It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seafood population gone by 2048!?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
A recent study found that at the present rate of pollution and overfishing the effective seafood population will be gone by 2048.

"We really see the end of the line now," said lead author Boris Worm, a marine biologist at Canada's Dalhousie University. "It's within our lifetime. Our children will see a world without seafood if we don't change things."

www.washingtonpost.com... /02/AR2006110200913.html

Some scientists are claiming that the study is too pessimistic.

Does that even matter?

The point is that humans are destroying the enviroment at an extremely rapid rate.

We need to move away from practices that are so damaging to the ecosystem. By destroying biodiversity, we are just feeding into a perpetual cycle.

A lot of people enjoy seafood, but it might be time for a change.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
THe really bad thing about this is that human beings need Omega 3 in order for our brains to develop and work right. The only sizeble source is seafood. It does come in hemp seeds but those are illegal in the U.S. and you'd have to eat alot of them for them to be beneficial. What happens when we no longer have a source for Omega 3? Will our children/grandchildren become less intelligent?

THis is really frightening, an entire ecosystem is being destroyed.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Lets see....

no fish in the sea, no life at all..... then we are really and utterly doomed.

If the seas are dead of fish and marine life bar jelly fish and small plankton / algea, we will see a toxic sea within our life times...(well, just after our life times...)

This planet is suffering so badly with us destroying every thing in our paths, its a wonder we are even around still, yet alone looking forward to the future.

We need action, and we need to stop taking stuff we don't need from the seas. Either that or get used to eating jelly fish!

Global warming, species extinction, we are in real trouble and we soon may reach a point of no return (i hope not!)

Makes you wonder doesn't it? are we, as agent smith said, really a disease, a virus destroying the world?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
if it's any consolation, mother nature paid me back for my 30 or so years of fishing. my boat got wrecked last weekend in a storm and in the process of bashing my boat around I also incurred about 25 grand worth of damage to my neighbor's dock. oddly enough, mine was left unharmed.

no more fishing for me until the spring at the earliest.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
YAAAAYYY !!! No more "fish stick fridays" !!!

Edn

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm a bit distressed(i think is the right word) that you refer to the animals of the sea simply as seafood, reminds me of the people going to the shops to buy some chicken but they wouldn't believe you if you told them that the piece of meat was once alive.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Algae, and other green things that live in the water contribute an overwhelming majority of all oxygen production on this planet.

The seas are really important. But we are not treating them as such.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
I'm a bit distressed(i think is the right word) that you refer to the animals of the sea simply as seafood, reminds me of the people going to the shops to buy some chicken but they wouldn't believe you if you told them that the piece of meat was once alive.

Only someone so fortunate as to know where their next meal is coming from could think this way.

I do believe that the main fear in losing life in the oceans IS that so many humans, especially in poor countries, depend on the seafood. The poorest of the poor, those in Africa and Asia are most at risk.

I know that some among us believe animals to be emotional equals to humans but thats hogwash. I'm more concerned with whether my grandkids will die of starvation or the end of humanity than I am the trauma incurred by sea bass. Sorry, I can't help considering my own species slighty ahead of that of shrimp or even ............. dolphins......... yikes, I said it! Don't call PETA on me.

I may be a little overboard but honestly save the outrage over the animals untill there are no more starving children. Conservation is extremely important for that very reason but we can't lose sight of who and what has the the most value.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Oh Boy I'm the GM of a Sea food rest... I'm screwed double

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiantPanda1979

dude, red lobster doesn't serve real seafood. you, of all people, should know this.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

Originally posted by GiantPanda1979

dude, red lobster doesn't serve real seafood. you, of all people, should know this.

what do you mean?

Please explain what you are saying.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

............. dolphins.........

While I understand your sentiment, I'd like to point out that Dolphins
are not only emotionally equal (and probably superior) to us, they,
like us are sentient, that is they are self-aware and have a concept
of self.

Edn

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by looking4truth

Originally posted by Edn

Only someone so fortunate as to know where their next meal is coming from could think this way.

I do believe that the main fear in losing life in the oceans IS that so many humans, especially in poor countries, depend on the seafood. The poorest of the poor, those in Africa and Asia are most at risk.

I know that some among us believe animals to be emotional equals to humans but thats hogwash. I'm more concerned with whether my grandkids will die of starvation or the end of humanity than I am the trauma incurred by sea bass. Sorry, I can't help considering my own species slighty ahead of that of shrimp or even ............. dolphins......... yikes, I said it! Don't call PETA on me.

I may be a little overboard but honestly save the outrage over the animals untill there are no more starving children. Conservation is extremely important for that very reason but we can't lose sight of who and what has the the most value.

I'm not sure what you mean. But ill try to reply with what i think your questioning.

I do consider all species of animal, bug, insect and even plant as equal we are after all animals just like the rest of the animals out there.

The reason there is becoming a shortage of food on this planet in the first place is because we have no respect for other animals, its because we see our selfs as some how higher even god like in some cases that we give no consideration to the population of other species and kill and eat them until theres virtually nothing left.

You say "I'm more concerned with whether my grandkids will die of starvation or the end of humanity than I am the trauma incurred by sea bass." But its the trauma we put on sea bass(your example not mine
) that is causing the decline of the number of creatures in the sea and there fore causing the food shortage that humans and other animals may suffer from in the future and there for cause your grandchildren to starve.

You see where im going with this? everything we do has an effect on everything else.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Everytime I goto a supermarket & see the huge array of dead animals most of which get thrown out as waste every night, i feel nauseous & disgusted. It is a holocaust right under our noses.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by Shar_Chi]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Do you know what this means? Whales eat a lot of fish. When the fish is gone, the whales will die off anyway. If we start weeding out some of those whales now, the fish will last longer. And the remaining whales will last longer as well. Of course, it would be good if we stopped polluting the ocean as well. And overfishing...

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
Everytime I goto a supermarket & see the huge array of dead animals most of which get thrown out as waste every night, i feel nauseous & disgusted. It is a holocaust right under our noses.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by Shar_Chi]

This is the type of rhetoric that hurts the cause of conservation. Comparing what goes on in the retail food industry to the deaths of millions of HUMAN BEINGS at the hands of the Nazis is just wrong. Two totally different things. Period.

The use of logic and reason, and a level-headed appeal to peoples compassions is the wise approach. When you use those type of comparisons the average person stops listening. Now, if you can reason with them and allow them to see that the impacts could have severe consequences for their families in the not so distant future you will get much further with them.

I agree that all life on earth is important, and valuable, and worth preservation. We can be better as a species at reducing our footprint and preserving our ecology. My point is that by being compassionate and, most importantly, intellegent about the way we go foward we can achieve much more.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It it is making a lot of money, I do not see the WTO or any alliance of nations stepping in to do anything about it. They are too frightened that a large loss in profit for any major global corporation will cause them to lose all of their power.

They will nod their heads, yell and demand with the best of them that something must be done, while behind the scenes they move heaven and earth to keep the status quo as it is.

Soon I suppose it will be a status symbol for every nation that can to have a super large aquarium.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

This is the type of rhetoric that hurts the cause of conservation. Comparing what goes on in the retail food industry to the deaths of millions of HUMAN BEINGS at the hands of the Nazis is just wrong. Two totally different things. Period.

The use of logic and reason, and a level-headed appeal to peoples compassions is the wise approach. When you use those type of comparisons the average person stops listening. Now, if you can reason with them and allow them to see that the impacts could have severe consequences for their families in the not so distant future you will get much further with them.

I agree that all life on earth is important, and valuable, and worth preservation. We can be better as a species at reducing our footprint and preserving our ecology. My point is that by being compassionate and, most importantly, intellegent about the way we go foward we can achieve much more.

hol‧o‧caust  /ˈhɒləˌkɔst, ˈhoʊlə-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hol-uh-kawst, hoh-luh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a great or complete devastation or destruction, esp. by fire.
2. a sacrifice completely consumed by fire; burnt offering.
3. (usually initial capital letter) the systematic mass slaughter of European Jews in Nazi concentration camps during World War II (usually prec. by the).
4. any mass slaughter or reckless destruction of life.
Whitewash it however you want, but it's a holocaust. I gave up on reasoning with morons some time ago.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   

hol‧o‧caust  /ˈhɒləˌkɔst, ˈhoʊlə-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hol-uh-kawst, hoh-luh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a great or complete devastation or destruction, esp. by fire.
2. a sacrifice completely consumed by fire; burnt offering.
3. (usually initial capital letter) the systematic mass slaughter of European Jews in Nazi concentration camps during World War II (usually prec. by the).
4. any mass slaughter or reckless destruction of life.
Whitewash it however you want, but it's a holocaust. I gave up on reasoning with morons some time ago.

Gave up reasoning with morons?

Sorry I'm a moron. I was just challenging your thoughts. To just simply quote Websters dictionary and write someone off as a moron is juvinile at best my friend.

In fact you just reinforced my point. The point that some among us have so much disdain for their own species that they make ludicris claims about other species around them.

I'll give it to you that the waste in the way get our food is horrible. I don't like it at all. But how do you expect to change it with these emotionally over-charged statements? You have to realize that by attacking people you can't win them over. That's what I was saying.

But I'm a moron I guess. Sigh

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Isn't this the site whose motto is "Deny Ignorance?"

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

"It's just mind-boggling stupid," said Ray Hilborn, a University of Washington professor of aquatic and fishery sciences.

Why do most of you follow blindly what some cash-strapped scientist, looking for a grant, says? Do you do this only when it fits your agenda? If Bush said something this ridiculous, most would be scrambling to the nearest left-leaning website trying to refute it.

Come on people! Don't fall for "doomsday" predictions from scientists looking for grant money! Deny Ignorance!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join