It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Become a Ufologist??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Can anyone post how to seriously become a ufologist?

How do these guys get a steady income, do they have second Jobs etc.

Its a field ive been looking into and would be gratefull if anyone could post anything on the subject.

Personally i think it would be hard to maintain a second job as a source of income because of you get a scoop you need to be up and on the move fast..

As for book deals etc, income from this would only come after years of research into the subject.

Cheers in advance..

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Most of the 'famous' ufologist are classically trained in other areas. Physics, ngineering, Journalism, and other areas are where a large chunk of them come from.

To my knowledge, there is no 'school' that gives degrees in ufology, and you are a ufologist as soon as you consider yourself one.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
There is a book though. I rec'd it as a gift a few years ago and when I looked through it I was surprised at all the stuff the average person with interest in Ufology might not think of to get involved with research. Anyway, it's called:

The UFO Investigators Handbook.
The Practical Guide to Researching, Identifying, and Documenting Unexplained Sightings.

by: Craig Glenday

Forwarded by: Stanton T. Friedman

Published by: 1999, Running Press Book Publishers

It's a neat little book w/pics. 144 pages.

Dallas

sbj

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Ufologists, like Hank said, are traditionally scientists in some other field that carries over into the research of UFOs and Extra-Terrestrials. I asked the same question zeetroyman did to a paranoral researcher at a conference one time in regards to being a "professional." Basically you get a degree in a chosen science field, then let that carry over to your research. Also, that degree is what makes your findings credible.

Some universities will fund research like this, but for the Stanton Friedmans of the world, they make their money on books and lectures.

So get your degree in physics, astronomy, etc, then do good quality research and write a book. After that you can get booked at lectures (though sometimes you can without a book depending on the conference). Then you get paid.

Also, you may want to look into becoming affiliated with MUFON. They have people regionally that train field researchers. That will also help you along the way, and whomever they pair you with for your training will be able to guide you toward your goal.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Professional Ufology is a marketed farce, but if that's really the direction you want to take then here's what you need to do:

Study in the fields of science, engineering and physics most applicable to aliens - write your thesis on the application of these fields of expertees in understanding, researching, and developing theories on the UFO phenomenon. Publish your thesis. After that, start out by looking into all the "classic" cases of UFOs, researching them and developing theories for each based on your knowledge - publish this as your second book.

Now comes the legwork. You need to go out and actively find people, taking down their stories. Speak to military radar operators, airforce pilots, try to find as many people as possible who have stories to tell. Then actively seek out a few people who've had an "encounter", better yet, work with the national UFO reporting center on their most convincing cases. Compare your findings, note consistancies and inconsistancies between the cases and facts, then concoct a theory based on that. Publish your third book.

By now you should be making some noise within the community - albiet a small amount of noise. You'll need to get up on a soapbox, and the best soapbox around is GCN. Try to get on that or any other paranormal radio station where your theories won't be challenged, plug your books, your name, and your theories as much as possible. Be sure to have a website before you do this. You'll gather a following if what you're "uncovering" is interesting and convincing enough.

Now you're probably about ready to make a few documentaries using the money from the books to buy yourself a good camera. These should include lots of tantalising footage of UFOs, photographs of EBEs, and interviews with people, as well as various experts talking, but with you being the main focus in a Michael Moore style way. Sell these documentaries on your website as well as in video cassette and DVD form. Plug them on radio shows. Always pitch the scientific angle, pitch your theories, and to add a vaneer of believability, debunk a few radical and unlikely "incidents".

By now you should be an up coming figure. Study study study from here on in. Know the field of UFO research like the back of your hand - collect reports, work on theories, work with other researchers and UFO report database centers. Get on friendly terms with top level conspiracy theory celebs like Alex Jones, Jeff Rense, etc. which should help raise your status. It might help at this stage to get an agent or advisor.

Remember, the three most important things in pro UFOlogy are; publicity, contacts, and money.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Journalism (investigative)

Ufology unfortunately, isn't always about the truth but about a good story.

But, to be taken seriously, you will either have to have a degree in science or break a story within the UFO or paranormal community...aka Graham Hancock route.

I would think an interesting book would be about how Canada, Australia, and the UK tie in with top secret US aircraft and UFO sightings. Those three countries may indirectly have some information that people would find interesting.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Cheers for the replies guys, most interesting..

Guess ill need to go down the breaking story route or start more thorough investigations when im old and pipesmoking.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'm very happy I found this thread, as I too being 16 was looking into this field of work, i'm glad many of you contributed. Many thanks.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbjthen do good quality research and write a book. After that you can get booked at lectures... Then you get paid.

And after that people accuse you of being in it only for the profit... and that you should share your research for free or its not valid...

I am sure a search on ATS will produce a few thousand of those comments

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Lets be honest guys, there's no point in trying to honestly and openly investigate UFOs. CGI is that good now that literally any photographic or film evidence you may get hold of will almost certainly be deemed to be computer generated. It's too hard now to percieve at whats real and what's faked! Take a look at youtube if you don't believe me. Any one of those films could be real. . ! Any one of those films is easily replicated by someone wishing to creat a hoax. . !
Investigating UFOs, much like ghosts, is a potential minefield littered with the dead of those who dared try to shed some light on these difficult subjects.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Why not U2U Frank Warren.

He is a member of ATS and has his own web site.

www.theufochronicles.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
i currently film ufos in my skys and im thinking about becoming a ufologist but i have other theorys in science i would like to get copyrighted as my ideas when i get known can i do that and how

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
no discrespect to frank, but ive seen a few of his posts as breaking news when they have been cases that have been ongoing for years..

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zeetroyman

Being honest seeing is believing. In my youth, yeah had lots of friends into the sci fi stuff, doctor who, battleship gallactica, star wars. Never gave any of it a minute, just enjoyed reality, it took a ufo orb experience to move me to actually pursuing ufos in their own right.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Good Day Zeetroyman,

Originally posted by zeetroyman
no discrespect to frank, but ive seen a few of his posts as breaking news when they have been cases that have been ongoing for years..

No offense taken; however, I don't post "old case information" as breaking news; what I attempt to do is post interesting datum, that will enlighten the reader and incite intelligent discourse.

You previously wrote:

Can anyone post how to seriously become a ufologist?

How do these guys get a steady income, do they have second Jobs etc.

First, I don't mean to be facetious; however, the definition of a Ufologist needs to be detailed to give a proper answer.

A Ufologist in my view is one who studies the UFO phenomenon; there have in fact been courses over the years in Ufology, given by various Ufologists, unfortunately, those were/are far and in between!

Henceforth, your studies and or your path will be self-determined; how "serious a Ufologist" you become also evokes another question: How serious are you?

As to an "income" in Ufology . . . if that is a prerequisite for you then my advice would be stick to it as a hobby, or personal interest.

The mythology that exists about big bucks for writing books and being on the lecture circuit is just that! This is not to say that there aren't exceptions to the rule; however, to say that most sober Ufologists are passionate about the subject matter would be an understatement! Much like witnesses after the fact--it's in their blood! It becomes a life altering experience. (Of course many witnesses have become Ufologists). Money isn't a factor.

That said, ironically, I have always stated that the the biggest problem with Ufology is the "lack of funding."

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Ah Frank you beat me to it!
Basicly everything our respected Mr.Warren stated is the most simple and honest way to look at this subject.
There is no official degree or title you can earn.
A person that researches and studies UFO's is a UFOlogist as soon as they become so involved in the subject that they perceive themselves to be so or others perceive them to be so.

It's a quest for knowledge and truth. a journey that few are willing to undertake publicly.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by NephraTari]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
cheers for the insight guys.

As far as ufology goes, im talking about taking it that extra mile. Sure ive studied ufology for close on 25 years. Im always sceptical, read or watch any literature on the subject, and even go as far as contacting the MOD with regards to specific cases.

Im more talking about getting out there, contacting witnesses for statements, investigating the most current sighting in your area etc, and reaching out further around the globe to investigate those "special" sightings.

Ideally this is what i would like to do at one point in my life, guess ill just need to plug away at the retirement fund until then.

No disrespect frank, i can see where you are coming from with your posts, letting those that dont know about certain sightings and bringing it back to the limelight and refreshing the minds of us old ones

Im sure our paths will cross during a UK sighting at one point.

( ps i am organising a camp over at the dechmont law landing site on the night of the 30th anniversary of the landing if any of you uk patrons care to partake )

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zeetroyman

I'm sorry for not reading the whole thread, I'm short on time today. I do want to reply to your initial post however.

I am an independent UFO Researcher, and I can tell you from firsthand experience, there is no money in it for those who are interested in the truth.

I hold down several jobs to make ends meet, and work in fields that vary from BioFuels to Computer Programming.

But for someone who seeks truth, it is worth the price. If you'd like an example of how I do it, you can read my documentation of the Battle of Los Angeles here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It takes hard work and dedication to solve ANY mystery, and you've chosen one of the biggest mysteries around
But if you are interested in finding truth, and you use the scientific method as your guide, then my friend, you are a UFO Researcher already.

I look forward to seeing your database grow! Welcome to the fold

-WFA

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well - there is a following for the UFO Hunters on TV - so perhaps you can start your own internet UFO Hunters.

(either by yourself or with a group of new ufologists)

If it goes viral you will likely find a place on some website that may pay you - or maybe the talk show circuit.

However - if you make it big don't be a chump and ignore your audience - like many of the more famous UFOlogists I have corresponded with.

You may even use Facebook / Twitter / etc to increase your audience - tho I admit I find those irritating - but I am not in the majority it seems...

You certainly can do better than that guy on TV who runs UFO magazine!

(a decent enough publication - but that guy gives serious UFOlogy a bad name - he has no sense of reasonable skepticism)

Good Luck!!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
1. Find a specialized part of UFOlogy you`d like to dedicate research too.

2. Research. Find some stuff not published yet, not known yet.

3. Write a book about it.

4. Establish a website. Have your book published or publish it yourself.

5. Visit Conventions and give Speeches.

6. Be an UFOlogist

7. Do it all again and again until you have a reputation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join