It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11/09/2006 | History Channel - Decoding The Past: Mayan Doomsday Prophecy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
i love the history channel and i think the mayan calender is correct, after all they have been here alot longer than you or i, so it is time we all take heed to our elders sometimes and use our ears instead of our mouths. in this case our mouth is the typeing. so listen up and use an ear. just because things don't happen to you does not mean it is a fake. like the myan calender. it is an opinion, so listen, it is not written in stone , besides, you might learn something about it.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by littlebird
so listen, it is not written in stone , besides, you might learn something about it.

Just adding to this for a little fun, but actually, the Mayan Calender is written in stone. There are Kutans chiselled into the walls of their buildings and the big 4 sided pyramid is actually a giant calender.

Pokey Oats
[edit: spelling mistake]

[edit on 10-11-2006 by Pokey Oats]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by amehrich
What was the name of that "deity"?

Wow, finally found it. Knew how to pronounce it from the special, just didn't know how to spell it!

KUKULCAN, the feathered serpent

Though worshipped as a benevolent deity of air and wind, symbolised by the quetzal, Kukulcán was also a hero-figure said to have arrived from foreign parts bearing the secrets of civilisation.

Kukulcán was otherwise known as Kukulkan, Gucumatz or, to the Aztecs, Quetzalcóatl.

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I watched it at 1am and was very impressed.

I dont think the end will happen on that particular day, I think it will happen over some time.

Very informative.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by trewth
the world will not end in 2012, the so called archeologist's that interpret the mayan calender's are the same people who think atlantis exist's, it's all hog wash

Yes, these people are crazy.

But the people who believe in the Mayan calendar and that Atlantis existed at one point in time are perfectly reasonable.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
hey pokey,
there is a great book out there called "The Mayan Prophecies"
(by Adrian Gilbert and Maurice Cotterell)
i read it and it is very dialed in with very detailed solar trends and astronomy and 'why' this date is being touted as so. seriously good book.
go get it and fulfill that knowledge that you seek. it's pure science.
-b

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Nice work Pokey Oats, thanks for the name.

During the show did they mention where KUKULCAN's physical descrition came from (ie text, paintings, legend)?

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by amehrich
Nice work Pokey Oats, thanks for the name.

During the show did they mention where KUKULCAN's physical description came from (ie text, paintings, legend)?

The description of him comes from images carved from stone and descriptions from the Codex. I cannot find anything that pertains to his arrival but there is information that mentions he "departed".

Here is some more information regarding physical description et all that may interest you.

The Maya were an enigma. Here was an ancient civilization that somehow came into possession of advanced knowledge in astronomy, physics, and mathematics yet never mastered the wheel.

It is said that the great teacher, Kukulcan was the calendar's inventor. Kukulcan is described in both Mayan myth and artifacts as being a large Caucasian, with long flowing white beard and hair and deep-blue eyes. Yet the first Caucasians did not set foot in the Yucatan for 500 years after Kukulcan's departure!

In almost every advanced ancient culture, there appears a similar great wise man matching Kukulcan's appearance. The Egyptians called him Osiris, the Inca Viracocha, the Aztecs Quetzalcoatl.

The Kukulcan pyramid in Chichen Itza is a perfect ziggurat of stone. Each of its 4 sides has 91 steps. With the platform at the top it equals 365 -as in days of the year.

For over 1,000 years, on each Autumn and Spring Equinox, the afternoon sun creates the shadow of a giant serpent on the pyramid's northern balustrade. As the sun sets, the body of the serpent appears to descend the steps to meet with its stone head. What does it mean? Is it a warning?

When Kukulcan abandoned the Maya, his people began barbaric human sacrifices, all in an effort to forestall the end of the world. Tens of thousands of men, women, and children joined a procession atop to Kukulcan pyramid-only to have their hearts cut out by priests! It is said human blood ran down the stone steps like a red river.

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I noticed the site takes the grim stance on the whole 2012 issue...

"On December 21st in the year 2012, the entire Human Race will DIE!"

Seems like a rather extreme stance, but I guess we'll find out.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
That's how I see it too. We'll find out when we get there.

But that said I'm really tempted to have a great big Mayan themed (everyone has to dress as Mayans) end of the world party on the 20th of December 2012.

Actually, that would make for an awesome ATS event where members all over the world could party in unison.

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
As we draw closer to that date I wonder if it will become more mainstream like Y2K was...

Step right up folks and get your 2012 survival kit including: candles, water, saltines, floatation device, and fire retardent asbestos suit. For a mere $49.99 you can ensure you'll be prepared for the worst event in 26,000 years.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
i don't think those people are reasonable
but we'll just have to agree to disagree i guess

[edit on 10-11-2006 by trewth]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by trewth
i don't think those people are reasonable
but we'll just have to agree to disagree i guess

It really was a very interesting TV show/documentary Trewth. I know that you said you don't believe in the Mayan Doomsday prophecy, thus I could conclude that you already have a strong unshakable opinion.

Based on the afore mentioned conclusion I am interested to know whether you watched the TV show and if not, why? A possible speculation on my behalf, it would depend on whether you're close minded or open minded.

And I don't mean this in regard to ever changing your opinion nor with any type of disrespect. Close minded would be a situation where you have made your conclusion and wish no other information on the subject matter. Open minded, in this regard, would be that you have already formulated an opinion but are still prepared to entertain those with other ideas and willing to listen to what they have to say.

I am further curious though, what is your take on this fact:
    "Kukulcan is described in both Mayan myth and artifacts as being a large Caucasian, with long flowing white beard and hair and deep-blue eyes. Yet the first Caucasians did not set foot in the Yucatan for 500 years after Kukulcan's departure!"
Not looking to change your mind or argue, just honestly interested in your opinion.

Pokey Oats

[edit: changed Special to TV Show/Documentary]

[edit on 10-11-2006 by Pokey Oats]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
pokey i don't give an opinion if i don't stand by it, as far as kuklakan goes if you know anything about ancient mexico which i do it wasn't the mayan who met with kuklakan it was the mejican's or better known as the aztec's, kuklakan was known as the feathered serpent or feathered snake, the spaniard's have manipulated mexican history for their own survival so they did everything they could to make the caucaisan people look superior and with hindsight 20/20 we all know how ignorant that was, so in my opinion kuklakan was a regular old viking pirate

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Honesty Trewth, I really value the opinion that you gave. You have definitely added some real perspective to what was stated on the TV show.

You make an excellent point about the possibility of Kukulcan being a Viking pirate.

But, for the sake of argument, weren't the vikings really about raping and pillaging and was their own society advanced enough that he would have something to offer in regard to the Mayans, particularly the astronomical achievements.

Hmmm, to answer my own question, an ancient mariner would certainly know a lot about the stars wouldn't he?

What about skull deformation so that the women could look like their hero civilisation starter. This desire to physically emulate is indeed intriguing.

I don't think you've categorically answered the mystery of the Mayans, but I do think you have given a plausible reason for a less alien, or mysterious Kukulcan.

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
pokey i didn't intend to answer the mystery of the mayan's because i don't believe there is a mystery, their simply people who were an advanced tribe at that time

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
they are awfully optimistic.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
For those that missed it dont worry. My WinMCE Recorder has recorded that show 4 times in the last 3 months. IT WILL BE ON AGAIN. It was discussed in another thread when it first aired and yep its a very good show IMO. Very informative of info i had no clue about. Catch an airing of it if you can.

On a side question, this is in Aliens and UFOs forum why? just wondering cuz i didnt see any aliens or ufo's in that show.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0

On a side question, this is in Aliens and UFOs forum why? just wondering cuz i didnt see any aliens or ufo's in that show.

Good point...I'll move it to Ancient Civilizations, where it will likely get more interest.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
trewtg, you wrote earlier that the world is what you make it. In a way I am going to disagree with you.

Years ago that was always said.... and it might have been so, but in this day and age with people waking up they are finding that we CAN NOT make the world what we want it many times.

The Mayans were an impressive people, but with only four books saved we can only do the best with the information in them. We need to count on the people translating them to translate them correctly and we know one person can take something to mean one thing while another person may take it to mean another.

Didn't it mention that the time would end with water. I would suggest since $49.95 is the going offer for a fun survival kit offered here (cough, cough) you all might want to purchase two, just in case.

Words are funny because many say the world will end on Dec. 21, 2012 I do not think the world is going to be destroyed, life of Earth might be destroyed/end however.

Let's just try to change the Earth we are on now and change from warring to helping. I have faith in the beings within our waters that they are doing what they need to do to save as much human life as they can.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join