It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MI5 chief's terrorism warning

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   

MI5 knows of 30 terror plots and is keeping 1,600 individuals under surveillance, the security service's head has said.

In a speech to academics Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller said the terror threat was "serious" and "growing" and would be "with us for a generation".

She warned future terrorists could mount chemical or nuclear attacks.

Tory security spokesman Patrick Mercer said the UK needed more "spooks and secret agents" to tackle the problem.

Source.

Apparently five terrorist conspiracies have been thwarted since 7/7. Again we are reminded of the terrorist's desire to use nuclear or biological weapons. We are assured that this threat will be with us for a generation. We are again reminded that although some may be skeptical when it comes to the necessity of new powers of control and enforcement, there is a real threat, and the powers that be need the resources to deal with it. However, I find the most telling information to be tucked away at the end of the article:

"Over 1,000 arrests have been made under anti-terrorism since 9/11 and out of those, 27 have been found guilty. Out of those 27, only nine have been Muslims,"

27 convictions? 9 Muslims? That doesn't sit nicely with all the scare stories now does it?

The same story from Reuters:

Manningham-Buller said it was clear from so-called "martrydom" videos that suicide bombers were motivated in part by "their interpretation as anti-Muslim of UK foreign policy, in particular the UK's involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan".

A growing number of people were moving "from passive sympathy towards active terrorism" through being radicalised or indoctrinated by friends, families or organised training events in Britain and abroad, said Manningham-Buller.

She said television and Internet chatrooms had helped to attract greater numbers.

"Chillingly, we see the results -- young teenagers groomed to be suicide bombers," she said.

Source.

[edit on 9/11/06 by Implosion]

[Mod Edit: Corrected factual error at poster's request]

[edit on 2006-11-10 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
apparently britain is infested with terrorists. Some are even threatening a nuclear detonation to further cower the british population. I hate to say it, but i looks like europe is a losing front on the war on terror.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Damnit. I didn't mean 27 arrests, I meant 27 convictions. If you think that 27 convictions means that Britian is infested with terrorists, then so be it. What I want to know, is if there's so much evidence of shadowy terrorist plots against the largely innocent population, then why the hell is that number so low?

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
come on guys, do you really believe this sad lonely woman:

look at her.

click on the pic.

news.yahoo.comnews.yahoo.com

she just wants a bit of attention.

Mod Edit: Link format edited. Please review this post.

[edit on 11-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Implosion, remember those who have been arrested under ATL incude peacful demonstartors outside downing street etc. As you rightly pointed out on the one hand there's a terrorist in every take away yet the figures say the opposite. Its probably just another ploy for big brother UK. I mean if there charging people who demonstrate under this legislation then there should be millions of terorists in the UK should there not. More bull faeces from the fascist regime that runs the country.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I recommend that you steal, borrow or even buy a copy of The Second Oldest Profession: Spies and Spying in the 20th Century (1986) by Philip Knightley.

His take on the secret services of the world is interesting and may be instructive when looking at statements like this.

A basic summary

'We (the spies speaking to Govts) need more money.
We've stopped things happening, gives us more money and we'll stop more - we can't prove we've stopped it because it didn't happen.
Although that looked like a chance interception it was actually based on careful, dedicated work by us. That's what we spend your money on - can we have some more?
It's happened, if only we'd had more money we'd have stopped that'

His premise is it's all deniable, unprovable, service and governmental ego that keeps the espionage bubble afloat and its actual proven contribution in any war is very doubtful.

The statements by the MI5 chief should (IMO) be looked at with this in mind

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I absolutely agree with strangerous, but would add that the agent provocateur activities of MI5 anf 6 need to be taken into account.

Let's not forget that these were the people who gave £100,000 to Al Qaeda to assassinate Muammar Qadafi. It all went wrong and people were killed of course... and our tax monies made it happen. And then when David Shayler exposed it he was prosecuted for his pains.

There's also quite a bit of evidence to suggest that the security services were behind the London bombings - the video Ludicrous Diversion (look for it on Google Video) points up some of the many anomalies of that fateful day and our government's response to it.

The announcement (and Blair's ringing endorsement) demonstrate that our rulers are trying to govern us through fear. I just hope the British people are sufficiently phlegmatic that this approach will not work, although Alex Jones' interview of the flower seller who wored near the site of the shooting of Jean Charles de Menenzes at Brixton station. who said, "I think it's ok for us to give up some of our liberties for freedom", gives me pause.

Face the facts, people. The UK is becoming a police state, like it or not, and its tentacles are creeping into all our lives. I have had to have a CRB check to teach in schools. Some of you may think this is a good thing, but frankly, I don't think it does anything other than accustom us to the state looking into our private lives.

Here's the latest absurdity I've come across. A friend of mine does life class modelling. He strips naked so art students can draw him. In order to get work, he has had to have a CRB check. How ridiculous is this? What are they worried about? Do they think that someone might expose himself to an art class? It's pitiful.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Sorry to quote myself but it was late at night and I didn't express myself well, I now can't edit it so this is what I meant to say

Originally posted by Strangerous
I recommend that you steal, borrow or even buy a copy of The Second Oldest Profession: Spies and Spying in the 20th Century (1986) by Philip Knightley.

His take on the secret services of the world is interesting and may be instructive when looking at statements like this.

A basic summary

Spy agencies are in the business of preserving their future, increasing their budget and the nature of their work means that actual results are impossible to quantify / prove. They use this fact to further their aims.

To paraphrase what they say to their governments:

'We need more money - the threat, which we can't actually prove, is more of a threat than it was before.'

'We've stopped things happening, gives us more money and we'll stop more - we can't prove we've stopped it because it didn't happen.'

'Although that looked like a chance interception it was actually based on careful, dedicated work by us. That's what we spend your money on - can we have some more?'

'It's happened, it's an outrage. If only we'd had more money we'd have stopped that'

His premise is it's all deniable, unprovable, service and governmental ego that keeps the espionage bubble afloat and its actual proven contribution in any war is very doubtful. He has excellent examples of where the talked-up value of intelligence operations in warfare didn't, actually, contribute that much at all - ENIGMA for example.

The statements by the MI5 chief should (IMO) be looked at with this in mind

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Muslims have been in UK since long.
Why they are becoming terrorists now?
Have we spread the terrorist activists worldwide after innvasion of Afghanistan and Iraq?
Is this phenomenon of "terrorism dissemination" linked to Arab-Israel conflict?
Middle east coflict is a century old, why is Judeo-Arab war reflectinng in UK now?

chaudri

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   
well, there has been more attacks this year from Irish Republicans in the last month so im suprised that MI5 are only focusing on Islamic terrorism.

A bomb was found the other day in Northern Ireland, that failed to go off, which was designed to kill police officers in the community, plus an attack on a police station and the bombs that destroyed numerous stores in Northern Ireland.

C-IRA and the Real IRA are our biggest threat

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
These warnings shouldn't come as a surprise. Al-Qaeda will probably be focusing on Europe in the near future after claiming the Republican election defeat, and Rumsfeld's resignation, was a victory in America. I would not be surprised to see a major attack in Europe before New Year.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I find the comments about nuclear weapons funny. North Korea has trouble making one and they have scientists, money and the technolog required and yet they want us to believe someone is going to cook one up in his one bedroom flat using bakeofoil and sticky-back plastic.

Ok so they might aquire a suitcase nuke from somewhere, but i would think our intelligence services would pick something like that up. Afterall according to reports they have thwarted 6 plots so far.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
apparently britain is infested with terrorists. Some are even threatening a nuclear detonation to further cower the british population. I hate to say it, but i looks like europe is a losing front on the war on terror.

We are not losing MI5 is a outstanding bureau, I know we are moving into dangerous times But MI5 will provalle. I tell you that 97% of the country supports MI5 and we always fight back, We wont lay down and take it!!!

Originally posted by mr conspiracy

look at her.

click on the pic.

The MI5 head is good at her job she has an outstanding organisation that dose its job to the fullest. She is just telling it how it is, not trying to say "its ok there is a bit of a problem but your ok" but being honest.

”WE have some very hard and scary times ahead. We might suffer one or two attacks against us BUT WE will recover and rebuild. They can not crush our spirit. They shall not win WE WILL”

Support MI5 support England

Thank You

Alex

[edit on 11/11/06, by alex1981]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I think we need something like MI5 here in the U.S., the FBI was never intended to deal with terror threats that first and foremost need to be prevented. They were designed around solving crimes after the fact.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Im sorry to hear that djohnsto77 There are so many organisations in the U.S. I thought there would be like MI5????

MI5 are helping the U.S. an intelligence they get that involves the U.S. is passed on to you mate so hopefully?

and thanks for the support!!!

Alex

[edit on 11/11/06, by alex1981]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by alex1981
Im sorry to hear that djohnsto77 There are so many organisations in the U.S. I thought there would be.

MI5 are helping the U.S. an intelligence they get that involves the U.S. is passed on to you mate so hopefully?

Alex

The much-maligned USA Patriot Act broke down some walls between internal law enforcement (FBI, DEA, ATF, etc.) and intelligence (CIA, and various military intelligence organizations), but still I think it'd be better to have an agency dedicated to internal surveillance to prevent terrorism from happening (like MI5), not mixing the duties of the FBI which are first and foremost there to solve crimes and get clean evidence to be used in court to convict people.

[edit on 11/11/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr conspiracy

look at her.

click on the pic.

Too tell you the truth she is either schizophrenic or not human...very very scary picture....thanks alot. I wont be able to sleep tonight

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

That pic is BAD i have not seen that one, thanks for making me laugh

Thanks

Alex

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link. I also removed a lot of the laughing.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by alex1981
We are not losing MI5 is a outstanding bureau, I know we are moving into dangerous times But MI5 will provalle. I tell you that 97% of the country supports MI5 and we always fight back, We wont lay down and take it!!!

Mate I seriously doubt that more than 15% of the UK population could even tell you what MI5 does or what 'MI' stands for - go on admit it you just invented the 97% figure didn't you?

Oh and it's prevail

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The much-maligned USA Patriot Act broke down some walls between internal law enforcement (FBI, DEA, ATF, etc.) and intelligence (CIA, and various military intelligence organizations), but still I think it'd be better to have an agency dedicated to internal surveillance to prevent terrorism from happening (like MI5), not mixing the duties of the FBI which are first and foremost there to solve crimes and get clean evidence to be used in court to convict people.

I do agree with you the problem is FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF they are all dealing with the problem and im sure there are lots of communications breakdowns its a shame the size of the U.S. personally i really really like the U.S. i dont want anything more to happen cuz i plan on moving to the U.S. sometime soon (hopefully)

but im sure you will get through it evencherly just like us !!

but i do feel for you djohnsto77 all the best luck for the future mate

Take care Alex

top topics

<<   2 >>

join