It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should We Change the Definition of Religion?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
In the Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary (published in 2001), definition 1 of religion is the following: "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containg a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

I would add to this excellent definition the following: "and never promotes violence towards any person, religious or non-religious."

Would you add, subtract, or keep the same the Webster's definition and my addition?

With my addition, which religions would no longer be considered religions?

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Don't forget about Islam...............your addition holds no blood.....er water.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
In the Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary (published in 2001), definition 1 of religion is the following: "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containg a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

I would add to this excellent definition the following: "and never promotes violence towards any person, religious or non-religious."

Would you add, subtract, or keep the same the Webster's definition and my addition?

not being violent, or being violent are part of the beliefs.. sooooo it varies from 'religion' to religion...
I for one am part of no religion... I represent and believe in the living GOD, not a man-made believe system... nor dead words... but the living word, which is everywhere, in every book and under every stone and in every cleaved piece of wood.

edit: changing religeon to religion Oh goodness I should shoot myself for spelling religion wrong when theres a perfect spelling of it present. .lol

[edit on 11/21/2006 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
Don't forget about Islam...............your addition holds no blood.....er water.

Do you believe that God is violent? If He is, then certain religions would be justified. If He is not, then certain religions would not be justified. I believe God is Infinitely Pure and Infinitely Nonviolent. I believe God is Love and Peace.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
If we changed the definition of religion for positive reasons, and then effectively regulated it under this new definition, would we end all wars and potential wars? Would we end all crime and potential crime? Would we end all sin and potential sin?

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   

If we changed the definition of religion for positive reasons, and then effectively regulated it under this new definition, would we end all wars and potential wars? Would we end all crime and potential crime? Would we end all sin and potential sin?

I wish it were that easy my friend.. definitions won't change it though...

the only thing that will change it.. is stepping out of it.. and into the Living GOD...
Religion is mans obsession with GOD (Humanities thoughts collapsed onto one second)
so once we stop obsessing over GOD, we can better listen to what he's saying NOW...

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If the world converted 100% to Christianity in the next 10 years, what would the world and Heaven look like 20 years from now?

If the world converted 100% to Islam in the next 10 years, what would the world and Heaven look like 20 years from now?

Is the earthlife a simulation of what was, is, or will be occurring in Heaven and Hell?

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   

If the world converted 100% to Christianity in the next 10 years, what would the world and Heaven look like 20 years from now?

If the world converted 100% to Islam in the next 10 years, what would the world and Heaven look like 20 years from now?

Is the earthlife a simulation of what was, is, or will be occurring in Heaven and Hell?

The world is in essence 100% Christianity now... nothing is more predominant than that.. therefore it consumes 100% of the world.. everything else is 'inferior' or 'superior' to it..
.. so my answer would be... after the past 2000 years of it, it seems its just lead to confusion and mass hatred for 'jews' and christians alike (from muslim and non-muslim alike).. its seen as stupid.. or awesome

IF the world were Islamic..... people would live in FEAR... people would feel controlled, and peoples free-will to learn would be in Islamic faith revoked. Because any action that would be taken that an unbeliever would do would than cause the person to have issued a self-signed death warrant.
Because it seems mercy is only for believers?? much of it is contradictory, kill and have mercy? .. I dunno sounds confusing too... slightly more problematic than Christianities confusion.. but none-the-less not everyone is happy..

Hrm.. your question

is a very good question..

My answer would be...... earth-life (outside of US) is a product of everyone on the planets thoughts run thru equations and collapsed onto what we see as the planet and universe, signifying ONE thought, made from the equation of billions of peoples thoughts.
as peoples thoughts change, thus the world changes... (everything in the room your in is/was a thought at one point)

and depending on your own condemning thoughts you are either in heaven or hell with yourself... and others around you...
Sorry, but there is no distant planet called heaven...
You are a machine, a beautifully made machine that houses THOUGHT. and its marvellous machinations of creating reality.
Amazingly enough we've had enough 'locked' doors to keep us from killing ourselves... until recently.. now its up to US to control ourselves... no longer will our FLESH or body control US... locking us up (out of love for the rest of humanity) but now too many have unlocked too much and have put the rest of the world in jeopardy with their flawed knowledge, because there is only ONE way, or ONE door that is the 'safest' route to ALL.
God is humanities thoughts collapsed onto one second, into the single UNI-verse... (the ONE WORD)...
PLEASE OH PLEASE tell me your following all this..

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

If we changed the definition of religion for positive reasons, and then effectively regulated it under this new definition, would we end all wars and potential wars?

No - changing 'our definition of religion for positive reasons' means nothing more than a 'new and improved' man's philosophy...( I no longer believe it when plastered all over my new jug of laundry detergent - and it doesn't work in religion, either!)

The purest sense of the word 'religion' is indicative of each soul's individual growth and development - just like in the physical - start as babies, grow to tots, terrible teens, etc....we are growing up in God even as we grow up in the worldly sense....and how can we REGULATE such a thing? God designed us for His purpose - to be manifested among us and us glorified in Him - surely a child does not suggest to the parent what would be more suitable for the other children in the household; as determined, monitored, and enforced by ... another child!?!?

This is not the Lincoln County War....God does not require 'regulators.'

Perhaps helpers, and surely servants - only after a certain maturity is attained - and by that time it becomes apparent thhat regulation, and the desire to control, is man's way, not God's.

Would we end all crime and potential crime? Would we end all sin and potential sin?

There is NO way to end any kind of transgression or crime through legislation OR regulation - governmentally speaking as well as spiritually.

Only when man is a self-governing soul, able to choose rightly on the side of LOVE in every dealing he has in his every act in life....only then will crime cease - and certainly war!

Of course, it is implied, that with self-government, men no longer seek to be judges over their fellows....and without judgment and favoritism, there is no condemnation.

I actually DO have one singular suggestion that I think might help a seemingly hopeless situation...

Change the word 'christianity' to 'brotherhood' and think of it as existence rather than observance (religion).

Act accordingly and 100% inclusively - serving the needs of others without bringing up personal issues, such as God, to those we serve...eventually they will ask, be sure! And when they ask, it is because they want to know. And the reason they will be willing to hear is because another person was willing to fill their belly, soak up their tears, take them where they needed to go in the cold winter days...and give up an extra coat so that they might be warm, too....

THAT IS the only way to end war and crime and misery and death.

God Bless you, GT! I love you!

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I would subtract all of it, but your addition.

and, in the right light of not participating in the promotion of intolerance and/or violence towards anyone, then perhaps then there would be room for everyone, instead of the will to totally eject souls from our planet, our lives, or our very existance, or our very universe. When we choose to eject souls from our existance, we promote other existances, and other universes/multiverses.

Another thought provoking thread authored by GreatTech!

you definatley ask many of the right questions GreatTech. thanks for promoting thought on our favorite sight!

[edit on 22-11-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
religion:

1) the only time where being irrational is not only ok, but required

2) an institution that creates a control mechanism to comfort people and distract them from truely facing the reality of death

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
religion:

2) an institution that creates a control mechanism to comfort people and distract them from truely facing the reality of death

madnessinmysoul, were we not all dead before we became alive? Why then can we not experience life again after human death?

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
religion:

madnessinmysoul, were we not all dead before we became alive? Why then can we not experience life again after human death?

No... human death is just death... it is end of a great and marvellous thing, you will regret not being more aware, you will definately repent your error of allowing yourself to die.. when one has come to give you the keys unto life. life eternal.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy

No... human death is just death... it is end of a great and marvellous thing, you will regret not being more aware, you will definately repent your error of allowing yourself to die.. when one has come to give you the keys unto life. life eternal.

Thank you for your comments. How do you reconcile "allowing yourself to die" and your signature that suggests we experience "destiny." Who is "one"?

Life is eternal, but does that mean humans have always been alive in one shape or form or another?

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Thank you for your comments. How do you reconcile "allowing yourself to die" and your signature that suggests we experience "destiny." Who is "one"?

Life is eternal, but does that mean humans have always been alive in one shape or form or another?

our destiny is to live forever in harmony...(together)

ONE is the living WORD... and all those who are servants/sons of the living WORD..

[15:15] Henceforth I call you not servants; for the
servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called
you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I
have made known unto you. [15:16] Ye have not chosen
me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should
go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain:
that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he
may give it you. [15:17]

No... YOU are Eternal... you ARE life.. THe past is an illusion, there only exists NOW, there only exists the LIVING WORD...
If you are alive now.. you have always been alive.. because you are just energy flowing thru a machine... you are THOUGHT moving magnificantly thru the flesh..
You are electricity running thru a beautiful dirt machine that can be kept alive if you run the proper energy to the proper functioning parts..

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

our destiny is to live forever in harmony...(together)

ONE is the living WORD... and all those who are servants/sons of the living WORD..

[15:15] Henceforth I call you not servants; for the
servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called
you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I
have made known unto you. [15:16] Ye have not chosen
me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should
go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain:
that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he
may give it you. [15:17]

No... YOU are Eternal... you ARE life.. THe past is an illusion, there only exists NOW, there only exists the LIVING WORD...
If you are alive now.. you have always been alive.. because you are just energy flowing thru a machine... you are THOUGHT moving magnificantly thru the flesh..
You are electricity running thru a beautiful dirt machine that can be kept alive if you run the proper energy to the proper functioning parts..

PuRe EnErGy, thank you for your inspirational comments. I believe that Life is Eternal from the present on forward, but sometimes have difficulty conceiving of my Life and other peoples' lives as also being Eternal from the present on backward. When I think of my life before conception and birth, I sometimes think that I have a few characteristics of the Archangel Saint Michael (my birth name is Michael) battling Satan for God's purpose of Goodness and Greatness. This could be an illusion or delusion, but I also believe it could be real. Thank you for the broad definition of Eternal.

Can we discover as a human what we were before being human beings? If not, do we discover this after human "death"?

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Is there an official definition of Christianity? Should there be? Is there an official definition of Islam? Should there be?

If there were official definitions of all religions, would world violence be curbed or eliminated?

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Assume the definition of religion is: "belief in God".

How would you respond to the following equation: God minus religion is equal to complete anarchy and complete violence?

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Was the first religion established before the first definition of religion? Or was the first definition of religion created before the establishment of the first religion?

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Are there religions in Heaven and Hell? Is the religion we believe in at the second of death related to which religion we we will follow in the afterlife? Are certain religions favored in the afterlife? How much does it have to do with our own definition of religion and our church's definition of religion?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join