It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 different supposed demonic books

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
So, I had recently heard from a friend about a book that had latin phrases in it, which had nearly drove him insane. I though this to be some sort of a satanic bible. Then, a few days ago, I was in walden books and I saw a copy of the satanic bible. I thought, "Could this be the book he mentioned before?" So I picked it up, and I have began reading it, it has actually been a good read so far. I asked my friend about his "book". He said that it was black, no title, and had an reversed pentagram on it. So, 2 questions.

1. Is there anything special about the satanic bible, or is it just as powerful as any other book?

2. What is the book which my friend mentioned?

EDIT: The post cut off part of my title

[edit on 2-10-2006 by Arkham]

Cug

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkham

1. Is there anything special about the satanic bible, or is it just as powerful as any other book?

Nothing really powerfull about it, in fact most of it's ideas were plagiarized from works by Ayn Rand, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Aleister Crowley. The first section "The book of Satan" is nothing but lines from from Ragnar Redbeard's Might is Right.

But giving due credit to LaVey, he did manage to form a interesting system from all his sources.

2. What is the book which my friend mentioned?

It could be. But if it drove him insane.. your friend has problems

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Im not going to call your friend a liar or anything, but it sounds like any number of mythical books that legends have sprung up around.

I suppose it would be possible for your friend to have gotten his hands on some kind of ancient lost manuscript, but I wouldn't worry about finding a copy in your local Walden books.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Sorry, I should have elaborated. He read a little of the book. And the next few days, he began to see things, shadows and whatnot. He began to have unexplained scratches and such. He only read a little, but the shadows prevented him from sleeping, the reason he was going crazy, it has yet too end. He somehow got used to it, so he is back to normal now.

He didn't get his book from the book store, he got it from his grandma. He couldn't joke about this. I felt kind of weird just being around it. I said it was all in our heads. But, could I be wrong? He brought the book to school, so I know that the book is real, and when I tried to look at it, I got this slight feeling of sickness, not very prominent, as I do this quite often, but it was very hard to be filed as coincidence, and I have never seen the book again.

[edit on 2-10-2006 by Arkham]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
He could have read the necronomicon

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonathan_Pannell
He could have read the necronomicon

The only Necronomicon in actual existence is an arty coffeetable book by the Swiss surrealist H.R. Giger.

The 'original' Necronomicon was a fictitious work invented by the horror-story writer H.P. Lovecraft and mentioned in some of his stories. It does not exist and has never existed.

Arkham: your friend obviously lives a rich, full fantasy life.

Cug

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
The only Necronomicon in actual existence is an arty coffeetable book by the Swiss surrealist H.R. Giger.

The only Necronomicon? Strange, if I look to the bookshelf that's not 4 feet away I can see no less than 5 versions of the Necronomicon.

But anyway most of the editions of the Nec don't just have a pentagram on the cover. And it's really not old enough to be handed down from a G-ma. Well strike that, it's almost 30 years old now so I guess it could happen.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
Strange, if I look to the bookshelf that's not 4 feet away I can see no less than 5 versions of the Necronomicon.

Like Arkham's friend, your bookshelf obviously has a rich fantasy life.

Okay, okay, I'm sure there are any number of Necronomica published since Lovecraft came up with the name. If there's a market niche, somebody's going to fill it. But the 'original', the one putatively written by 'Abdul Alhazred', doesn't exist. Never did.

Cug

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   
So?

Why can't a grimoire be biased on a fictional book?

In fact because the whole mythos was created by a talented author, it just might work better than any of the "traditional" grimoires.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
go get a copy of it from your friend...
scan in a few pages and post it for us.

Things are usually based on suggestion.
i.e. you think its powerful, your mind does the magic.

If I were to read the book, doubt it would have the same effect, as a lot depends on ones perspective...not about a subject but how one takes in life all together.

Magic is in the mind...(this is not bad, just pointing the potential source.)
Everything else in this particular domain seems to be tools to assist ones path.

I would be interested in taking a look if you ever can scan in and post some pages from grandmas book. I had some interesting great-grandparents that supposedly were able to levitate (one was an indian witch doctor, not that this knowledge benefited me as it was not passed on, nor did I know her.)

So it would be interesting to know the grandmas background...is she Irish? (other grandparent who levitated, I believe was from Ireland...we know they have the magic lephrechans there.
)

Peace

Dalen

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
perhaps your friend ingested a few to many 'shrooms?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Honestly, my friend is a booze head, and I have always tried to hold the idea that it was all in my head, and I still believe so. When I can get to a scanner and try to coax him into bringing the book, that bearing on the fact that he remembers it, (As I said, he is a booze head and depressed). Sry.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This sounds exactly like the book/books off the movie "The Ninth Gate" with Johnny Depp.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
Why can't a grimoire be biased on a fictional book?

In fact because the whole mythos was created by a talented author, it just might work better than any of the "traditional" grimoires.

I don't know much about grimoires -- magic is a closed book to me. For all I know, a grimoire based on a fictional book (and what exactly do we mean by 'based on' here?) does work better than the traditional ones.

Who knows, a fictional grimoire based on a fictional book may work better still (and what exactly do we mean by 'work' here?)

Off-topic question: I know you're a student of the occult, so to speak, but it's clear from your responses on this thread and others I've seen that your approach to it is rather sophisticated; you seem to be trying to harness powers that you believe are inherent in human beings rather than in some external entity. Is this correct? Would you care to explain more about it? Do you have a thread going on ATS in which all is revealed?

I'm curious...

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Do you have a thread going on ATS in which all is revealed?

I'm curious...

Check out his threads...
You will probably find a lot this way, doubt if he has an online auto-biography, so reading may be slow as you pick through threads.

Peace

Dalen

Cug

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkham
When I can get to a scanner and try to coax him into bringing the book

No need to go that far. Really just a title will do.

I don't know much about grimoires -- magic is a closed book to me. For all I know, a grimoire based on a fictional book (and what exactly do we mean by 'based on' here?) does work better than the traditional ones.

Well think of a grimoire as a magick cookbook. If someone put out a Mary Poppins cookook with recipes for Mary's favorite snack after flying with an umbrella. Is that a fake snack?

Would you care to explain more about it? Do you have a thread going on ATS in which all is revealed?

Maybe later, I don't really have the time to get that deep into it right now. Like dAlen said dig up an older thread.

new topics

top topics

join