It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans Not as Lost as Predicted

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Democrats appearing almost jubilant in expectation of taking control of both the House and the Senate may have been premature in their celebration.

users2.barrons.com
JUBILANT DEMOCRATS SHOULD RECONSIDER their order for confetti and noisemakers. The Democrats, as widely reported, are expecting GOP-weary voters to flock to the polls in two weeks and hand them control of the House for the first time in 12 years -- and perhaps the Senate, as well. Even some Republicans privately confess that they are anticipating the election-day equivalent of Little Big Horn. Pardon our hubris, but we just don't see it.

Our analysis -- based on a race-by-race examination of campaign-finance data -- suggests that the GOP will hang on to both chambers, at least nominally.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Democrats failure to devote any time to the issues, choosing instead to concentrate on either, Republican failures or Scandals may come to haunt them in November.

The Republicans are staying the course in discussing issues relevant to the American Voter and are steadily gaining ground in the polls. November may be a different kind of surprise.

Related News Links:
www.drudgereport.com
www.townhall.com

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   

The Democrats failure to devote any time to the issues, choosing instead to concentrate on either, Republican failures or Scandals may come to haunt them in November.

And God knows that there have been a multitude of those over the past several years. More then we should have in a lifetime all totalled. Who's fault is it that people had all the scandal and failures to concentrate on in the first place? Is it the democrats? The blame should be firmly placed on the people who are causing these things to occur. Is it the fault of the voters that these people are doing illegal and scandalous things? I think not.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
And Pie,

That is exactly the thing we need the Liberals to keep concentrating on..

Way to go!!!

Semper

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
So they are basing this conclusion on “campaign-finance data”? Can someone please explain what that means?

Does it mean they have enough campaign contributions to pay off Diebold and buy the elections? Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Maybe these guys should have a look at some recent polls like the ones in this thread.

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Personally, I think we need to shake things up in Washington regardless of which party has the majority. Each party is blaming the other for all the problems we have in this country, but the real problem is that corporations have both parties in their pockets and the people are no longer represented.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
So they are basing this conclusion on “campaign-finance data”? Can someone please explain what that means?

Well Barrons is a pay site owned by DowJones,( I did a who's who) Drudge sold out long ago and Town hall is a right wing web-site, this smells of propaganda.
I will add that I would like to see the Dems take the vote even though there just as bad. There all crooks as far as I'm concerned.

[edit on 21/10/2006 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I would say it is more than just propaganda. Many Republicans had decided to stay away from the polls to "teach them a lesson". But many are now reconsidering, and looking forward to what could really happen if the Democrats regained power in the House and the Senate. So, they are now choosing to hold their noses and vote anyway.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

And God knows that there have been a multitude of those over the past several years. More then we should have in a lifetime all totalled. Who's fault is it that people had all the scandal and failures to concentrate on in the first place? Is it the democrats? The blame should be firmly placed on the people who are causing these things to occur. Is it the fault of the voters that these people are doing illegal and scandalous things? I think not.

No, its not their fault....but we dont know where they stand either....what do they propose to do about issues that concern americans? will they attempt a universal healthcare system? will they attempt to make it easier to make a living in america? what is their stance on Iraq and afghanistan? how will they treat the new threats coming from NK?

I know where the republicans stand...I just dont know where the democrats stand and to be honest... If I REALLY knew...it would help my decision...

The problem with democrats is they are afraid to take a stand on an issue...they always debate and come up with compromises, which isnt a bad thing but damn it! you have to stand for something!

Speak up!

Personally if they will do the following things they will have my vote come november 7th:

raise the minimum wage...

forget these stupid "same sex marriage laws" and allow Americans to live in what ever lifestyle they choose.

propose and enact a Universal healthcare system...

set clear and attainable objectives in Iraq and Afghanistan....

be strong on defense but uphold the constitution....

repeal the patriot act...

hell the list goes on forever,

[edit on 22-10-2006 by XphilesPhan]

[edit on 22-10-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
XP,

I have your back on ..... uhhhhh.. well...

2 of those ideas...

Semper

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Is it the fault of the voters that these people are doing illegal and scandalous things? I think not.

I think the voters need to stop blaming republicans and democrats and start blaming themselves. It's a democracy is it not? We should be able to simply vote these dudes out.

There are tons of advanced ideas out there that could take our society in totally different directions. There's no will though because as long as Americans have jobs and a happy little family no one sees a reason to change. It's what you call being in your comfort zone.

Come election time I fully expect republicans to do better than originally anticipated. Why? Because Americans are a bunch of sissies that's why! THey will elect the same aging conservative crowd again. I can see why old people vote for republicans but I haven't the foggiest why a young person would? Oh wait oops correction.... I know why they vote these washouts back into office.... because mommy and daddy vote that way. Monkey see monkey do.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I have a feeling that even if Dems take the House or Senate we won't see much change. Damn Dems (elected ones) voted for the Patriot Act, to go to war in Iraq, Patriot Act II and the recent Military Commissions Act. I don't see them repealing any of these things, since they voted for them. Besides that, this election will probably be fixed again anyway. To me, it seems that both parties have deserted their core beliefs and most are now neo-cons anyway. I'd like to vote ALL of them out of office. I'm a Democrat but would happily vote for a Barry Goldwater-type Republican; he was honest, said what he thought and believed in small govt, low taxes and conservative spending.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Is it just me, or has this campiagn been reletively quite?

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I believe it's been quieter than I anticipated, at least up to now. We'll probably get socked hard by both sides with a last-minute media blitz.

My take up to now-

Republicans saying "stay the course".
Democrats saying "change for change's sake".

In my perspective, the Republicans are so far doing a marginally better job of explaining why staying the course is the right option, rather than the Democrats giving specific ideas for change. The Democrats seem to be on the attack, but without any real substance or articulated alternative strategies. Only they'd be "different". Now maybe it's not that way across the country, but here, that's the message we're primarily getting. It's still primarily a "why my opponent sucks" message from both sides, rather than "why I'm better", though, from both sides.

In other words, politics as usual.

[btw, anyone longing for a Goldwater Republican should look long and hard at the Libertarian party. Just sayin'.]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I vote purely out of self iterest and the interest of my family.

As a small businessman/designer/manufacturer, my taxes have gone UP on the federal level since this administration took office.

From my perspective; I see the Big Corps and the wealthy receiving the largest benefits and the small businesses, which make up most of the employers in this country, getting the filthy end of the stick.

Health care and the sudden rise in building materials due to the Iraq war have hurt my business and forcing me to lay off half of my staff.

I changed my voter registration from Democrat to Republican when I took out my business license and got my IRS resale tax number thinking the Republicans would be more friendly to the entrepreneur. I was wrong and now I'm thinking of changing back mainly due to economic conditions but I don't like my tax dollars being used to enrich the likes of Halliburton while I am struggling to just stay in business.
Many of my contemporaries in the building trades are changing their allegiances also.

After thinking about it for awhile; It's the Foley scandal that has cemented my decision to change back to being a Democrat. I don't even want to be remotely associated with pedophiles!

[edit on 23-10-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Republicans Not as Lost as Predicted, if you listen to Fox News and other Propaganda from the right wing. Anyone else and you will be sent to Gitmo for disagreeing with the President! And if you think he can't legally, he can! He said so himself!

"Well it says aliens, so non-citizens."

Yeah, try proving you're a citizen while they are water boarding you, or beating you until you defecate yourself, or go days without food like has been reported from Gitmo.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I would be more than happy to vote for a democrat...if I knew where any of them stood on an issue. I get real tired of hearing "Bush has done (blah)..." OK, fine. What's your alternative idea? "Bush has done (blah)." It's rather a constant refrain...and one that I am somewhat tired of.

Scandles aside, and both parties are as guilty as the other... Agree or disagree, we at least know where the Republicans stand.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Still buying into the 'charade of choice' I see. There are no differences behind the scenes between dems and reps. Sure there are a few more women and a few less pedophiles in the demo party, but they are a front. They were created to give those of a libertarian mindset some hope and parade out their divisive red herrings every election cycle. Notice how the dems have always appeared weak and nuanced. The demo party could have easily carved out a very sane platform in relation to the mayhem this current administration has exibited, but they won't and they never will. I call them the demo party because they demonstrate how gullible and foolish Americans are. It's 2006, do you know where your country went ?

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
OK. Let's assume for the moment that you are the only one of us who isn't gullible. What's your solution to the problem of the "charade of choice"? I hear a whole lot of fussin', but not a whole lot of solution. Not just you, YIAWETA, but a whole lot of other folks, too.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

In my perspective, the Republicans are so far doing a marginally better job of explaining why staying the course is the right option, rather than the Democrats giving specific ideas for change.

Ridiculouos. Republicans tell us to stay the course and Iraq must be won blah blah. Duh! We already look stupid because our intelligence was wrong about the WMDs. Then why don't they commit the troops and resources to secure Iraq?? Because it's politically unpopular! A bunch of pansies which is exactly what I said before. Let's increase the troop level and finish the job or let's get the hell out of there.

One thing's for sure... you can't have a society and democracy with all the killing going on there.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
seagull, if my tone is curt I apologize !.There is a day of revelation coming [not religious] where what we believe today as fact regarding our precious institutions will seem ludacrous. Only in that period of understanding will people begin to act. There will be a greater understanding of how and why we have been manipulated. Some will reject the truth, some will cower to it , some will be driven mad by it and some will fight. New fascist legislation will take care of the resistance though. The Patriot Act, Military Commissions and FEMA have all been geared up for this era of revelation and the subsequent outrage. Regarding specifically national politics in the US there is nothing one can do. But as in all of nature, the healing of sick beings and systems will be a painful and lenghty process.

"Observe how many people evade, rationalize and drive their minds into a state of blind stupor, in dread of discovering that those they deal with- their loved ones or friends or business associates or political rulers- are not merely mistaken but evil. Observe that this dread leads them to sanction, to help and to spread the very evil whose existence they fear to acknowledge"
Ayn Rand

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
No offense taken, YIAWETA, whatsoever. I just keep hearing complaints, yours wasn't the most strident by anymeans, but no one offers much if anything in the way of solutions, or at least workable ones.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join