It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France Outraged Over New U.S. Nickel

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 04:48 PM
link   
(2003-11-08) -- France today lodged a formal complaint at the United Nations over the new design of the U.S. nickel. The reverse of the new nickel commemorates the bicentennial of the 1803 Louisiana Purchase, when the U.S. bought 800,000 square miles of French territory for four cents an acre.

www.scrappleface.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Thats funny man. Another little dig at the French by the Americans. I can't beleive they've done it!

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
no comment...

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 04:56 PM
link   
They are the ones who sold it so cheap...so why get upset now.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The word is out now...we embarassed them in front of the whole world.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Sorry but that is the most petty thing I've heard.

With all that goes on in this world, they complain about that?

It's not like the coin has "# France" on it.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Are the French Really such Huge ButtHeads ?

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I think it's more like "France #ed themselves" a hundred plus years ago...

Your post made me laugh my till guts started hurting!

PEACE...
m...

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I would say after viewing the coin........France is crying because they obviously have nothing better to do? Rigghhhttt.........more "whine" with that "goat" cheese?!

Judge for yourself.......what "exactly" is so "offensive":

The French are crying over this because they are just whiners......the imagery for the coin was used before....many, many years ago......they didn't cry "foul" then.....let us all put our heads together and wonder why they are whining now shall we?! Obvious isn't it?

Please....pass the cheese please, pretty please.......

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 8-11-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
hahahaha wow that's pretty funny.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:18 PM
link   
the french suck
we saved ther butts twice and they still can't get it together...and guess what...we will save them again because the u.s. are such nice f*&king guys.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Is there anyone on this website who doesn't hate France?? Anyone at all walking and not riding the mindless French-hating bandwagon?

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The French are cool.....been to Paris twice...loved it.
The whining has got to go though, and in the case of going to the UN over this particular coin Flinx, that IS some major "whineing!

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   
4 cents an acre was probably a good deal back then, I dunno.

Everybody says that the indians got screwed when they sold Manhattan for a bunch of beads. Keep in mind that at the time beads were the same as money to indians. I saw on TV that if the indians had taken the monetary value of the beads they were given and invested it at 10% a year, those beads would now be able to buy all of New York and half of California.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 07:11 PM
link   
i think we should make a four cent coin instead of the nickel with the louisianna purchase

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
The French are cool.....been to Paris twice...loved it.
The whining has got to go though, and in the case of going to the UN over this particular coin Flinx, that IS some major "whineing!

regards
seekerof

Well I agree, this complaint is pretty ridiculous. But I don't think we should put down the French people in general because of a few idiots in their government. It just seems like whenever the French are mentioned, people start bashing France like a pinata...

Historical sidenote: The Louisiana Territory was sold to the United States by Napoleon Bonaparte in order to fund his imperialist wars. If I remember correctly....

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
How funny. One would think that the French Government would have better things to do.
Note: I dont particularly like the French government, but I have nothing against the country as a whole.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I did some calcluations. The Dutch bought Manhattan in 1626, that is 378 years ago. At 10% interest your money doubles roughly every 7 years. That means that the money would have doubled 54 times by now.
If you start with $2 and double it 54 times, you end up with over $18,000,000,000,000,000. It is said that the value of the beads was $24. That means that initial 24 dollars, if invested wisely at 10% a year would now be worth over $216,000,000,000,000,000

If only they had a good investor.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Took me a minute, but I caught it! Ha!Ha! Almost fell for it!

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Well the french dont wanna blame themselves for the mistake. blame Nepolian he the one who sold it in desperation because he was loosing the 100yr. war

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join