It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Iraqi Police Fall Ill Simultaneously - Poison Suspected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hundreds of police fell mysteriously ill in the South of Iraq while sharing a meal in the wake of Ramadan. They appear to have been poisoned. The US Military helped transport them to a hospital for treatment. Exact figures have not been released, but one official who was interviewed claimed that up to 40% of a 1700 man division had been affected.

abcnews.go.com
Several hundred Iraqi police fell sick from poisoning during a meal breaking their daily Ramadan fast on Sunday, Iraqi officials said. The cause was under investigation.

Ambulances and helicopters sent by the U.S. military ferried the sickened policemen to hospital after they fell ill at their base near the southern town of Numaniyah, said an Interior Ministry official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release details to the press.

The Interior Ministry official said that up to 40 percent of the Division's 1,700 policemen may have been affected. He said authorities suspected they may have fallen sick from drinking water, raising the possibility that the poisoning was intentional.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, what a mess. I suppose it's entirely possible that the culprit is food poisoning or some bacteria in the water - but still...

If this is a prelude of things to come, I would not want to be an Iraqi policeman. It makes perfect sense from the standpoint of those seeking to destabilize the region. Why kill their opponents one at a time, when they can attack hundreds or even thousands with one action?

Hopefully the men will recover, there's no evidence yet that anyone has died as a result of the incident - so that's good. Still, not a pleasant situation, and as I said before, this does not bode well if it's a glimpse of things to come.

(Edit) Well, so much for good news. Now a report has come out stating that there have been 11 deaths so far. The report has been contested, but it ought to be mentioned. It wouldn't make any sense to report deaths that hadn't happened, whereas there is an understandable motive for concealing the extent of the damage done...

www.usatoday.com...

An official with the Environment Ministry said 11 policemen had died. However, the governor of Wasit province — where the poisoning took place — denied any deaths, though he said some of the victims were in critical condition. There was no immediate explanation for the contradictory reports.

Between 600-700 policemen were affected to varying degrees, and 11 who had the heaviest amount of the food had died, Atwan told AP.

Some of the soldiers collapsed as soon as they stood up from them meal, others fell "one after the other" as they headed out to the yard in the base to line up in formation, Atwan said.

That doesn't sound like food poisoning, or bacteria in the water...
[edit on 8-10-2006 by WyrdeOne]

[edit on 8-10-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
E-Coli?--like in our Spinich, Carrots, and now, Lettuce? Oh, methinks there is definately
"something in the Water"----. Going to be interesting to see if it is E-Coli--and the same strain.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
That doesn't sound like food poisoning, or bacteria in the water...

Agreed. This is so sad and scary. Seems this would go out as a 'message' to any stabilizing force in the country of Iraq. Not to take away from the Iraqi police, but everyone who eats or drinks is vulnerable to those who want them dead. :shk:

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Just how protected would food and water sources be in that country?
Not being sure the food your eating to serve your STARVING stomach afterh ours and hours of patrols and battles would be about the last straw I imagine.

Obvioulsy, the insurgent forces if you will, arent under enough pressure..
If they have the time, the means and the ability to poison food/water supplies... then I think its contrary to what the foreign affairs minister said today
'' thinks are not as desperate as they seem ''

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
As far as this being E. Coli, I think that's very unlikely. In my experience, that takes at least six hours or so to start affecting someone. If these men were literally just finished with their meals when symptoms kicked up, I'd say it's a sure bet they were poisoned with something.

The question is..what?

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Poisoning has been tried before by the Iraqis. Granted this was three years ago but still.
Who would expect a poisoned water tank????

www.post-gazette.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
yes but in a situation like that where people drink as and when you risk only a few people being exposed before the source is discovered and stopped

from a purely technica point of view this attack seems immpecable perfect time when they know 700 people were going to drink at the same time

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   

www.cnn.com...

Iraqi authorities have arrested the man in charge of the mess hall in Numaniya, where hundreds of Iraqi police fell ill after eating their evening meal on Sunday, breaking their daily Ramadan fast.

Initial lab test results of the food and water suggest it was negligence by the contractor, not an attack, Interior Ministry spokesman Brig. General Abdul Karim Khalaf said.

The contractor was arrested and the cooks are being interrogated, he said.

Despite earlier reports, Khalaf said there were no deaths, and that 450 police were sickened at the mess hall about 75 miles (120 km) south of Baghdad.

So, this smells a bit like a coverup.

Then again, it could just be a case of initial reports blowing the severity of the illness out of proportion.

apc

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Negligence... yeah... like cooking with chlorine bleach instead of water.

If this wasn't intentional, then I think it really would have to be something that crazy to cause such a quick reaction.

new topics

top topics

join