It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11/09/2006 | History Channel - Decoding The Past: Mayan Doomsday Prophecy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Greetings all,

Because of the good deeds of others I have been able to catch some programs of great interest to me. Hopefully with this post I can return the favor.

Channel: History Channel
Program: Decoding The Past: Mayan Doomsday Prophecy
Rating: TV-PG V

Times:
Pacific: 9pm
Mountain: 7pm
Central: 8pm
Eastern: 9pm

Description: The world is coming to an end on December 21, 2012! The ancient Maya made this stunning prediction more than 2,000 years ago. We'll peel back the layers of mystery and examine in detail how the Maya calculated the exact date of doomsday. Journey back to the ancient city of Chichen Itza, the hub of Maya civilization deep in the heart of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, to uncover the truth about this prophecy. The Maya were legendary astronomers and timekeepers--their calendar is more accurate than our own. By tracking the stars and planets they assigned great meaning to astronomical phenomena and made extraordinary predictions based on them--many of which have come true. Could their doomsday prophecy be one of them? In insightful interviews archaeologists, astrologers, and historians speculate on the meaning of the 2012 prophecy. Their answers are as intriguing as the questions.

LINK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Added 'ex' tags and a link

[edit on 9/11/06 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'm just bumping this so that those who may be browsing the forums tonight will have an opportunity to watch the show if they're interested.

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
the world will not end in 2012, the so called archeologist's that interpret the mayan calender's are the same people who think atlantis exist's, it's all hog wash

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Fair enough trewth, but it might still make for a good hour of television.

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by trewth
the world will not end in 2012, the so called archeologist's that interpret the mayan calender's are the same people who think atlantis exist's, it's all hog wash

That was off-topic. Pokey Oats is only pointing out a program to watch and hoping for discussion after viewing it.

If you think it's all hogwash, why bother posting on a thread about the Mayan Calendar?

Incidentally, it isn't that the world will end, but that an era will end. The Maya called these eras 'worlds'. This particular era ending is (correct me if I'm wrong) the Fourth World.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pokey Oats
Fair enough trewth, but it might still make for a good hour of television.

Pokey Oats

I agree that it should be a good show, but I've already read some websites and blogs which are saying the show will be an attempt at debunking more than anything.

I'm looking forward to the discussion

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
darn! !! I;m not home now and my son wants to watch something else!!!

Is it online?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
my point was i don't have to watch the program to know it's hogwash, i don't think it's cool trying to scare people that's why i wanted to express my opinion and obviously there are people here that don't want me too, we're all going to make it, the world is what you make of it, you don't have to worship negativity and death grass hopper

[edit on 9-11-2006 by trewth]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

my point was i don't have to watch the program to know it's hogwash, i don't think it's cool trying to scare people that's why i wanted to express my opinion and obviously there are people here that don't want me too

Why don't you start a thread about why you think it's hogwash and stop trolling on this thread, trewth? I'd be happy to post on that debate.

Nobody wants to silence you, trewth, but on this thread about a television program you are posting off-topic.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
off topic? the topic say's doomsday mayan prophecy and i gave my opinion there will be no doomsday, you can still watch the silly t.v. show if you want, i'm not going to stop you masqua

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The topic is this

11/09/2006 | History Channel - Decoding The Past: Mayan Doomsday Prophecy

A television program.

The debate about it will be what is presented on the television program.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Off topic comment removed.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by TheBandit795]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This thread will remain on topic. It's about the Mayan doomsday prophecy tv show. All discussion further on in this thread will be about this show and nothing more. If you want to start a thread on the Mayan prophecy apart from the show, start a new thread. That's all we ask.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
WOAH!!

From what I've seen so far the description of the "deity" that gave them their knowledge of astronomy was a:

Blonde haired, blue eyed, almost caucasian looking man, EXCEPT he had an extremely elongated skull.

The Mayan women even used brick like materials to mould their heads into the extremely elongated skull of the "Deity" in honour of him or "it". This process was started when the female was only a baby and their skull was soft and maleable.

Are we hearing the description of a Nordic from eye-witnesses?

I can't deny that it sounds so much like an extra-terrestrial. A long elongated skull is certainly not human.

More-so, the Mayans did not encounter "white man" in the form of the Spanish until a century later. A concept of "white man" without actually encountering white man is remarkably unique.

No debunking so far, this is a really good special - I'm even getting a little excited!!

There's certainly some very real mystery surrounding this civilisation, their knowledge of astronomy and their documentation of a "Deity" that is humanoid, but by description, not human.

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   

It's the archaeologists (the ones with academic degrees in archaeology... not the self-proclaimed ones) who do NOT think the world will end just because their calendar ends. Nor do they (usually) think Atlantis was a real place.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The show is really interesting, and it is reminding me alot of what Time Travellar John Titor said what was going to happen: the corrupting of goverment, the disdain of the people, people revolting against the people who ruled them leading to the bleek future that he supposedly came from.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I have got to say Bravo to the History Channel!! I am so impressed with the quality of their specials and the professionalism with which they are making their programs.

They are not making their programs with intellectual snobbery, but are just presenting information without bias. I am so impressed and I think I'm going to email them and tell them what a great job they're doing. From the UFO Files episodes to this particular program the History Channel is really raising the bar.

That said, I am a little freaked. I never knew that the Mayan Calender, which was written over 2000 years ago is actually more accurate than our own calender. Their knowledge of astronomical events is incredible and there are numerous mysteries surrounding their knowledge.

They ended the special well saying that Dec 21 2012 could just as much represent great change in the world as opposed to the end of the world. But there is much mention of "God" returning.

Are they trying to say that UFO disclosure is going to happen on that day? After all it would seriously change the world and would be the end of the world, in a way as we know it. Economics would change as well as ideologies and understanding of the universe.

Gosh, I feel quite affected by this special. Really well done, professional commentary, fascinating information and really gets you thinking.

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The most impressive thing i heard in the show was a guy was commenting on how the change thats to take place doesn't have to happen in one day it could be spread out over a few decades. This considering that the old era was supposed to end in 1987 and the new era was supposed to begin in 2012 well a lot of major changes have already happened in this period of time. Perhaps on 2012 we will start moving towards some real answers and real progress.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The show will re-air four hours after the first, for those who miss it.

Eastern: 1:00am
Central: 12:00am
Mountain: 11:00pm
Pacific: 1:00am

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pokey Oats
From what I've seen so far the description of the "deity" that gave them their knowledge of astronomy was a:

Blonde haired, blue eyed, almost caucasian looking man, EXCEPT he had an extremely elongated skull.

What was the name of that "deity"?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join