It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Divine Proportion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 09:52 AM
link   

This number is referred to as "PHI" and the Divine Proportion. It is the line of beauty. It is used in architecture, nature, everywhere, and we don't notice it. It got it's nickname from ancient civilizations because they realized it's significance. What is this number really? Why is it everywhere we look, and in God's blueprints for nature?

PHI

PHI.... in the human face

PHI, all about

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This is a ratio. Interesting but really I dont see much more to it. It is mathematically relevant just like many other formulas. As far as its power to evoke emotional responses, I dont believe that. Its all in what the observer would want to see. See it for what you want to and not what you read on a website somewhere. If it is a special thing for you, then let it be. If it doesnt mean anything more than any other ratio or number, dont force it to because others tell you it does.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hmm...It is interesting...but again..it is just a ratio..and if the viewer of the ratio wanted to see some divine thing in it...they probably could..then again...when I saw it...I strangely pictured a double cheeseburger with fries and a drink...hmm...

-wD

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It is very old story about Plato, Brothers Masons� Sacred geometry is the root of the roots of beauty and perfection

In nature, we find patterns, designs and structures from the most minuscule particles, to expressions of life discernible by human eyes, to the greater cosmos. These inevitably follow geometrical archetypes, which reveal to us the nature of each form and its vibrational resonances. They are also symbolic of the underlying metaphysical principle of the inseparable relationship of the part to the whole. It is this principle of oneness underlying all geometry that permeates the architecture of all form in its myriad diversity. This principle of interconnectedness, inseparability and union provides us with a continuous reminder of our relationship to the whole, a blueprint for the mind to the sacred foundation of all things created.

Sacred Geometry Home Page by Bruce Rawles > Link...

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
that is a nice quote, thanks kronos, that sums it up pretty well

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsidethemilkglass
. What is this number really? Why is it everywhere we look, and in God's blueprints for nature?

PHI

PHI.... in the human face

PHI, all about

~~~+++~~~

Appreciate the links, outsidethemilkglass :::

golden ratio, golden age, golden rule...sometimes,

i take them with me- when going fishing- cuz they like to get out too...always in tomes & sanctuaries and not out there enjoying life, like a "roll up dem pant legs & bait up a hook" kinda lazy, southern day...

oh.. just nod,...if you make noise....you'll scare the fish...

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
This is a ratio. Interesting but really I dont see much more to it. It is mathematically relevant just like many other formulas. As far as its power to evoke emotional responses, I dont believe that. Its all in what the observer would want to see. See it for what you want to and not what you read on a website somewhere. If it is a special thing for you, then let it be. If it doesnt mean anything more than any other ratio or number, dont force it to because others tell you it does.

There is some amount of truth in what you're saying. Seeing something Divine is up to the observer no matter where it is they find it. Divinity is a reference given to something Godlike, Superhuman or the infinite cycles and beauty of Nature. Anyone who is not open to or in search of such things then anything Divine will most likely be hidden or passed over. Same would go for those who already have defined their source of Divine Inspiration. Personally I think Divinity by it's very nature can be found within all things and is really up to the observer to see it. Certainly nobody is trying to force a change in Religious or Spiritual belief toward Science or "God" becoming a Mathematician. However what should be evaluated by everyone regardless of their beliefs is the fact that "PHI/phi" does prove itself to be one of the best signs of Divinity ever recorded.

In a sense the Golden Proportion can be considered as supra rational or transcendent. It is actually the first issue of Oneness, The only possible creative duality within Unity. It is the most intimate relationship, one might say, that proportional existence � the universe � can have with Unity, the primal or first division of One. For this reason the ancients called it �golden�, the perfect division, and the Christians have related this proportional symbol to the Son of God.

Why, it may be asked, cannot Unity simply divide into two equal parts? Why not have a proportion of one term, a:a? The answer is simply that with equality there is no difference, and without difference there is no perceptual universe, for, as the Upanishad says, �Whether we know it or not, all things take on their existence from that which perceives them.� In a static, equational statement one part nullifies the other. An asymmetrical division is needed in order to create the dynamics necessary for progression and extension from the Unity. Therefore the f (phi) proportion is the perfect division of Unity: it is creative, yet the entire proportional universe that results from it relates back to it and is literally contained within it, since no term of the original division steps, as it were, outside of the direct rapport with the initial division of Unity. This is the essential difference between the division of unity by the square root of 2 and its division by f (phi), both of which are geometrical proportions.

One might also consider that while PHI/phi cannot "Define" God or "Spiritualistic" Divinity in it's Entirety, PHI/phi does in fact allow for Mankind to prove repeatedly that such boundless Divine Influence is all around us, even within us! Again, taking PHI/phi and applying it to Life and Nature from the Micro to Macro allow Mankind to understand and witness Divinity at Work to whatever percise calculation is possible at the time. One last thing I'll mention is that if One was to consider the fact that PHI/phi are found throughout the Human form from it's DNA to Bone Structure along with the common belief that "GOD made us in HIS FORM", One might then consider PHI/phi to be the Signature of GOD in "Mathematical or Scientific Terms" and a Repeatable Proven Link between GOD, Nature & All Mankind!

mOjOm

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   

One might also consider that while PHI/phi cannot "Define" God or "Spiritualistic" Divinity in it's Entirety, PHI/phi does in fact allow for Mankind to prove repeatedly that such boundless Divine Influence is all around us, even within us! Again, taking PHI/phi and applying it to Life and Nature from the Micro to Macro allow Mankind to understand and witness Divinity at Work to whatever percise calculation is possible at the time. One last thing I'll mention is that if One was to consider the fact that PHI/phi are found throughout the Human form from it's DNA to Bone Structure along with the common belief that "GOD made us in HIS FORM", One might then consider PHI/phi to be the Signature of GOD in "Mathematical or Scientific Terms" and a Repeatable Proven Link between GOD, Nature & All Mankind!

true mOjOm

but a what i have said so many times is a God can be anything, it can be a pattern repeated many times or a group of people together, so PHI could very well be a God in itself, though this may conflict with your beleifs, i suppose it could also be called a law.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsidethemilkglass
true mOjOm

but a what i have said so many times is a God can be anything, it can be a pattern repeated many times or a group of people together, so PHI could very well be a God in itself, though this may conflict with your beleifs, i suppose it could also be called a law.

I certainly identify with what you're saying. My peticular spiritual beliefs don't conflict at all in embracing PHI/phi as Divine. I've been studing PHI/phi, Fibonacci, and the Golden Ratio for years now and it still is amazing to me! I am in full agreement with you in your opinion of PHI and it's incredible meaning within the Universe. Finding some definition for "God" is arbitrary in this case. My post earlier was actually an effort to back up your topic with an alternate perspective. People can sometimes get a bit defensive about "Their God" and like you I wanted them to atleast try and give it a chance. I'm actually working on something right now that you may like. I'll post it in here when I finish....Shouldn't take too much longer....

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
i think it is incredible how much it is in the human's face. in architecture (the best thing on earth), it is used with roof lines, or at least unofficially. It's funny, If you build a roof line to what looks good, it is very close to the PHI ratio, but do get that posted, you have me waiting.

new topics

top topics

join