It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new argument for skeptics/debunkers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A previous post of mine seemed to have urked(sp?) quite a few of you here at ATS. Some of you called me arrogant or just flat out mocked me. Well Ill try a different approach.

Dont you think it is a bit arrogant, perhaps even ignorant to assume that we are alone in the universe. Again I would like to bring up the point that it is this type of narrow minded thinking that doubted the earth was round, that doubted one day man would fly, and finally my point.................IT IS THIS TYPE OF NARROWMIND THAT DOUBTED TELEPORTATION WAS POSSIBLE. I first learned this in Discover magazine probably a year or so ago. I dont know why I havnt brought it to you people's attention, as I think it is quite relevant to the discussion. Yes it is being done today in labs across the world. By HUMAN BEINGS. Granted, it is being done on an atomic level (so they say). It is still, yet again, another SCI-FI phenomena MADE REAL. The fact that it is possible to ELIMINATE SPACE from the equation, is enough for any half way intelligent person to figure that this something to consider as far as the future of how mankind will do many things including travel. You have doubts to as how "BIG" teleportation will get? Tell me something then, ask youself how SMALL how PORTABLE telephones have gotten, how FAST compuetrs have become. This was all sci-fi at one timet folks. Now my next point;

Human beings have discovered teleportation on an atomic level, perhaps it is being done on a larger scale. Assuming we are not alone in the universe, and that we are NOT the most advanced civilization in it. Remember MODERN SCIENCE(skeptics religion) has pretty much concluded that it is impossible that we are alone in this universe, let alone not one of many, many, many civilizions out there. Dont you think it might be possible that they are using this technology to eliminate space?

Dont belive me? Do a google search on teleportation

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
(I think it is "irked" but I really don't know either
)

First off I completely agree with you in some aspects though I must say that at least from my experience the debunker approach on ATS doesn't so much focus on a "we are alone in the universe" theory but more of a "that video/picture does not constitute valid proof beyond doubt that there are/were aliens on this planet".

Secondly I'd just like to ask something that's started to bug me. I've never considered myself to be a sceptic through life and in my approach daily events I'm probably even the opposite - always waiting for a surprise. I have to admit though that much to my concern
I sometimes here on ATS find myself on the other side - the so called sceptic side. My question is:

- If I see a picture of an object in the air and as I look at it I think it is a bird... am I narrowminded? Sceptic? A backwards person?
- If someone makes a claim am I not expected to ask for details and more information? Am I to believe everyone and everything without questioning?
- Is questioning something a person with an open mind wouldn't do?

Lastly just as a suggestion - is there such thing as a die-hard narrowminded, sceptic individual on ATS? I mean... what kind of self-respecting sceptic would find (him)herself on a forum called www.abovetopsecret.com? Personally I think that the conflict that is most seen in a forum like this is between those who want to believe and those who want to know - something very different in my opinion but that can co-exist perfectly. Someone narrowminded would probably not even come to this site.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by InTrueFiction]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beyonddeath
Dont you think it is a bit arrogant, perhaps even ignorant to assume that we are alone in the universe. ..(section of post snipped)...Dont belive me? Do a google search on teleportation

First of all, we skeptics do NOT assume we are alone in the universe. It is actually unlikely that we are, and so we rely on the default assumption that there are probably others out there *somewhere*. Where we draw the line is in having specific beliefs about aliens visiting us or having done so in the past. I think it is VERY telling that the typical person here on ATS (typical, not all) who believes aliens are visiting us ALSO believes a collection of other things that require belief and offer scant if any evidence (atlantis, channelling, chupacabra, etc). This points not toward visiting-aliens being real, but toward believers being, well - believers.

As for teleportation, if you actually read the literature on these experiments you will find that they do NOT circumvent the speed of light in trasmitting material or information. A change may register instantly, but that's only AFTER you've placed object B way over there (at sub-light speeds). This is what happens when folks see truly exciting science happening and jump to unwarranted conclusions.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Except that it isnt actually teleportation they are just making a copy at a distance from completely different local particles then destroying the original. Would you want a copy of yourself made somewhere else then killed after although I doubt if even that would ever be possible it would be akin to making a machine build life.

Most people dont discount life in the universe what they dont believe is Alien life visiting here because there is no evidence for it at all and most UFOs are explained very well with natural phenomenen and hoaxes.

Take the foo-fighters for an example UFO believers constantly bringing thing up with realising the french word for fire is feu (feu fighters/ foo fighters). They certainly match the behaviour of fire balloons from descriptions and the resistance in France seems the obvious conclusion. What better way to confuse the german air defense cheaply and effectively and maybe even start a few fires.

Theres just no connection between Aliens and UFOs, and teleportation doesnt really prove anything even if we were able to do it the sci fi way.

Your logic of Teleportation exists so we are being visited by Aliens is bewildering.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by Shamanator]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Im reffering to the rabid type
the people who come here just to prove to theselves just beause they need that assurance, however they seem to not be so sure.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Is there evidence? Yes. Plenty of evidence. But... evidence does not equal proof. Speculation does not equal proof. Extrapolation of current technology to an assumed elsewhere where technology may be more advanced is not proof.

Ever been in a criminal courtroom? The place practically drips with evidence. But it's up to a jury to determine whether or not the evidence adds up to proof.

I'm open to the possibility. I'll accept proof when there's proof. To date, I've seen a lot of speculation, theory, and anectdotal evidence, but no proof.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I dont think all skeptics or debunkers think that we are alone in the universe, they just need actual evidence of a event to believe it more then others. If anything we need debunkers/skeptics in this field to keep us all thinking logically.

When i first got intrested in the ufo scene (about 10 years ago), i belived almost any story that was put infront of me. Through time and maturity, i came to the conclusion of not believe everything you here or see. So in a way i have become more skeptical, but that doesn't mean i dont believe.

Everything needs a balance

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
Except that it isnt actually teleportation they are just making a copy at a distance from completely different local particles then destroying the original. Would you want a copy of yourself made somewhere else then killed after although I doubt if even that would ever be possible it would be akin to making a machine build life.

SHOW ME WHERE IT SAYS THIS, it sounds like you made up your own conclusion, unless you are reading a different source.

You should maybe spend sometime actually reading what they are doing instead of reading teleportation and jumping to conclusions and conspiracys.

who are you to give advice? YOu are, after all on a CONSPIRACY THEORISTS bulliten board. I read this information thoroughly and accuratly.

Most people dont discount life in the universe what they dont believe is Alien life visiting here because there is no evidence for it at all and most UFOs are explained very well with natural phenomenen and hoaxes.

LOL MANY still dont belive in life outside our planet, and even fewer believed so just a few decades ago...NO EVIDENCE? Im not going to even start on that one? I suppose roswell was a weather balloon, and yada yada. What they DONT BELIEVE? Ive actually seen a few statistics on how many people believe we are being visited, the numbers are startling to say the least.

Take the foo-fighters for an example UFO believers constantly bringing thing up with realising the french word for fire is feu (feu fighters/ foo fighters). They certainly match the behaviour of fire balloons from descriptions and the resistance in france seems the obvious conclusion. What better way to confuse the german air defense cheaply and effectively and maybe even start a few fires.

Im sick of repeating myself. Im not a "UFO beliver". Im an individual. I dont belive in every conspiracy. why are we taking foo fighters for example? How is this of any relevance? I was simply stating teleportation is now possible. Therefore more advanced civilizations just might have harnessed it max potential.

Theres just no connection between Aliens and UFOs and teleportation doesnt really prove anything even if we were able to do it the sci fi way. Your logic of Teleportation exists so we are being visited by Aliens is bewildering.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sophismata

Originally posted by Beyonddeath
Dont you think it is a bit arrogant, perhaps even ignorant to assume that we are alone in the universe. ..(section of post snipped)...Dont belive me? Do a google search on teleportation

First of all, we skeptics do NOT assume we are alone in the universe. It is actually unlikely that we are, and so we rely on the default assumption that there are probably others out there *somewhere*. Where we draw the line is in having specific beliefs about aliens visiting us or having done so in the past. I think it is VERY telling that the typical person here on ATS (typical, not all) who believes aliens are visiting us ALSO believes a collection of other things that require belief and offer scant if any evidence (atlantis, channelling, chupacabra, etc). This points not toward visiting-aliens being real, but toward believers being, well - believers.

As for teleportation, if you actually read the literature on these experiments you will find that they do NOT circumvent the speed of light in trasmitting material or information. A change may register instantly, but that's only AFTER you've placed object B way over there (at sub-light speeds). This is what happens when folks see truly exciting science happening and jump to unwarranted conclusions.

If you dont fit this description, why reply? This makes absolutly no sense. Im obviously reffering to skeptics with this particular frame of mind. In fact I approach everything with a healthy dose of skepticism. Here we go assuming again, I dont belive in chupacabra, atlantis..perhaps, channeling..theres most definatly something going on there.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Is there evidence? Yes. Plenty of evidence. But... evidence does not equal proof. Speculation does not equal proof. Extrapolation of current technology to an assumed elsewhere where technology may be more advanced is not proof.

Ever been in a criminal courtroom? The place practically drips with evidence. But it's up to a jury to determine whether or not the evidence adds up to proof.

I'm open to the possibility. I'll accept proof when there's proof. To date, I've seen a lot of speculation, theory, and anectdotal evidence, but no proof.

I agree thoroughly.. this IS just speculation. But its another piece to this puzzle.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
You dont have to look very far to see this teleportation thing has been covered already and they came to similar conclusions in it not being real teleportation as I have.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If Aliens did have travel like teleportation for instance that makes it even harder to explain their absence and makes the Fermi Paradox much harder to ignore.

new topics

top topics

join