It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edit function borkded?

page: 1

join
share:
apc

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone else has been experiencing this, but I am having issues with the edit post function.

Upon editing a post and selecting preview, the edited post will display but the edited post data will disappear from the edit form. So I will have to re-enter the new post data before completing the edit else the edited data will not appear in the post. So far I have been getting around this by just copying the edited data prior to previewing, and then pasting it back into the form before completion.

This seems to only apply to edits. New post previewing works fine.

I have been experiencing this consistently on every browser, OS, and physical location I have logged in at. I first noticed it after a recent board upgrade/change, but I can't recall specifically what that change was.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It has done that ever since I've been here...

So I doubt it's a glitch..

Semper

apc

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
hmm... odd... It is definitely a relatively recent change for me. Perhaps it is I who was always broken, and am now fixed?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It used to do it on new post previews as well when after the last ATS update, I think, but that's fixed now. It still happens with edits occasionally, I've found.

Yeah, I just copy then paste the text after previewing. Easy.

apc

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I haven't been one for web development since the 90s, but I would think this should either be a form handler or cookie error. Maybe the handler is not properly caching the form data? Or if a cookie is being used to handle it, the cookie's expiration is in error and the browser is not interpreting it as valid?

Obviously this isn't a serious issue. It's just one of those "ACK" things encountered when one forgets to go through the copy and paste routine when the need arises to edit a post.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Well I've never noticed that before, probably because I've
never used the preview post function.

Now that I look closere at the title, borkded?

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   

It's done that since the last major design change. Copying the text over works, but if the post includes a lot of bbcode then it becomes a pain in the fingers.

I brought this bug up at the end of April and also pm'ed SkepticOverlord:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Fixing it must bork something else up would be my guess.

There's a borked graphic too. The bar graph below my points is missing, since the 11m.gif doesn't exist on this server then perhaps scaling wasn't suppose to go past 10m.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
There's a borked graphic too. The bar graph below my points is missing, since the 11m.gif doesn't exist on this server then perhaps scaling wasn't suppose to go past 10m.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Nothing borked there, it is just a serious pat on your back.

Thanks for the info Chissler. Noticed the mods have orange bars too.

Since there isn't an 11 bar graphic, how about a green one for "good to go"?

URLs:
11l.gif
11m.gif
11r.gif

[edit on 15-10-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Great discovery.

I know the staff members support the sm.gif, which is the yellow bar.

The green one is something I have not come across.

Very interesting.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Obviously this isn't a serious issue. It's just one of those "ACK" things encountered when one forgets to go through the copy and paste routine when the need arises to edit a post.

It isn't serious here, where the most critical thing we are doing is replying to a post. But it would never fly in many other sectors. Imagine something similar happening in a financial institution. Or a guidance system.

It has to do with cache coherency, imo. It shows up in multi-processor systems. Any time a processor wants a piece of data, it needs to get the most recent copy of that data. That "most recent copy" may be in main memory, in the processor's own cache, or in another processor's cache. The algorithm that maintains the coherency point is critcal.

Or, it could just be a crappy editor.

top topics

join