It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: North Korea conducts nuke test

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
Think it might be time for a blockade. Can't afford to have those things on North Kore's subs and sneak over to the coasts of the United States.

I still don't believe they would or could do that. In essence that action would wipe Korea from the map. Something I think Kim Jong wouldn't want.

Originally posted by infinite8
We also don't need any special deiveries into the hands of the Radical Islamists. Last time we blockaded a country was during the Cuban Missle Crisis. I think it may be time once again. China needs to take some action though, as well as Russia. The USA shouldn't have to be the one to force the issue here.

Agreed, I think the rest of the world needs to step up, we all know what happens when Uncle Sam gets involved.

IMO France should STFU, the have no ground to stand on and any condemnation from them further highlights their ignorance.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I'd be interested to see how Russia goes about this whole situation, Putin seems to like rolling back the good ol' soviet ways of yesteryear and here stands a defiant communist nation who has started to flex it's muscles and is gaining attention for it. It's definetely in China's best interest to oppose NK in this siutation, having a market based economy means it's best to stick with the US.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astygia
The sad thing is, N Korea would have suspended their nuke program long ago if Bush had just agreed to bilateral talks with them, which he flatly refused.

What the hell are you on?

Your actually going to take kim jong il's word??? It amazes me how dumb some people are, and all the people like you do is attempt to blame it all on Bush.

Want some facts? (or would you just prefer to listen to CNN and read papers like the Washington post and new york times?)

1993 - North Korea says it will quit the Nonproliferation Treaty.

1994 - North Korea & the US sign a deal that has them dismantle their nuclear weapons program in exchange for help building two power producing nuclear reactors. (BTW, this is Bill Clinton's era)

1999- Five years later: President Clinton agrees to a first major easing of economic sanctions against North Korea since the Korean War's end in 1953.

We gave the technologies to help their nuclear program along...and this was not done under Bush, but on the pathetically weak Clinton administration.

All the Un and the US and the rest of the world due is continue to put stricter sanctions on them....We need to send the world a message that the US wont put up with this nutcase having nukes. North Korea has said, that they consider making nukes a possible "cash crop"...in other words...sell them to terrorists for a pretty penny.
North Korea's rocket tech isn't very good at all, but if they sell tem to terrorist, they might be able to smuggle one into the US.

We all ready have a bad wrap for telling Pakistan to not develop nukes...and they did, and we did nothing to them for it.
Now if we dont touch North Korea....What do you think Iran is thinking?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
What the hell are you on?

Your actually going to take kim jong il's word??? It amazes me how dumb some people are, and all the people like you do is attempt to blame it all on Bush...

I'm guessing that you stopped reading at this point and just had to reply. Had you continued reading, you'd have caught this just a couple of posts later:

But if we do go to war, it's important that the president is able to truthfully say that every last option was exhausted; how's it going to look when he says "Well, I have a duty to protect the American people, so we're going to war with North Korea" and some reporter asks "Sir, didn't they say they'd rethink their nuclear ambitions if you just agreed to talk with them? Surely talking with them wouldn't have lost you anything?"

I'm not removing responsibility from NK, just pointing out an obvious bit of future ammunition for if and when a war emerges.

Perhaps a little comprehension next time.

We all ready have a bad wrap for telling Pakistan to not develop nukes...and they did, and we did nothing to them for it.
Now if we dont touch North Korea....What do you think Iran is thinking?

Regardless of how bad our "wrap" is, and regardless of how uncomfortable it makes me for N Korea or Iran to have nukes (because YES, I find their leaders mentally unstable, to put nicely, and I really don't like them having nukes!), the question remains: Who made us God? If the roles were reversed and North Korea told the USA we weren't allowed to develop a nuke, I'd build twenty just out of sheer principle.

So, just in case you missed something this time around:

1. Not blaming it all on Bush. As I said before, it COULD (read: >could

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I'm guessing that you stopped reading at this point and just had to reply.

correct.

guess I should of kept on readin'.

sorry, Its just that it gets very old with all the people that blame all the problems of the world on Bush.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
No harm done dood.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Ok so where are we now? Looks like a bunch of sanctions against North Korea. China and i believe South korea are big influences in it's economy and trade. Its interesting to see especially how China will react to these sanctions, since it is a big partner in trade with North Korea (or thats what i think i saw earlier in this thread). Anyways, this situation will be more of a balancing act of sanctions and restrictions between north Korea and surrounding asian countries.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by vicarious]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Just air drop a few million of these all over North Korea!

I'M SO RONERY OH SO RONERY

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by vicarious
Ok so where are we now?

The latest news I've read states that they believe NK to have enough plutonium stored for a total of 7 nukes.
Many think the second test is comming...I read somewhere that they think thursday.

Back in 98' when pakistan became a nuclear power they did like 6 nuke tests...and there hasn't been any nuke tests since...well, until now apparently.

edit: BTW, to my knowledge I dont think the US and many others administrations have actually said that this is a 100% confirmed nuke test.
I still have some doubts on the whole thing.
For me a big test will be between now and the comming months...if there is no more tests by 2007...Then I am going to assume this is a NK hoax...whether that be Kim filling a mine with tnt, or just took advantage of a natural earthquake.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Even if North Korea has 6 or 12 nukes, yea that'd be bad, but not enough to win any war. North Korea already oppresses its impovershed citizens, I can only imagine how hard it will be for them with trading sanctions. Its an unfortunate thing, nuclear weps can't feed the children of Korea..

The report of the explosion as of Tuesday 3am is it could be 400K tons of TNT that set the explosion, which means that it could or could not be a nuke. Also, I keep reading that North Korea confirms no radiation has leaked. Personally, I wouldn't believe anything they said.

For all we know, if it was a nuke, fallout could travel in the air and affect the people of China, S. Korea, & Japan.

As far as the U.S. is concerned, we should not over-impose our recommendations. We are hated by the world because we're such a strong, powerful, independent nation, but I think mostly we're disliked because we infringe our democratic ideals uninvitedbly upon rogue nations and anti-westerner cultures.

Maybe instead of fixing everyone elses problems, we should focus on our own.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by bbrain]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
BBC radio is now reporting "security sources" as having told the Washington Post that the blast may have been the high explosive precursor of a nuclear device only and that the nuclear explosion failed.

This would explain the very low scale of the explosion and the immediate and rather defensive comment from the Koreans that no radiation had escaped.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by timeless test]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a 400 kiloton precursor, are you serious?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I'm no expert (as may be obvious), but this is being reported this morning and does fit with, (what appears to me), the slight reticence of almost everyone to state categorically that a successful nuclear explosion took place.

With the exception of the Russians everyone is reporting a very small blast for a successful test.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Fox news is now saying that N.K. vows to launch a nuke tipped missile if the U.S. does not return to the table for one on one talks. Hasn't most of the world been trying to get THEM to return to "talks" or am i missing something. Plus are they even launch a nuke tipped missle. Has any other nation responed to this development. Fox is not saying much.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
am i the only one not suprised by the lack of a 'radiation leak'?

eyah there would have been a gamma burst if it was a nuke...but that disipates the further you get from the blast site, and A/B radiation is pretty weak. if they had buried this thing in a mine (one report i think i read said almost a mile down) its not so hard to believe.

they kept talking about it becuase im sure everyones worst fear from a test is a major fallout leak and for them to say "oh theres no leak" is another way to demonstrate their "proficiency"

but thats just me i guess...

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Wow how can the global banking cartel attack NK, Iran and Venezuela all at the same time?

Mind you Lil' Kim with a bomb does not make me happy.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The U.S. has carried out 1,030 nuclear weapons tests (the last and final test on 23 September 1993).

Since 16 July 1945 there have been 2,044 tests worldwide, the equivalent of one test occurring somewhere in the world every nine days for the last fifty years.

Greenpeace

ONE NUCLEAR TEST EVERY 9 (NINE) DAYS

That certainly puts all of this into perspective....

Sri Oracle

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
There's something odd about all of this.

The initial claims and total lack of any real proof were odd for a start and now?

The tone lately has been even more hazy.

Things look far from certain and no-one is providing 'proof' anything happened.

The one thing that can be pointed to was that there was a small rumble monitored on seismographs - one report here in the UK even suggested Nth Korea had taken advantage of a minor localised earth quake (which mightn't be so difficult or hard to believe seeing as they are in a quake zone anyway) and simply made some more 'big claims'.

Nth Korea wants to convince the world (and especially the USA) that she has nuclear weapons because they think his will ward off attack.....a clear case of the unintended consequences of a foreign policy, huh?

Personally I'm sceptical.

I think (just like with the supposed 'Iran situation') that it suits far too many people in some surprising places to have a small handful of these pygmy 'bogeymen' popping up at opportune moments and supposedly scaring and threatening us all.

That's not to say that I don't believe there is a real (if small) 'terrorist' threat
but
personally I find the idea of nations like Iran or Nth Korea suiciding themselves in what would necessarily have to be a small nuclear attack on the USA, Europe, Israel, Russia or China just laughably ridiculous......

......and I can only question the mentality and motives of those who try and 'sell' such a notion to us.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JEREK
Fox news is now saying that N.K. vows to launch a nuke tipped missile if the U.S. does not return to the table for one on one talks. Hasn't most of the world been trying to get THEM to return to "talks" or am i missing something. Plus are they even launch a nuke tipped missile.

North Korea has been wanting Bi-lateral talks for some time now...which means just the US and NK...But the US is pushing for them to go back to 6 party talks...Which involves these countries like The US, Russia, China, Japan, South Korea, & North Korea.
Six party talks are the right way to handle this, the countries in that region should have a voice...But North Korea doesn't want to hear what they have to say.

BTW...dont listen to the left bush bashing media about this topic (well, any topic really), they spin everything. They always call Bush a "cowboy" and how he always does things by himself and not involving other countries. But the six party talks defies what they say...so what so they do? simple, they just say stuff like "Bush could of prevented NK from getting the bomb if only he had done bi-lateral talks with NK"........and if he would have done bi-lateral talks.....there position would of switched overnight, and once again calling him a "cowboy" for not involving the other countries in the talks.

But North Korea has constantly lied to us and the world about there nuke program, they have constantly being saying there not working on nuclear weapons...when they obviously are. And dont expect the UN to do anything about it...since there basically like your shadow...meaning they will show there presence every now and again...but never actually do anything.

As for a nuclear tipped missile...theres not a chance in hell it could reach the US...But it could possibly hit closer countries...like Japan.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

I'm guessing that you stopped reading at this point and just had to reply.

correct.

guess I should of kept on readin'.

sorry, Its just that it gets very old with all the people that blame all the problems of the world on Bush.

sorry, Its just that it gets very old with all the people that blame all the problems of the world on Clinton.

North Korea had zero nukes in 2000....now in 2006 how many do they have....Bush policies concerning North Korea is a huge failure

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join