-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

No I didn't, but i would glady look if you could provide a link? If you had taken the time to look at my link, you would have seen that it was just information on what threat they pose.. which could be significant. There is nothing of NASA on there as it is from the national geographic.

Please, if you have some legitimate information share it as i wouldn't know where to start looking.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Awesome, I found the article HERE. I knew I wasn't losing it and was totally shocked when reading this:

However, the asteroid is not likely to repeat the plot of Hollywood blockbusters, as modern technology would allow the asteroid's orbit to be corrected using small satellites, Shustov said.

"To blast an asteroid, as some hot shots suggest, is quite an unpredictable step, and a more cautious approach is welcomed now," he said.

He said that a microsatellite with 10 liters of fuel could correct the path of the space body.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hmm interesting. I was aware of Apophis but didn't think there was anything we currently had to redirect it. I don't know if this means we have the technology now or that it should be available by 2029. Oh just for the record.. I also read somewhere that Apophis may hit us in 2036 if it misses the first time round!

I honestly can't remember what they had said about this because i'm sure that they must be doing something to avert disaster but there seems to be no mainstream info about what the plan is?? I haven't got the time to look into it at the moment so maybe you could anhinga?

EDIT - More detail on Apophis and the reason there is not much info on plans to redirect it...Apophis

[edit on 22-10-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Here are a couple of images of Schumaker Levy 9 that struck Jupiter on the southern hemisphere on 7-17-94. Remember Jupiter is about 300 times larger than Earth... This was an extremely rare opportunity to view a direct comet impact. We have meteor and asteroid strikes some where on earth every day, however since we are comprised of 98% water, they generally strike in the ocean without incidence. A comet is very fragile and you could actually pull one apart with your bare hands. Still it would have grave repercussions if we took a direct hit by one.

ftp.seds.org...

[edit on 22-10-2007 by antar]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If your looking for a real close call, how about 2005 YU55.

cfa-www.harvard.edu...

0.01794 AU in April of 2010
0.001065 AU in November of 2011

There's only one opposition, so it could be off. If it's off just a little, it may hit us. It's about 430 feet across so it's pretty big.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This is no reason to panic. It is relatively easy to make these kinds of simulations with a little help of a tutorial. I don't believe any scientist has spoken out about this either. Until theres a quote, or source, that is not manipulateable multimedia then don't believe it!

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
What looks to be a hit is a 9 million mile miss that is still very close and will be a great sight to see, but it is too crude to show anything closer within 10 million miles and still show other planets and the orbit of many of the comets too.

Now asteroids are another story altogether for they get much closer all the time. The next closest encounter with one will be 2005 YU55 on 2011 Nov. 8.98 (about midnight on Nov 8) within 0.001065 (99,000 miles, closer than many satellites!) I think it has a 1 in 45,000 chance of hitting the earth, and that is too close for mostly chances are done in the 1 in 10s of millions or more.

The closest in the next 150 plus years is this bad boy in Apr 2029; Apophis will miss the earth by only 21,500 miles! This guy just missed us in 2004 and on this next miss in 2029 the gravity of the earth could set us up for a hit in 2036.

You never know what else is out there that might hit us, but comets are not one of them.

[edit on 22-10-2007 by Xtrozero]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I guess you missed my post, look up a few posts.

We are well within the margin of error with 2005 YU55.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is an awesome program for viewing the cosmos in 3D....

www.shatters.net...

I highly recommend it!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join