It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: North Korea conducts nuke test

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
This just in the USGS confirms seismic activity 240 miles NE of pyongyang

link   
Yeah how ironic. It seems the United States invaded the wrong country in the first place. Would going to war with North Korea affect the war on terror in Iraq? I think it definately would! Talk about stretching military resources.

link   

I think its way to early to do anything just yet. That would be jumping to conclusions in my opinion.

Depends what assets they have in place in the region, but i think this will move very quickly. One thing is for certain, the diplomacy option is straight out of the window.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I wonder what this all means when coupled with this story:

Shots fired amid Korean tension

South Korean troops have fired warning shots at soldiers from the North amid rising tension over North Korean plans to test a nuclear weapon.
Early reports suggest that about 40 shots were fired when soldiers crossed into the demilitarised zone.

Source.

Anything?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient
I want to watch but I also have school tomorrow.

Just skip school and tell them your studying world history....another excuse would be, the NK October surprise scared the S5$# out of you.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by XPhiles]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by vicarious

Originally posted by Sr Wing Commander I hate to say this, but I only see one option and that's hitting every freakin' possible target in N. Korea with a massive conventional attack. Because as soon as one gets out of that country it will wind up here.

I think its way to early to do anything just yet. That would be jumping to conclusions in my opinion.

I am not saying hit them tonight, but let's look at it. Kim has already said:

1. Sanctions equal war.
2. Embargo or blockade equals war.
3. Technically we are already at war, just under an armitist (sp)?

We can't let him sell it or help Iran. The only other option is to live with it and watch S. Korea and Japan go nuclear (China does NOT want a nuclear armed Japan), Tiaiwan, possibly Australia as well.

Obvioulsy the UN will meet, and China will probably make overtures, but all roads lead to bad and/or worse.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by othello

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

I think that is the one....

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
'scuse me, i gotta go find my REM cd...

"its the end of the world as we know it..."

eh maybe not.

but i wouldnt be to worried about a draft. generals have known for years now that a volunteer army is a mroe effective force.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I dont think we should go to war to save face.

I'm not worried about NK having nukes to use, I'm worried about them selling nukes and the arms buildup as a result.

I think we've put ourselves in a very very bad position. We're in Iraq and Afghanistan, there's no way we could fight against Iran and NK. Both have extremely well politically indoctrinated militaries. If we do go to war, its going to get very bloody very quickly. If we do go to war, I expect to see the draft. If we do go to war, it will initially be conventional, then nuclear.

Very troubling. I wonder how bush is going to handle this, seeing as he's not a particularly impressive politician.

link   
Where did you guys hear Bush was going to address the nation? And any indication of time? I should be getting to bed, but if I'm gonna get drafted I may as well just skip work tomorrow

link   
Just caught the end of it, but pretty sure that MBC news (link further up thread) have just shown video of the test.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
just watching CNN Online, a guy they had on said that the pentagon has considered an entire blockade of the entire country to prevent any arms sales from leaving the country. Obviously that is impossible.. I know they have the plans drawn up to invade, we have plans to invade everywhere..

And has anyone seen a time which the president will adress the people?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Sorry to go off topic. But the song thats playing in my playlist right now is "Fight Fire with Fire" by Metallica. That song is so tight and yet it perfectly fits this situation.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Why do I get the feeling that bush is sitting in his chair right now bellyaching about this messing up his day off tomorrow?

Bush: ohh hell, i was lookin' forward to goin' duck huntin' tomorrah and these damn koreans mussed it up.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Fox just said they called in the reporters. So they said the President should be talking soon.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
yes, all I want to know is WHEN as in time is he adressing... an adress after midnight.. has that ever happened before??

Boy I don't think it has, but I could be wrong. That late, is almost like he doesn't really want anyone to hear what he has to say....that's kind of wierd! It must be pacific time that's he's to address?

[edit on 10/9/2006 by jensouth31]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I thought I should add my two cents on this topic, I think a WWIII is a bit closer, and all Americans that post on this should consider purchasing a weapon if they don't already have access to one, whether war happens today or 10 years from now I really do believe it is unevitable.

Let us all hope that a diplomatic solution can be reached with this escalating provocation of war, my prayers go out to all Americans..

... if I am drafted I will burn the slip I don't believe spilling innocent blood is the solution without absolute neccesity.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Japans new prime minister has flown to South korea for face to face talks with the South Korean president.

more news:
--China has advanced warning of test by 20 minutes.

--North Korea has said the test was done underground...its location is close to an old mine shaft.

--US administration is saying the nuke was "pretty small".

--South Korea's military has went on a high alert.

BTW, just wanted to point out that the US likely knew about it right when it happened, since they have global coverage with their GPS, which can detect nuclear explosions, its called: United States Nuclear Detonation Detection System (USNDS).

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It appears the nuclear test was real, so I really don't see how Kim can retain power since now he's lost his only ally, China.

It appears now the U.S., China, South Korea and Japan are in a hot war with North Korea.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join