It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Jazzera Now in English

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The Arab news station Al Jazzera is now broadcasting in English. So far there are no takers among the US Broadcasting Corporations. Al Jazzera has been criticized by both Western and Arab countries for having people from each side of conflicts on; Arab vs. Israeli, US vs. Terrorists. They try to let each side air their views. They have a very large cast of reporters, some of whom have come from CNN and BBC. Money should be no problem because they are funded by the royal family of Qatar. Their intent to cover the developing countries may not go over in the west, but now the option will be there.

apnews1.iwon.com
Al-Jazeera English went on the air at 3 p.m. (8 a.m. EST), broadcasting from the station's headquarters in Doha, capital of the tiny Persian Gulf state of Qatar

The station has broken new ground covering once-taboo political, religious and social subjects, while airing interviews with opposition figures and Israeli officials who previously were absent from other Arab networksThe station appeared eager to show its global reach, moving to live reports from correspondents in Sudan's Darfur region, Iran, Zimbabwe and Brazil and breaking in with a report on a tsunami warning in Japan.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Most interesting, now people will not have to comb the internet to find information on what is really going on in the world. Could this end fortress America's news black out? At least we will have another view to analyze. All too often we receive only what the Corporate Stations want us too.

It will be harder to hide events from Americans and sneak in those fake news broadcast. It could bring back the days of real coverage of war, not some embedded reporter who depends on and bonds with the troops he is covering. It will be harder for Americans to turn their back on their fellow man. We may find out that Darfur is more than just a speck on the world map.

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net

[edit on 15-11-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Can I get it on C-Band?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
at this time, you can get it on aljazeera.net...
just click the live stream....as far as i can tell

just why would BBC and CNN, and others......promote a competitor?
it may take months before the english.aljazeera is available to American
subscribers thru GlobeCast.

[edit on 15-11-2006 by St Udio]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'm sure it'll eventually end up on U.S. digital cable lineups-- they have plenty of bandwidth.

I would actually like to see it.

[edit on 11/15/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, October 8, 2005; Page A01

Al-Jazeera, which is launching an English-language network with Washington as a major hub, has landed its first big-name Western journalist: David Frost. And the veteran BBC interviewer says he's perfectly comfortable with the unlikely marriage.

"I love new frontiers and new challenges," Frost, 66, said yesterday from London. He said the new network, al-Jazeera International, has promised him "total editorial control" and that he had checked out the company with U.S. and British government officials, "all of which gave al-Jazeera a clean bill of health in terms of its lack of links with terrorism."

But the Bush administration has repeatedly denounced al-Jazeera. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has accused the Qatar-based operation of promoting terrorism and "vicious lies" and has banned its reporters from Iraq. The State Department has complained about "false" and "inflammatory" reporting.

[edit on 15-11-2006 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to watching this actually... time for a change from media owned and controlled by friends of Israel and telling all the rest of us how to think about everything. Maybe I would actually watch TV again if it was allowed control by new people with perspective not entirely for their own advantage.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Co-opting a few high profile Americans and Brits seems like a good strategy to gain some acceptance. It will also make them less of a target. You certainly couldn't attack an icon like David Frost. If nothing else in can serve to balance the 'fair and balanced' new network.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I want to see it but I don't want even 1 cent of my money going towards
it.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Cool, I'd definately like to see it.

I'd like to have more than one mainstream media outlet
to trust, and that's neutral.

I hope that it becomes available here.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
this is pc gone to far i say the fact that this is aired just goes to show we are getting into two americas the ones that wiil go down swinging and the ones that will go down on a prayer rug.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Cool, I'd definately like to see it.

I'd like to have more than one mainstream media outlet
to trust, and that's neutral.

thats a joke nuetral, watch it for 1 minute and then say that. just another anti american anti isreal channel

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by trinityatthebridge
thats a joke nuetral, watch it for 1 minute and then say that. just another anti american anti isreal channel

Umm, I was'nt talkin about Al-jazeera, as I've never seen
it before.

I was refering to CNN.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm sure it'll eventually end up on U.S. digital cable lineups-- they have plenty of bandwidth.

I would actually like to see it.

[edit on 11/15/2006 by djohnsto77]

Surprisingly Dj they said it will be about a year, the cable companies say there are no channels free right now. LOL My box goes to like 1200 channels and 1/2 the time the channels skip over unused channels. I think they are trying to give them a hint.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
www.washingtonpost.com...

"I love new frontiers and new challenges," Frost, 66, said yesterday from London. ...he had checked out the company with U.S. and British government officials, "all of which gave al-Jazeera a clean bill of health in terms of its lack of links with terrorism."

But the Bush administration has repeatedly denounced al-Jazeera. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has accused the Qatar-based operation of promoting terrorism and "vicious lies" and has banned its reporters from Iraq. The State Department has complained about "false" and "inflammatory" reporting.

Thanks TA.

...So US government officials "gave al-Jazeera a clean bill of health in terms of its lack of links with terrorism" - but "the Bush administration has repeatedly denounced al-Jazeera" - and "Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has accused the Qatar-based operation of promoting terrorism."

Can't these guys ever get their stories straight?

Anyway - I think it's great - Frost is wonderful - and I will check out Al-Jazeera soon.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by trinityatthebridge
this is pc gone to far i say the fact that this is aired just goes to show we are getting into two americas the ones that wiil go down swinging and the ones that will go down on a prayer rug.

How is freedom of press and freedom of broadcast politically correct?

I abhor how PC this country has become, but this in no way is PC.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Fascinating how CBS news covered this...

"Do you want Osamas Favourite channel in America?"

"Nobody in America wants to listen to enemy propaganda"

"Al jazzeera known for broadcasting terrorists!"

Amazing really.CBS seem to think that the american public are too stupid to make up their own minds on what to watch.
They actually seemed scared of the competition.Or maybe they were worried to lose the monopoly on "propaganda."

I have never thought of Al Jaz as enemy propaganda,in fact it would not surprise me to learn that its a western Inelligence Project.
Why? Because it creates bad feelings in the middle east against the US.
Which is just what the US government wants...I mean,its harder to start wars with people who may not hate the US.
Keeps the war ticking along.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I have been watching AJ at my company for a over a year now. We get it via satellite feed - in arabic. We are able to automatically translate what is being broadcast through a proprietary system which converts spoken arabic into typed arabic, and then typed arabic into typed english. This facilitates easy searchs for keywords and content. The system is even asute enough to be able to recognize and categorize individual speakers. Anyways....

From what I have seen, the actual "news broadcasts" appear to be no more worse in content and propaganda than the Fax network, albeit from the opposite side o the spectrum.

Where you find the blatant anti-west, anti-American stuff is when you see the "in-depth" stories by an individual reporter (a al Geraldo Rivera), that are usually placed in between the "news on the hour" broadcast.

But in reality, its not as bad as many have made it out to be. However, I cannot fathom anybody in the US who would be interested in the content of AJ, except for the odd ME immigrant and political science major......

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
About a year ago i actually saw a list of the journalist and general production crew they were chasing after to set up their English language operation and i was pretty impressed at the time considering how many of the journalist left other broadcasters due to their apparent interest in taking up alternative lines of investigation...

en.wikipedia.org...

If i did not know any better ( considering where most of these journalist came from) i would not believe anything they said! If anyone is interested in some in depth investigation try discover if most of these journalist did in fact leave their original employers due to differences over editorial policy; this might be a very interesting new twist or just more of the same!

Whatever the case may be the odds that this will be worse for your mind than what you have seen so far seen on public broadcasters is quite remote!

Stellar

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Al Jazzera......Fox news for Arabs.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Al Jazzera......Fox news for Arabs.

I don't think there is much chance this will turn into fox considering the ,relative, pedigree of their ex CNN,BBC jounalist; no, these will be good mostly convicing liars.

Stellar

top topics

<<   2 >>

join