It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the Democrats may do with their newly-won powers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Democrats took their victory and took control of the house again. This is defenetly a statement from the US citiziens towards the Bush administration and Republican party. But how good is this for the US and what will they do?

www.marketwatch.com
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The new political reality that Americans awakened to on Wednesday morning promises to have important pocketbook consequences.

By putting the Democrats back in power in the House, and by bringing them within a finger-snap of a majority in the Senate, the nation's voters were not so much criticizing local policies as they were exercising their anger and frustration over the state of the nation in global affairs.

In brief, they turned the midterm elections into a referendum on George W. Bush and his handling of the war in Iraq -- and the president lost.
Now Bush will have very limited power in the last two-plus years of his failed presidency to change economic policies and swing the ship of state more to the right. Yes, he will have some power, but it will depend largely on his ability to negotiate and compromise with a feisty Democratic majority in Congress.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What they will do in the first 100 hours:

- Raising the minimum wage
- make prescription drugs more affordable for older people
- tightening border and port security
- enabling the federal government to support stem cell research

Will they be able to succeed in this?

[edit on 8/11/2006 by rai76]

Edit: Title

[edit on 8-11-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
You left one out: raising taxes!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
WHO CARES ABOUT TAXES????

You're payingfor bogus wars, atrocities, but wont pay a little dough maybe on taxes?

I'll be happy to pay thru the nose. Its worth it to me and this globe we live in.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The troops are going to get the armor they need
All of our military equipment will be equipped with armor as well
Social Security will be left alone, allowing it to last for the next seven millenia
We will leave Iraq
Terrorism will end throughout the world
We will have Osama Bin Laden in the next week
Iran will abandon its nuclear program
North Korea will engage in talks yet again, give up its nuclear program, and adopt democracy
Chavez will embrace America as a bastion of freedom throughout the world
The UN will become effective
The Democrats will finally reveal their plan to make the world a utopia
The grass will be a little greener, the sky a little bluer, cripples will walk, the blind will see, and peace will reign through the land
Embrionic stem cell research will suddenly yield some kind of useful result (if you consider harvesting babies and killing them not useful)

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
JungleJake,

I had to laugh.

If, and i say IF we manage to get out of this mess with our lives, its going to take many many years to undo the monster that has been created.

Let us pray for the betterment of our country and the world.

One last thing? We're not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination yet.
Bush can and will chose to make things worse, while he is able to.

Be afraid, very afraid.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
WHO CARES ABOUT TAXES????

You're payingfor bogus wars, atrocities, but wont pay a little dough maybe on taxes?

I'll be happy to pay thru the nose. Its worth it to me and this globe we live in.

I'm not sure if your aware of this but the fact remains that Federal Tax revenues actually went up after the Bush tax cut. It remains clear that america is over taxed.
Resource

Part of me is happy to hear about the democrats win because the Bush Admin. has gone too far and we need to swing back to the middle and balance things out but the other part of me is afraid that the democrats will ruin the good things like tax cuts and not even bother with the bad things like the patriot act.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The terrorists and domestic Islamo-fascists (CAIR; Muslim Brotherhood etc)) are celebrating now that their allies have taken control. Now we can sit back and watch the various Islamo-alphabet groups slowly gain political power to fulfill their desire to turn the US into an Islamic nation. Of course; they may try but it will NEVER happen. The Dems will be voted out (hopefully) long before that ever happens.

My major concern is the Dems have no staying power and no plan on how to win the war on terrorism. I expect the patriot act to be phased out and Muslim terrorist cells to be phased in. Stand-by for the next major attack on US soil.......................................

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by undecided2
You left one out: raising taxes!

Eh,least of our worries. Seeing as how the feds actually take money out of our paychecks....illegally. Income tax is one of the major problems with our nation.This is one thing that dems/reps are equally guilty of.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Remember only one thing the so call War on terror that was only and for only one purpose and the whole agenda of the present administration was nothing more than a scam and the money lost is what is for us now an economic crisis.

The war on terror was created, manipulated and fought for the lands of Iraq and their resources.

Is about time that the truth comes out an our soldiers stop dying for not reason at all.

Abortion, gay marriage needs to stop been central stage and other more important issues like looking for alternative fuel, minimum wage and making the profiteers of the war on terror stop funneling millions to keep the terror going in Iraq end.

Is more important things than going after the middle east oil.

We need to focus on alternatives that will be beneficial for us and help our budgets.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Remember only one thing the so call War on terror that was only and for only one purpose and the whole agenda of the present administration was nothing more than a scam and the money lost is what is for us now an economic crisis.

The economy is doing great!!! What are you talking about?

The war on terror was created, manipulated and fought for the lands of Iraq and their resources.

And what Iraqi resources, exactly, are you benefitting from?

Is about time that the truth comes out an our soldiers stop dying for not reason at all.

As a member of the military I can tell you your banter is counter-productive and doesn't represent the opinions of the military in general. So please stop foisting your political leanings by feigning concern for our soldiers. Most realize there's a job that needs to be done and they ALL volunteered to be there.

Abortion, gay marriage needs to stop been central stage and other more important issues like...

I see; you want to remove the freedoms of some people for engaging in acts that otherwise have to adverse effect on your rights. What do gays do, exactly, that take away your rights and feedoms? When a woman decides to have have an abortion; how does that affect your freedoms?

... making the profiteers of the war on terror stop funneling millions to keep the terror going in Iraq end.

And what's your solution to do this? Who are the "profiteers"?

Is more important things than going after the middle east oil.

Well; middle east oil is pretty important. I do agree that we need to look for alternate energy sources but finding one that replaces oil is decades off in the future. In the mean time, Arabs have a discomforting amount of power through embargo. None the less, the war on terrorism will be going on for many years to come. If we tuck our tails and run now that will only embolden "terrorists" and cause them to make more attacks. I don't believe Democrats have the will or ability to defende against terrorist attacks.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
lol, Mr. Bush is a stuttering dumbass.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Freedom_for_sum

Well how sad when people still can not get the message and stop the blindness that is obfuscating our nation an keeping us the people divided.

Iraq is a SCAM and WAR ON TERROR is a scam, get it.

I guess not.

And stop insulting me with your military standing, because guess what I come from a military family hat has gave plenty of hero's that has die for this nation.

So don't get me started there, Mr.

And BTW my husband is proud retired Marine with an impeccable service that still serve this nation in his civilian job.

How dare some bring the issue of service to try to win their sorry debates.

Shame on you

We are all Americans, get it all Americans that only wants the well being of our nation.

One side is not better than the other get it, We all have plenty os stakes in our nation.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_for_sum
The terrorists and domestic Islamo-fascists (CAIR; Muslim Brotherhood etc)) are celebrating now that their allies have taken control. Now we can sit back and watch the various Islamo-alphabet groups slowly gain political power to fulfill their desire to turn the US into an Islamic nation. Of course; they may try but it will NEVER happen. The Dems will be voted out (hopefully) long before that ever happens.

My major concern is the Dems have no staying power and no plan on how to win the war on terrorism. I expect the patriot act to be phased out and Muslim terrorist cells to be phased in. Stand-by for the next major attack on US soil.......................................

Yea,yea,yea,....The terrorist are going to start dropping outta the sky the illegals are going to run into your office and demend your job and the taxes are goiong to go sky high? Come on....There is NO PLAN to win Iraq as it is. I could careless the Dems are co-piloting the country now cause maybe now all of the people who have their collective head up their tailside will see that BOTH of these parties ARE THE SAME...The system is set so the SAME TWO parties never loose power. I would think after years of the same two dinners you have been eating one would like some change? Maybe now this will make you sit down and think about other options and political platforms. So don't spread doom and gloom Rushisms...cause feel assured that the Republicans didn't loose anything. They simpley just changed their colors to comeleonize for you peole who voted for them. You should be mad cause we have not made political progress at all by having the SAME two parties in power.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
You have voted marg6043 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Beautifully put, Marg. I agree with you 100%

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Let's see, what might happen now?

* The draft may be re-instated
* Amnesty will be the border policy
* The Second Amendment will be attacked
* Tax cuts will be repealed
* Taxes will rise

[edit on 8-11-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
That's a chance we'll have to take, wont it??

Bush brought this all on by himself, not ever heeding warnings and suggestions from his own cabinet. The cowboy failed.

If its necessary to have a draft over a real war, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to go defend our country, providing its not Bush stirring another hornets nest again.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This adds some links to the above post. It's more than taking a chance - it's the stated goals of the Democrats.

* The draft may be re-instated
www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2003/01/03/MN169142.DTL

* Amnesty will be the border policy
www.washingtonpost.com...

* The Second Amendment will be attacked
www.ontheissues.org...

* Tax cuts will be repealed
www.justhillary.com...

* Taxes will rise
www.majoritywhip.gov...

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well Js you are very aware of how our government system works.

The draft will no be re-instated no with so many conservative in congress that happen to be democrats that the reason they won the elections was because their appeal to conservative and moderates in our nation.

The Amnesty is not priority after all that was Bush plan all alone, But many of the border state took matters in their own hands and they already voice their choices.

Congress will listen.

The second Amendment wills stay as it is, after all people will never give up their arms.

The tax cuts is something that will still benefit the low income and low end middle class but the tax cuts on rich oil companies and corporations will be review.

I am all for it.

You know that with the state of affairs in our country when it comes to the outrageous deficit and economical crisis will become an issue that is inevitable, somebody has to fix the mess Bush made.

Does it bother me? Well it doesn’t because my husband already pay in taxes more than what many make in a month working at Wal-Mart, so we pay our fair part of taxes and we will be paying them as long as my husband keep making what he makes in month with his salary.

Now at least minimum wages will become an issue, even if it will not benefit me or my husband because he earn a salary it will help the less fortunate people out there trying to have their ends meet a payday so they can put food in the table.

And after all Bush still have power to vito and he can use it as it seems fit.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Well Js you are very aware of how our government system works.

The draft will no be re-instated no with so many conservative in congress that happen to be democrats that the reason they won the elections was because their appeal to conservative and moderates in our nation.

Well marg, this was proposed by two current members of the Congress, Rangel and Conyers.

The Amnesty is not priority after all that was Bush plan all alone, But many of the border state took matters in their own hands and they already voice their choices.

Congress will listen.

It's nice to see that you are so optimistic that Congress will listen, but past experience proves otherwise. This idea was proposed by Kennedy-McCain, and endorsed by many Democrats.

The second Amendment wills stay as it is, after all people will never give up their arms.

Just look at Pelosi's and Conyer's stand on gun control. They will attack it every chance they get.

Pelosi, Reid, and the others will not interpret the elections as an endorsement of conservatism. Rather, they will take it to mean that the people want their extreme leftist policies to become law.

And since they will be the congressional leaders, they will be able to push their ideas into law. Not whatever a bunch of freshman roookies happen to want.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Js we were screw by the Republicans and we will be also by the Democrats, see that is the way our political system works.

Is only two parties in power and one compliments the other one.

But I will keep my hopes up as usual.

And hope that we the people still can voice our choices that is why we elect the congress and the president.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join