It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Special Forces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
As a student of military diplomacy. I am actually in the process of writing my dissertation on the United States Special Forces. From what I have read regarding Special Forces accross the world, and from talking to several ex operators, I have come to the conclusion that the British produce the most capable special forces units. I feel somewhat biased about writing this being English myself, but Special operations units like the SAS, SBS and 14th Intel (now SRR) are just unmatchable. The SAS do EVERTHING! most special forces units across the world train in one specific area. I.E the US Navy SEALs are primarily Maritime Counter Revolutionary Warfare and underwater demolitions. For example Just look how many units the Americans have to do the same job as the SAS!

Pending further comments about the Australian SAS, they are excellent, but once again they are not as capable as the British SAS, and seeing as the British SAS trained their Australian counterparts there are no prizes in conclusion to who is likely to be more professional on the battlefield (not to take anything away from the exception performance by the Australians in recent conflicts), but simply to say the British units have been doing this for nearly 60 years! Another critical point to put forward regarding the Australian SAS, is, as far as i'm aware, they don't deal in counter terror/hostage rescue operations. Obviously no one can deny the British SAS is the best for hostage rescue! Surely that is recognised across the world! The SAS practically inverted the idea! They developed most of the CQB techniques used by agancies such as SWAT and DELTA GSG-9 Italian NOCS et al. They have also developed weapons such as the "Fash-Bang" stun grenade used for room clearing.

I would also like to draw attention to the fact that the SBS undergo more enhanced training than the SAS. (However basic combat techniques are still developed by the SAS) Once completing the SAS training, SBS operators must complete extra training at Poole in Dorset. Most who join the SBS are recruited from the Royal Marine Commandos, and up until recently only ex Royal Marines could join the SBS. There are only a few notable Marine Commando Units accross the world worth even considering to be elite in their own right. The Royal Marines are without a doubt the top of their field, considering their 400+ year combat history, this is not at all surprising. In fact, they are indeed equal, and better than US Army Special forces combat wise, as both units share the Green Beret, which of course was awarded to the American Units in recognition of British RM Commandos during World War II. (Although the Green Beret are probably more capable as they are trained in hostage rescue, foreign language and counter insurgency).

From all the material I have collected and read, there is a rough top 5 order in country order as opposed to unit order. However, there really is no doubt that the SAS/SBS are the most elite units, one could sit and debate this all day, but just look at the combat experience and proven operational success, look at what each unit is capable of, and the limits of their training. I'm sure you will find the SAS/SBS on top. In the mean time I think the list of top country special forces would look something like this.

1.Great Britain- SAS/SBS/SRR
2.Australia- SAS/ et al
3.United States- SFOD-D, USA SF (green beret- dont call them that they get upset!), SEALs, Rangers etc
4. Germany units such as the Police GSG-9
5. Isreal- Sayeret and the goverment Moussad

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Just to correct, Aussie SAS do indeed do counter-terrorist work. And while the British SAS may have had a hand in the initial training of our SF, we have been running our own selection courses and training for quite a while now.

I'm not going to give an opinion on the best, as each force has their individual pluses and minuses. NZ SAS is also pretty good, you might want to consider them as well for your work. And if I recall correctly, Ranger's aren't by definition Special Forces. I could be wrong though. Hope this helps.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Too Goddamn right the Aussie SAS are the best!

. . . behind the Brits, of course . . . but our cricketers will take care of the Poms soon enough

I once heard someone say that when a group of U.S. Special Forces troops came down here to Aus they had to be helped through the assault course. Anyone back me up on that? It would be hilarious if it were true.

I was also under the impression that we were getting new weapons soon?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Regarding US Army Rangers- As far as I am aware, the Army Rangers are a Special operations Force, but no really Special Forces- That is what I was trying to say in my post! Sorry. Im sure 75th Ranger Regiment falls under USSOCOM.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Yep, they fall under the operational command of the SOC, but they are Special Operations Forces, not Special Forces. A subtle difference maybe. If I remember correctly, the book Blackhawk Down brought out some of the differences and animosities between the Delta and Ranger folk.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Im Aussie also and would concur the UK SAS are the best alround, you only have to look at that rescue in Aghanistan in about 2003 when the US special forces requested SAS to actually do the OP as they had done the number crunching senario's and couldn't perfom the successful retrieval of the hostages without heavy casualties. The British SAS not only recovered them without a casualty but inflicted huge losses to the Taliban. The Aussie SAS are not far behind them but our SAS specialty is clearance diving and for that role we are wolrds best bar none.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Huge difference in Spec. Ops and Spec. Forces.

As a Marine Sniper, I was Spec. Ops, technically, yet the Marines tend to keep their own in house so to speak.

There are also several units that were not mentioned.

Marine Force Recon, Air Force Para Rescue, and what ever name Delta is going by now.
Delta being a conglomerate of all the different forces.

SEALS, do FAR more than Maritime Operations now. That is a fact. I trained with them on several occasions in the Marines and later in Police Sniper School.

Also, though not Military, the FBI HRT Team is I believe ranked number 1 in the world in Hostage rescue.

Semper

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   

All Posters Read This!
Please could members refrain from starting threads that are based around:
what is your favourite gun
who would win if the ??? and ??? went to war with each other
who has the best army/navy/airforce/secret service........
etc etc ...
This forum is for information about Military weapons technology past, present, and future.

*closed*

top topics

join