It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ozone Hole Breaks Record: 11.4million sq. mi.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

The ozone hole, which covers much of Antarctica, is thought to be
caused by human-produced compounds which release chlorine and
bromine.
Chemical reactions high in the atmosphere cause these gases to
destroy ozone.
The presence of the hole—actually an area of significantly reduced
ozone—means that the ultraviolet radiation from the sun reaches
Earth's surface in greater amounts.

"From Sept. 21 to 30, the average area of the ozone hole was the
largest ever observed, at 10.6 million square miles," said Paul New-
man, atmospheric scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center,
Greenbelt, Md.
If the stratospheric weather conditions had been normal, the ozone
hole would be expected to reach a size of about 8.9 to 9.3 million
square miles, about the surface area of North America.

This year also included a daily record tied with Sept. 9, 2002.
The peak size was 11.4 million square miles on Sept. 24 this year,
Newman told LiveScience.com.
"That's the record single-day average."

Newman and his colleagues averaged the last 10 days of September,
peak dates for ozone hole area, for the last quarter of century.

"We go all the way back to 1979," Newman said.
"If you go before 1979 there was no ozone hole."

SOURCE:
LiveScience.com

This is yet another sad sign.
Gaia is withering, and it's our fault, and our leaders refuse to do
anything about it in the name of the economy.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Good find!
although somewhat confusing cuz im sure not long ago on a news report i heard that the ozone was getting better healing it self or sumat!!

not that i belive what the news has to say!!

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
All the way back to 79!! Missing a bit of data don't you think. Not to mention I read that the hole was getting smaller every year. Probably just trying to protect their jobs.

mikell

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Look at the source website it came from. It not NASA, MSNBC, Reuters or the BBC its a green weenie sight. Lot's of propaganda there.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cruizer
Look at the source website it came from. It not NASA, MSNBC, Reuters or the BBC its a green weenie sight. Lot's of propaganda there.

err...It's livescience.com, sir. A pretty big and informative site(along with space.com) which I think many of us frequent to check for interesting stuff. Well, at least I do.

There's really nothing much we can do now. CFCs emission has since been reduced very much and it is the remaining CFCs out there that continue to do the damage through the chain reaction the chlorine radicals initiate. Well, if the scientists can think of some ways to neutralise these radicals, that would be a different thing. Meanwhile, we can expect a rise in skin cancer rate and plants and crops getting affected by the increased amount of UV.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cruizer

Best to learn the term due diligence around here.

...or you'll looking like a fool and eating a lot of this.

NASA AND NOAA ANNOUNCE ANTARCTIC OZONE HOLE IS A RECORD BREAKER

"From September 21 to 30, the average area of the ozone hole was the largest ever observed, at 10.6 million square miles," said Paul Newman, atmospheric scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. If the stratospheric weather conditions had been normal, the ozone hole would be expected to reach a size of about 8.9 to 9.3 million square miles, about the surface area of North America.

"These numbers mean the ozone is virtually gone in this layer of the atmosphere," said David Hofmann, director of the Global Monitoring Division at the NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory. "The depleted layer has an unusual vertical extent this year, so it appears that the 2006 ozone hole will go down as a record-setter."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I believe that an OZONE HOLE is being formed above these thirteen (13) cities in Southern California. Why? The UV Levels as bounded by these cities have been either 11 or 12 for the past THREE months in which I have been documenting their UV levels on a daily basis. Furthermore, when one moves away from the cloud these specific cities outline, the UV level drops to 4 or 5.
Is this something that is happening or not? I need a review and comment from someone in authority or in this science.
The MAP OUTLINE includes the following cities (as a minimum)

1. Anaheim
2. Brea
3. Compton
4. Downey
5. Fullerton
6. La Puente
7. Pico Rivera
8. Placentia
9. Sunset Beach
10. Walnut
11. Westminster
12. West Covina
13. Whittier

Please CONTACT (No PUN INTENTED) me and either VALIDATE these finding with CURRENT data or refute this data entirely with CURRENT data. Regardless of SEASON, the % DROP outside the CLOUD formation should still be present and therefore documentable... I will continue to document the UV's beginning October 1, 2012 for FALL-WINTER Seasons (??) here in So California.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Yes, I thought that Ozone holes are getting smaller, since most of world has stopped using freons and other harming chemicals, its going back to natural state. In natural state, there is still holes, if winter is very cold, and during the summer, it regenerates faster.

top topics

join