It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swearing and how Not to

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
My nan is REALLY against swearing.

She has never sworn in front of me, and whenever i offer to tell her about the new 'cuss' word, she just says "I don't want to hear it."

Infact, I don't think she has EVER sworn in her life......

I was wondering, what other things do people say or do instead of cussing?

My nan says " Esh kadoo kadoo " instead of swearing.

She says that it is swearing in chinese.

I will usually say "Oh jeez cracker christ" or " Shivers" if i need to swear.

This topic could be interesting.

Any input?

Anybody got something they do or say instead of swearing???

[edit on 25-11-2006 by Unrealised]

Mod Edit: CAP title

[edit on 25-11-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I tend to call someone sweetheart, or honey when I want to call them something else, and you reaaly have to bug me to get called my dear.
My darling dear is the worst though.
And I say effing and putz. Putz is my favorite epitaths.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalseParadigm
I tend to call someone sweetheart, or honey when I want to call them something else, and you reaaly have to bug me to get called my dear.
My darling dear is the worst though.

Ooooooooooh......yes.

I can feel the sting of 'my dear' right now.

I can imagine if it's said slowly, it will be as sharp as a razor on your humbling button.

Right on.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I very rarely ever swear. I believe the last time I've sworn in the last 5 years was a couple of months ago. People who would like to overcome its use should try thinking of non-swear words that wouldn't offend such as (I'm sure some of these will easily be recognizable with their curse word counterparts):

Shoot
Darn
heck
forget

It seems that many people have to compose themselves almost like someone who is trying to quit smoking. Most people can stop cursing cold turkey, others can do it slowly by incorporating different words into their vocabularly.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
My fiancee says 'freaks' or 'freakers' instead of the f-word. Its rather funny.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I usually say Dang, Crap, Darn, Oh Snap. I dont curse that much though.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Striker122
Oh Snap.

Hahahahahaha!

That's actually really funny.

Did all you guys learn 'how not to swear' off your parents?

Is the choice not to swear a personal decision?

Also, are any of you reformed swearers?

I know I am, although the only swear word I NEVER EVER EVER said was the 'c' word.

I think it's just a disgusting word that has no place rolling off a persons tongue.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I love to curse.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I must confess, even though I am the creator of this post, that I too, Lysergic, love to curse.

Just not the 'c' word.

Even thinking about the curse-words makes me giggle, because I am immature.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, all I can say is I am guilty of cussing in my normal vocabulary,....

But I do try to refrain in sensitive situations, and in front of "certain" people, but I still get my point across using witty verbage.

Such as,..... cheese -n- rice!

or,...... Chopped Ham!

And when someone says "that's not funny", I respond with,......

"defecation occurs"

My .02 worth of humor.

Later,... Ausable_Bill

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I curse when I can, and don't when it's not appropriate.

a woman I know, used to make her husband say "poopy pants", instead of the name he wanted to call the other drivers.

They are now divorced.

[edit on 26-11-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Thanks to Battlestar i have replaced the Fword with Frak. I used to say farfegneugen but its too dang long to replace the fword with. Frak is shorter and more to the point...ololol.

I have replaced my cursing due to work habits and to be an all around better (non-potty mouth) person.

Crud
Dang
Cheese and Rice
Frak
Arse

Those are the extent of my cussing these days.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The only time i dont swear is when im front of my parents and then i just say "jesus christ" or "for "god sake" so when i dont swear i blasphem (sry bout da spelling) i really need to come up with new words to use

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I don't swear, either. There's been a few occasions when I did ("god-damn" was the epithet, I believe) ... and it REALLY stopped conversation in the office because nobody had ever heard me swear before.

I use frak, occasionally. Most often, though, it's "conFOUND it!!!"

My (adult) kids do know how to swear... they just don't do it around me. Our son doesn't swear around his wife or his daughter.

My parents never swore around me. I always took it as a sign of a limited vocabulary. I like old-fashioned cursing ("may the fleas of a thousand camel-infested rugs devour your sensitive bits"), which is imagintive and funny. But the modern swearing/cursing is just tedious. It's done for shock value and ends up just being noise.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Byrd, you said it.

Limited vocabulary.

That...good....word....use....describe?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I swear all the time in just normal conversation,
" I'll get my s**t together" "what the f**k is that guy driving like that for"
and so on...

I think it's all about who I grew up with, in England kids these days and turning more and more into violent little s**t's (oops sorry) and it becomes a part of their language.
I have always lived in a little village (probably 3000 population) and my school days I knew everyone who hung around outside (probably 60-70 kids of all ages from 14-19) we all smoked the green stuff and we hung around causing trouble when it suited us for fun.

There are worse places like cities and the young kids form about 11 or younger are now doing what I was doing at 14 except now they all carry knives...
England is become a sess pit...

[edit on 27-11-2006 by chris01621]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I am proud of who I am BUT! if there was one thing I could change about myself... it would be my foul mouth. And it is foul.

I am far too intelligent to spit out 'f' every chance I get but its SO GREAT a word!!! Noun, pronoun, adjective, verb, adverb... it can be all of the above!

I so wish there was a prettier word that I could replace it with. I have looked at people and thought 'he would be hot if he didnt sound like a dumbass'. Opps. See! Im a lost cause.

Hell, I curse as I curse others for cursing. I gotta LOT of work to do. F^*&. -sigh-

Humans, what a funny species. Must be nice to watch. Wonder if the atmosphere and all of the skys are really their 'fishtank, cage' and they ponder in on us? I'd be pissed. :w:

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I use frak, occasionally. Most often, though, it's "conFOUND it!!!"

Do I sense another BattleStar Gallactica fan?
I watched the show and heard them saying that word many times, and at first thought they said the actual word. Then I turned on captions and realized it was "frak." it's quite ingenious, and very effective to those who want to get rid of the "f" word from their vocabulary.

Thanks for mentioning it.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
the only swear word I NEVER EVER EVER said was the 'c' word.

I think it's just a disgusting word that has no place rolling off a persons tongue.

I agree and while I do tend to curse I won't go there and actually cringe if someone else does.

So my neck's kinda sore ... I'm watching OZ season 1 through 6 at the moment
I still love that show though

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I curse. When i think about it, sometimes no other word will put across the meaning you are going for. They seem to add that extra...........punch,or emotional energy that you can only express through the use of curse words.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join