It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge denies Bush the power to choose which groups are terrorists.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
In a move called the "Humanitarian Law Project," lawyers saught to challenge the law that gave Bush absolute power to designate which groups he views as "global terrorists." The new ruling challenged Bush's decision on adding the groups 'Liberation Tigers' and 'Partiya Karkeran Kurdistan' to the global terror list.

news.yahoo.com
LOS ANGELES - A federal judge struck down
President Bush's authority to designate groups as terrorists, saying his post-Sept. 11 executive order was unconstitutionally vague, according to a ruling released Tuesday.

The Humanitarian Law Project had challenged Bush's order, which blocked all the assets of groups or individuals he named as "specially designated global terrorists" after the 2001 terrorist attacks.

"This law gave the president unfettered authority to create blacklists," said David Cole, a lawyer for the Washington, D.C.-based Center for Constitutional Rights that represented the group. "It was reminiscent of the McCarthy era."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article states that this is reminicent of the McCarthy Era, which is a period in history where a law known as the "Alien Registration of 1940" passed and gave the goverment the right to choose who is viewed as a Communist. The White House spokeswoman declined to comment, but no doubt, this is going to be a large thorn in Bush's side.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Bout time.

(I'm happy to take my punishment for a one-liner on this one.)

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Ok now people who claim were living in tyranny do you see? Democracy in action. Our checks and balances are doing what they were meant to do. This is not NK, Cuba, or Suadi Arabia here.

Apparantly this decision does not rescind any of the previous groups, but does bring them into question. Can anyone find a list of these groups or is it publicly available?

Cole said the judge's ruling does not invalidate the hundreds of other designated terrorist groups on the list but "calls them into question."

[edit on 11/28/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Ok now people who claim were living in tyranny do you see? Democracy in action. Our checks and balances are doing what they were meant to do. This is not NK, Cuba, or Suadi Arabia here.

Methinks the protest is a bit much and a tad quick.

The vaunted 'checks and balances' were dismantled with all those emergency measures and Executive Orders - we're talking how many years and how many whistleblowers to make this happen?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Can anyone find a list of these groups or is it publicly available?

I was looking through the FBI website for the list, and it redirected me to this page:

www.tkb.org...

The FBI page that links to this site is located here. At the bottom of the page, under resources, click "Terror Databases."

If the FBI links to this site for the terror list, then it must be pretty accurate.

[edit]

Looking around that site, I found a link which gave a current list of foreign terrorists organizations, which can be found here.

[edit on 28-11-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Ok now people who claim were living in tyranny do you see? Democracy in action. Our checks and balances are doing what they were meant to do.

Couldn't have said it better myself

This article really brightend my day. No one person should have absolute power to determine things like this, imo.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Wow, I was'nt even aware he had granted himself that
authority in the first place.

Well I'm glad the judiciary has started doing it's job
and keeping the Executive in line.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
'Partiya Karkeran Kurdistan' Couldn't they be classed as Rebels or Freedom Fighters, due too most the time they are only fighting the millitary.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Freedom Fighters! - does such a term exists as a commen expression today?

I think it's now patented and a registered trademark only to be used for US Armed Forces, anyone else using it is violating international copyrights.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Isn't this the very same judge that struck down a ruling for one of alleged terrorists in Gitmo that SCOTUS over turned?

Leave it to Kalfornia judge

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Isn't this the very same judge that struck down a ruling for one of alleged terrorists in Gitmo that SCOTUS over turned?

Leave it to Kalfornia judge

So you are saying that the Prez should have those powers then?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Yes I am. I happen to think he would know who are and who are not suspected groups with all the intelligence agencies he has at his hands.

The only reason I say this is because if you left it up to congress it would take months if not years because of all the bureaucracy involved.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Yes I am. I happen to think he would know who are and who are not suspected groups with all the intelligence agencies he has at his hands.

Would those be the same intellegence agencies that claimed Saddam had WMD?

Oops, a mistake.

Would you be so open with this if they made another mistake and declared ATS a terrorist agency?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Would those be the same intellegence agencies that claimed Saddam had WMD?

Would you be so open with this if they made another mistake and declared ATS a terrorist agency?

There is no intelligence agency that is perfect and we all know it. Look how it failed prior to WWII.

As far as making another mistake, I am sure all agencies even the Canadians will make mistakes even they are not perfect

Also I still wonder if it really was a mistake and only time will tell if he still had wmd's no one really knows except Saddam and a few others, yet it is still conceivable they and I am just saying may find them and if they do all the Bush bashers will have to run and hide or they will crawl back into their holes.

[edit on 11/29/2006 by shots]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
But don't you think that Bush can fall victim to double standards? That he labels no-terrorist as terrorists, and real terrorists as non-terrorists? I can't trust one man's judgement on that. That cannot be possible, so I applaud what judge has decided.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I can't trust one man's judgement on that. That cannot be possible, so I applaud what judge has decided.

I highly doubt it is as you assume. I am sure before he makes any decisions as to who terrorists are he and other members of his staff confer on the matter, based on current intelligence reports.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Even so, I don't trust it. It would probably be poltically biased, and still have double standards.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
it would probably be poltically biased, and still have double standards.

No it wouldn't. Keep in mind he confers with members of his cabinet at their daily briefings and with members of the intelligence community either on conference via phone or in the room and I do not think all of the are not from one party as you assume

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
In Other News...

President Bush amended Executive Order 13224 today to designate U.S. District Judge Audrey Collins a terrorist and instructed federal agents to detain her indefinitely pending a military tribunal.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Well I'm glad the judiciary has started doing it's job
and keeping the Executive in line.

And who keeps the Judiciary in check? The power the robed few have given themselves, it takes a constitutional amendment to overturn them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join