It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slits on the B2!!??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Anybody ever notice the slits that are forward of the cockpit on the B2? There are two of them, one in front of each crew member, in the nose, and face back towards the crew?? You never can really get a good view in any photos and I am curious what anybody may think they are?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
On second thought, the slits may not face backwards! They are obscure but very curious looking! The aircraft is closely guarded so one can never really get a good look at any part of it in too much detail!
I know there are some B2 fans out there and even ground crew members that may be able to shed some light in this???

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Do you mean the two dark rectangles infront of the cockpit that run parallel to the leading edge seen in this high-res image?

I dont have any idea what they could be but Im sure someone on here knows.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Just a thought on this, could they be the holes for the pressure sensors for the altitude? I know there are holes for them on civil airliners, so perhaps they are on B2s as well? I did however think they were smaller.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
the high resolution photo is very cool by the way! There are two slits right in front of each crew member, (maybe pressure sensors?) Don't really know which slits you mean by, "along the leading edge". I would assume they are usable for the pilot/co-pilot in some regard, but since there is so much talk of electro-grav propulsion and such, I just thought somebody may be able to clarify further.
I suppose the best view would be from standing nearly on top of the cockpit and looking towards the nose, but since any of us that try that would be quickly executed.........maybe somebody "In the Know" would know????

Maybe executed would be a severe term but you know what I mean!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Can the slits you are talking about be seen in the photo or not?

BTW the B-2 doesn't have any form of electro-gravitational propulsion! Its a complete myth with no technical or scientific backing or any evidence to back it up.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Gfad,I agree, no data to support the electro-grav system, I just meant to pique some B2 enthusiasts that may want to throw in their two cents. And yes, the slits are barely visible right in front of the cockpit! They are just always rather obscured in any photos is all. As far as the leading edge, do you mean all the way to the nose?? Great great photo, from a tanker I must assume?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Oh Gfad, by the way, I tried to send you a u2u but got denied until 20 posts I guess! I have another thread that I am trying to ask a question about the Raptor and its thrust vectoring system! I see your avatar is the YF 23, but maybe you could shed some light on this for me? The thread is entitled, "F 22 Help". thanks

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I have not seen the slits you are referring to but an educated guess would be either part of the aircrafts Pitot/Static system or a cockpit windscreen rain dispersal system ( could be engine bleed air with the addition of an anti-iceing fluid )

The postion of the slits would be ideal for either system but a good close up view would help in Id'ing the system a lot easier!

Sv.... out!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Great though SV. An anti-icing system seems logical, and if I ever get a close up, ATS will be the first to know! Thanks for the thoughts!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
Just a thought on this, could they be the holes for the pressure sensors for the altitude? I know there are holes for them on civil airliners, so perhaps they are on B2s as well? I did however think they were smaller.

You're talking about the Pitot Static System, all planes have it. However I don't know what the B-2 uses for Ram air.

I have no idea what those things are.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
sounds like most people are right there with you on that Shattered Skies! Ram air I am not really aware of either on the B2? If we keep this up, we are bound to get some inquiries about the B2's systems and what those slits really are for if not the pitot/static systems.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
upload.wikimedia.org...

Is it the radar antenna?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
don't think so, lterally right in front of the cockpit glass, sort of curving from center to both right and left in an upward arc. Like a reverse eyelid. Great pic though, love it and thanks!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   
As far as the picture goes, I wouldn't think it would be anti/ice or pitot static. Can't see any holes at all for those systems. Pitot static you need a forward facing hole to actually get air pressure for airspeed indication. Normally planes use NESA windows to alleviate icing conditions along with air conditioning. I'm gonna go with MrDread on this. Looks like some sort of antenna. Maybe electronic warfare detection or some sort of guidance system. Oh and I'm assuming the B-2 uses engine bleed air for pressurization, air conditioning, and anti/ice like most fighter type planes.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I think they're landing lights? They look like the to me, and the eyelid like buldge could be to make the Landing lights face forward not up?

[edit on 3-11-2006 by PisTonZOR]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
probably just housing for some standard aviation equipment. i wouldnt be too curious about it.

and how i love that plane. so sleek. and black. and sexy.

/faints

[edit on 3-11-2006 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Could be something as simple as cooling for the electronics guys.

Or a de-icer for the windows, any ice build up may affect RCS.

[edit on 3-11-2006 by kilcoo316]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Here's a closeup. Can you indicate what exactly you are referring to?

Courtesy:SPG Media Limited, SPG Media Group PLC

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   
mike singh, in your close up, they are unfortunately not visible, however if you scroll through the other posts you can make them out!
In regards to your photo, very nice by the way, follow this lead:
1. From the nose, going towards the cockpit, you will see three sets of what look like three separate panels of diferent color housing three white circles each..follow me so far?
2. Closer still to the actual cockpit canopy itself, there are two slits, one in front of each crew member, arcing in a convex pattern (from the nose that is), a half moon style of slit?
3. The fact that they are bizarre to detect is the main reason for my query??

Good luck, and it seems that there are now a few more interested, it's almost as if most photos are edited to eliminate this feature!!??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join