It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seafood population gone by 2048!?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
How can the vast oceans be depleted of seafood when sea life is constantly replenishing itself?

I find this so difficult to believe.

If this is true, why are we allowing China and Japan to fish offshore of the United States?

Why is seafood so expensive in the United States , especially in Florida?

I love seafood but I can only afford to buy it occasionally.

I guess I'll have to stop buying it completely

God put fish and animals on this Earth for food.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
How can the vast oceans be depleted of seafood when sea life is constantly replenishing itself?

I find this so difficult to believe.

If this is true, why are we allowing China and Japan to fish offshore of the United States?

Why is seafood so expensive in the United States , especially in Florida?

I love seafood but I can only afford to buy it occasionally.

I guess I'll have to stop buying it completely

God put fish and animals on this Earth for food.

How can species replenish themselves if they are constantly being destroyed?

The rate at which we are killing is greater than the rate at which fish are reproducing.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I find it very difficult to believe that sea life is being killed off faster than they are replenishing themselves.

Do you have some facts to base this on?

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
i will miss my fish-sticks and flounder and swordfish...

on a serious note, this will surely mess up the entire ecosystem...

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
I find it very difficult to believe that sea life is being killed off faster than they are replenishing themselves.

It's not all of it being killed by us, you see we are overfishing
alot of species, and that causes less food for the other species,
which has a domino effect, slowly starving the entire aquatic
ecosystem.

The problem is this, I'll use Salmon as my example.
Salmon only reproduce once a year, and only produce a finite
amount of eggs, which become fish, now what we are doing is
using more of the species than can be replaced by reproduction,
that is say a Salmon produces 100 offspring, we're using 60 of
those from each generation, hence we slowly kill the species off.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Omega1 ... I run a seafood joint. I see alot of seafood go thru there.. Alot of it is farm rasied though

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by looking4truth

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
Whitewash it however you want, but it's a holocaust. I gave up on reasoning with morons some time ago.

you just reinforced my point. The point that some among us have so much disdain for their own species that they make ludicris claims about other species around them.
I'll give it to you that the waste in the way get our food is horrible. I don't like it at all. But how do you expect to change it with these emotionally over-charged statements? You have to realize that by attacking people you can't win them over. That's what I was saying.But I'm a moron I guess. Sigh

Actually i was referring to the fruitless struggle of trying to 'change' the mindless masses over to being more positive with their lives. It's worse than arguing with wood, every moron has a stupid groupthink comeback copied from fox news or somewhere. Very few people in our culture give a **** about what actual suffering or consequence go into their diet, all they care about is what tastes good. And look at what we are - a nation of selfish lardass consumers treated like **** by our own governments. Go on slaughtering fish, cows, pigs, sheep etc, if food runs out we can eat each other.

[edit on 4-11-2006 by Shar_Chi]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
OH NO!!

What no fish??
can't just have chips...

What am I going to use my stock of salt-n-vinegar on now!!!

Nox

[edit on 4-11-2006 by TheNockerNox]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   
50 oil tanker fulls of Iron into the seas. That will stimulate plankton growth eliminating global warming, then with the huge amounts of Plankton in the water other animals will rise in numbers!

Problem solved!

Ok seriosly, this is terrible, I think we need to farm more fish like salmon!

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The oceans' dead zones are on the rise and it will affect all life, not just the fish.

Report: Ocean 'Dead Zone' Figures Rising TechNewsWorld

"We continue to use the ocean as a garbage can, a universal sewer. Our infrastructure has been wrong since day one, and it's a huge headache. Anyone that's aware of it and wants to correct it, that's very, very difficult. From an economical point of view, it's a total nightmare." Jean-Michel Cousteau

The Gulf of Mexico hypoxia watch NOAA

Creeping Dead Zones NASA

In this current bizarro world of corporate profits continuelly trumping ecological stewardship,
most of humanity is more than likely to be destroyed by 2048 also.

[edit on 4-11-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
All is not lost.
Conservation areas seem to be working quite well.

Some countries have overfished off their shores, but it's not happening everywhere.

I'm worried about some areas of the world — like Africa — but other areas of the world have figured out how to do effective fishery management."

Read the complete article here

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
We know more about the surface of the moon than the bottom of the sea. Having seen Blue Planet I can testify that the most amazing creatures imaginable live deep in the abyss, and watching that programme we are told how each dive will provide scientists with many new species never seen before. Imagine these incredible creatures being destroyed before we've even seen them!

We would not only lose 'some fish', but the birds that depend on fish as they circumnavigate the globe each year on migration. Which would mean some animals that depend on these birds for food would also suffer. The ecosystem isn't something that can handle having large groups of species removed; their removal means other species come under more strain, causing a knock on effect until equilibrium is restored... what I believe is that a drastic reduction in sealife levels would also spark a massive loss of life on land.

We saw the 'Whale of the Thames' and there have been an increasing number of sightings of large sharks of the shore of England; couldn't this be a sign that larger fish are already searching further afield for food due to overfishing.

When the effects of global warking were first highlighted there were skeptics, how many are there now?

I read an article in The Independent saying we are consuming more than the earth can replenish at a faster rate each year. I'm sure you read it to, saying this year we started consuming more than the earth can replenish as of mid october and next year the date of over consumption is expected to be earlier in the year.

As we continue to eat into the earths resources we will highlight different effects caused by our actions. These will often be unforseen due to the complexity of the environment. The point I'm trying to make is that action needs to be taken as soon as these problems are presented; our only concerns should be if we are past 'tipping point' or if our actions will be effective in stemming further destruction occuring. Some problems, such as the destruction of sealife, have greater implications for future generations, therefore they demand much greater attention and more immediate action.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Get i those lobster buffets while you can.....The Rio in Las Vegas has a decent deal going.....

Where there is a will...there is a way

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This doesnt surprise me that we are destroying ocean life. I run a seafood joint and Its not very high volume but we still go thru almost 100 pounds of Shrimp a day. Thats just Shrimp. We also go thru at least 40 pounds of Oysters, 100 pounds of cod, 80 pounds of grouper, 80 pounds of flounder and so on... We use alot of farm raised sea critters but thats just 1 small seafood rest, how many are across Florida alone? You do the math....not good

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
THe really bad thing about this is that human beings need Omega 3 in order for our brains to develop and work right. The only sizeble source is seafood. It does come in hemp seeds but those are illegal in the U.S. and you'd have to eat alot of them for them to be beneficial. What happens when we no longer have a source for Omega 3? Will our children/grandchildren become less intelligent?

THis is really frightening, an entire ecosystem is being destroyed.

I would think that there are supplements in other foods that provide the nutrients we need... A lot of people are allergic to sea food and don't eat it at all during their life time... I'm sure they would know which foods to eat... Also it's been said that we are in a mass extinction, over 150 dead zones in the oceans and growing by the day... Either we are doing this or the planet is getting ready for a big shift of some sorts... All I know is something is terribly wrong... It seems like we have so many "things" against us right? I don't think we need to worry too much about whether our children will be smarter or less smart, but maybe we should be more worried about whether they can even survive... I would think survival would be important... More so than whether you lose a couple IQ points...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
All is not lost.
Conservation areas seem to be working quite well.

Some countries have overfished off their shores, but it's not happening everywhere.

I'm worried about some areas of the world — like Africa — but other areas of the world have figured out how to do effective fishery management."

Read the complete article here

We should not have to depend on farms or genetics for food... Nature is here to provide us with everything we need... Maybe this ties the noose a little tighter around our knecks... Maybe this is being forced on us? I heard somewhere that the NWO wants to poison all foods so we have to eat the genetically altered foods... Which would make sense because they could track and label, control and make money off everything that way... Every blade of grass, every piece of fruit and every steak you bbq... They can't do that now with nature "getting" in the way... I mean I guess if was corrupt and greedy I'd be pissed off at nature too... How dare she provide us with free food!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I know that some among us believe animals to be emotional equals to humans but thats hogwash. I'm more concerned with whether my grandkids will die of starvation or the end of humanity than I am the trauma incurred by sea bass. Sorry, I can't help considering my own species slighty ahead of that of shrimp or even ............. dolphins......... yikes, I said it! Don't call PETA on me.

And that attitude is what will do us in.

Fish are not "dumb animals". They can feel pain, they can cognate, they form complex societies and hierarchies. They are advanced and complex animals, like us. It's a shame they don't scream and yelp when they are being trawled, dynamited, etc., cause if they did maybe people would regard them as high as they deserve to be and have a shred of sympathy.

Your similar low regard of dolphins is simply ridiculous. They are sentient and probably mentally superior to the average human. They even use tools (i.e. wearing sheaths made of sponge over their snouts). The only reason they haven't developed technologically is because they don't have hands.

What is your distinction here? We are not more intelligent... we don't seem to be superior on an evolutionary level in any way, yet you are still quick to bring up the old line, "we are human so we are better" without coming up with an irrefutable reason as to why. If anything, we should be treated as inferior for all the destruction we cause; but I tend to prefer a similarly high respect for all life.

I tend to disagree with the doomsday prophecies, though it is clear the larger species of aquatic vertebrates are generally at risk, such as tuna and cod. However, this may not necessarily put the largest life, the baleen whales, at risk because they can subsist on krill, which should proliferate in the absence of "middle level" predators such as pelagic perciform fish. The coral reefs should still thrive as well, though I could be wrong as I am uneducated on major connections between pelagic and closer-to-shore life.

I say... we scoop some funds out of anti-AGW and put it towards sustainable fishing methods and conservation.

However... it could be that people subconsciously don't care about dolphins 'cause we are jealous?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The Chinese are mainly to blame, and it's going to get worse and the predicted date approaches. As more and more Chinese become wealthy there will be an increase in the demand for Shark Fin Soup, which means more shark will have there fins sliced off and the carcass tossed overboard, defenseless, as it sinks to the bottom of the ocean.
This will have a domino effect.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlyCM (work)

Your similar low regard of dolphins is simply ridiculous. They are sentient and probably mentally superior to the average human. They even use tools (i.e. wearing sheaths made of sponge over their snouts). The only reason they haven't developed technologically is because they don't have hands.

I've heard that male dolphins sometimes kills dolphin children, so they can have sex. That's not cool. They also kill for fun. Nasty dophins...

Murder Most Fish

Certain bottlenose dolphins often kill harbor porpoises, their smaller cousins, seemingly for fun.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
We wont see food in 2048? What about crawfish? Those live in lakes. I went to a summer camp once and they were pretty easy to capture at night. So, at least, crawfish will be around.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join