It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Say TO Attempted Suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

A police report says Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide by taking pain medication. Owens reportedly put two more pills into his mouth even after fire rescue personnel arrived.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told rescue workers "that he was depressed." The report was first released by WFAA-TV.

The rescue worker "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

link

When someone is so dependent on and demonstrably proud of their physical prowess, and that prowess starts to fail them, as it eventually will, the results to the psyche can be devastating. Let's hope TO gets the help he needs to restore his faith in himself, faith beyond his physical ability.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I don't think it's about his physical prowess failing him since he's still one of the most finely conditioned athletes I've ever seen, I think it has more to do with how he's perceived. I think he tried to keep up with the image he had created when he was younger and now sees that he's not ever going to be able to shake it. I think he's tired of fighting himself. I don't think he likes the person he's become.

That being said, he also might have an addiction to pain killers which he felt he couldn't shake. That would be surprising to me because I would figure that NFL drug testing would have picked up on that problem a long time ago.

Peace

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Good points. He does have a larger than life image that is impossible to sustain.

I was referring to the string of injuries he's had lately. His body isn't holding up to the punishment of the game, no body could.

There was just an interview with Dallas PD on the news, and they were very tight-lipped about the incident, only saying that no criminal investigation was planned.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So ussuming that this is true, that he really did try to committ suicide, what does that mean for his career? Generally those that try to committ suicide are hospitalized for observation, and have to go through a pretty intense regimine of therapy.
What will the NFL do? Is he out for the season? Is his career over?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I have NO sympathy for the rich and famous. If he is depressed over his wonderful life then dump it and move on. yea it must be rough being wealthy and have everyone know you......whaaaa Poor baby !! suck it up like a man and carry on.

Does being rich and famous turn people into whining pussies ?? Yup..it sure does !

[edit on 27-9-2006 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Are ignorant comments like that needed?

I agree completely with the Love Doctor. He does not like the person he has become. Lets face it, TO could of had a legitimate injury in the preseason but due to his past it gets portrayed as more laziness. I see this as being a turning point in TO's career and we'll look back in 10 years at this moment and think this is when everything finally came together.

Regardless of the size of someones bank account, they are people and deal with the same problems we do. Since they have more money, why are their problems any easier? Just the standard nonsence that comes up when someone who has a few bucks has a real life problem.

Have abit of class and realize were all humans, and we all have to deal with our problems.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Are ignorant comments like that needed?

I agree completely with the Love Doctor. He does not like the person he has become. Lets face it, TO could of had a legitimate injury in the preseason but due to his past it gets portrayed as more laziness. I see this as being a turning point in TO's career and we'll look back in 10 years at this moment and think this is when everything finally came together. Regardless of the size of someones bank account, they are people and deal with the same problems we do. Since they have more money, why are their problems any easier? Just the standard nonsence that comes up when someone who has a few bucks has a real life problem.

Have abit of class and realize were all humans, and we all have to deal with our problems.

Why is my comment ignorant ?? I am sick of the rich and wealthy getting coddled to when things get tough....remember Kurt Cobain ?? that wimp could not deal with the fame so he blew his head off with a shotgun......and left his daughter without a father !! If the Rich and famous can't deal with it then quit and move on to a normal life and leave the fame for someone who CAN handle it.....if he does not like what he became then he should CHANGE and do something different. He is a football player and is supposed to be tough...so he should toughen up and take it (fame) like a man. He is the one who chose his career.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
And when you come across a psycological problem, are you called out on it and ridiculed?

NO! Your not. Because people have the decency to leave your business alone. Sure he's in the public eye, and will have his story told over and over again. But calling him a whining ****** is completely uncalled for, and complete ignorance on your part.

Seems like you have abit of jealousy to their lifestyle, and when you see someone waste it you lash out.

Kurt Cobaine committed suicide huh? Prove it. I don't care what the official story is, the fact is foul play can not be 100% ruled out on his death. The fact the gun was found so far away from his is always going to leave reasonable doubt.

Not the purpose of this thread though.

This threads purpose was to talk about the suicide attempt by Terrell Owens, and maybe the respectful would offer some condolences. Have you ever called out the resting soul in the casket at a funeral? Just asking though, feel free to say next question.

I know these people have life by the you know what. Money is of no concern to these people, but they do have alot of problems and its no position of ours to judge them on it.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Over the past few years, I have been less than impressed with Terrel Owens. Having said that, however, no one should have this sort of issue. Dr. Love hit it on the head. How could anyone like themselves when they've become the cliche of the worst in professional athletisism.

I wish him all the best.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I had a friend who was a former high school athlete and became addicted to painkillers through sports injuries.
I remember him getting a prescription of 30 pills and 24 hrs later he was down to 6-7 pills. So where did the other 23 pills go? Well sure he gave a couple here and there to friends but I'm assuming he took most of them. This guy wasn't very big either... 5'11" 160 lbs. Being that TO is much larger, perhaps he could take 30+ pills and survive. Football players get put through a lot of pain.... let's face it.... their job is quite physically demanding.
Maybe he took alot of pills because he had done it before but this time for whatever reason (lack of food or other supplements in his body) it really messed him up.
Whatever happened, he stopped into practice the next day and caught a few balls so I guess the hangover wasn't that bad!

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The Texas police said last night on the ESPN, that the suicide was a leaked rumor.

new topics

top topics

join