It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The legality of cannabis.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is an essay I'm writing for a class... I thought I'd share it to get peoples comments on what I'm discussing.

Marijuana. What do you think when you hear that word? A gateway drug or perhaps
something that all teens partake in to fit in and be "cool"? Maybe you think it's some vile weapon that corrupts people and makes them do bad things, such as shoot themselves in the head or run over little girls riding their tricycles? What if I said that was wrong and there was more to it than you ever though? I don't think anyone would believe me. Therefore, I present the thesis that people, culturally, historically, medically, and socially are dependent on drugs, primarily marijuana.

A drug that induces euphoria, such as marijuana, has been used since times long forgotten as ritual, medicine, consumer products, and leisure. However, in our times, it's brandished a "devil's plant." We're fed stories that if you take it you will shoot yourself in the head or kill someone else. But this is not true, it makes a person more calm and at peace. How could such a thing be branded a "devil's plant" when all it does is bring us closer to happiness. Therefore, I urge you to read on and see why throughout history we've been dependent on one of the world's most valuable "untouchable" resources.

Marijuana, well hemp really, has historically been used for many many purposes. Hemp is a strong, durable fiber that separates from the stem of a marijuana plant when the stem decays. ^1 People have made clothes, ropes, food, and hunting gear from hemp as early as 6,500 BC. ^2 Even today, if you go to any new age stores, you can buy hemp but now it's primarily used in the making of jewelry such as necklaces or bracelets. Paper, too, can be made from the plant. For instance, we would be able to produce ten times more paper from cannabis plants than we would with the trees in the world. The plants also grow a lot faster than trees, which would allow us, therefore, to produce more paper in shorter amounts of time without endangering the delicate ecosystems that certain animals live in, in order to acquire the product. The biggest argument I can make about uses for marijuana is that cannabis oil is able to be used as gasoline for a car. It is a renewable, abundant source of energy that companies refuse to harness because of the "bad" that is said about the plant. If we were to harness the oil in running cars, there would ultimately be a lot less exhaust pollution and it would be cheaper to buy as it is renewable and fast growing.

Onto the single most important use of marijuana, medicine. Marijuana has been used in medicine for thousand upon thousands of years. In ancient history, it was one of the most commonly used medicines, a panacea or "cure-all" *1. For example, the extract from a cannabis plant can be used in an effort to cure the following: multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, migraines, asthma, cancer, AIDS, and more. Within the extract, there are over sixty chemicals that can be used for medicinal purposes. *2 Oddly enough, if it is mixed with rubbing alcohol it can help reduce herpes outbreaks in those that have it. As we know today, marijuana is being used to help those with cancer, but those that have this "medicinal marijuana" will be arrested and charged with possession if found that they have it. Ironic isn't it? Even though there are people that are dependent on it, our government will not allow them to have it to help cure their horrid disease.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Smoking the herb. A term used by young adults and even older people every day. Marijuana is a psychoactive drug that induces feelings of euphoria and total relaxation. It is smoked in quantities enough to induce this euphoria, which differs from person to person. In smoking it, one becomes more attentive, focused, and calm. I know this for a fact, as I stated earlier, I smoked before school and during school I was able to focus on my work a lot more. People also smoke it to relieve stress and help escape from dealing with problems, insomuch that it lifts the stress even for a little while.

Of course, people will still argue that marijuana is evil and should be banned everywhere but this is life. However, one cannot argue that historically, culturally, medically, and socially, that marijuana has always been a positive gift of nature to people and we have depended on it for as long as history goes back. Therefore, in the end I believe I have proved my thesis correct. But I leave one with the question, how can a plant that does so much good for society be banned across the world?

www.walnet.org... ^1 ^2

www.studyworld.com... *1 *2

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   

how can a plant that does so much good for society be banned across the world?

ive never seen it do 'so much good'....sure i agree it can assist in relief from artharitic conditions and some stress like you mentioned..

but....

i have friends that have been turned into recks by the stuff; granted after many years of participation in large quantatties, paranoia, emotional imbalance, short term memory loss, respiratory problems to name only a few of the side effects.

As long as they can measure wether a persons being taking it at the road side then fine..legalize it and put up big penaltys like drink driving for offenders of miss use.

Id like to see all those scally 'penny drug dealers' put out of buisness by making it freely available in the shops.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett

how can a plant that does so much good for society be banned across the world?

ive never seen it do 'so much good'....sure i agree it can assist in relief from artharitic conditions and some stress like you mentioned..

but....

i have friends that have been turned into recks by the stuff; granted after many years of participation in large quantatties, paranoia, emotional imbalance, short term memory loss, respiratory problems to name only a few of the side effects.

As long as they can measure wether a persons being taking it at the road side then fine..legalize it and put up big penaltys like drink driving for offenders of miss use.

Id like to see all those scally 'penny drug dealers' put out of buisness by making it freely available in the shops.

I've seen more people turned into wrecks by ciggarettes and alcohol than marijuana ever has. You can't argue that alcohol is a far more destructive drug and has far worse effects in the long run. Whereas, out of every case of a person under the influence who has gotten into accidents has almost always had high levels of alcohol in them as well.

The only way 'penny drug dealers' will ever be put out of business is if coc aine, heroine, methamphetamines, acid, etc are all legalized. There will always be a demand for drugs that will probably never be legal and thhese men will continue to thrive and prosper.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You mention that MJ has been used to "cure" MS, epilepsy, etc. I've never known it to actually cure anything except glaucoma. Do you mean that they help the sick person deal more comfortably with their illness such as using MJ for the nausea that comes with cancer treatments? Or is their research that it has actually cured something?

And I agree, alcohol and cigarettes are far worse drugs. There are no withdrawal symptoms and no side effects. It has been used medicinally by indigenous Mexican curanderos (healers) for an extremely long time. And, lately, there is some evidence that MJ may prevent Alzheimer's.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
You mention that MJ has been used to "cure" MS, epilepsy, etc. I've never known it to actually cure anything except glaucoma. Do you mean that they help the sick person deal more comfortably with their illness such as using MJ for the nausea that comes with cancer treatments? Or is their research that it has actually cured something?

And I agree, alcohol and cigarettes are far worse drugs. There are no withdrawal symptoms and no side effects. It has been used medicinally by indigenous Mexican curanderos (healers) for an extremely long time. And, lately, there is some evidence that MJ may prevent Alzheimer's.

In ancient times, it was believed to be a panacea. I never said that it was smoked to help relieve these diseases. It has somewhere over 60 chemicals in it, that if extracted from the plant can help with curing.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Also MJ does NOT cause cancer.... no link to cancer... so it being bad for the resperatory system is crap...

Also.. more people have died in any one given day from alcohol poisoning(let alone drunk driving) than have died in all of recorded history from pot.

NOONE has EVER died from pot....ever!

It makes you paranoid?... sure, if your talking about getting arrested.

Cannibinoids have been proven to actually help regrow brain cells.
It helps as a mild pain killer
It helps stim ulate appetites especially for people on Chemotherapy
it cures glaucoma
it helps with asthma(opens up the blood cells for more oxygen)
it helps treat stress
can help aid in the treatment of certain psychological illnesses

I can get sources to back up everything I say on this subject and already have on multiple other threads here.
So if anyone wishes to dispute what I say; we can battle it out in a one on one debate.

Weed was made illegal through lies and deceptionsa and racism... started by one Henry Anslinger(americas first Drug Czar) with alot of help and backing from companies such as dupont(wood- and chemical fibers). Even though this has been proven without any doubt.. the weed stays illegal. It has been proven that is is actually beneficial to your health.. and yet it stays illegal.... Big Pharma is trying to make a synthetic alternative.. yet it stays illegal.

700,000 people sit in jails and prisons all over this nation. Yet our last 2 presidents have both admitted to smoking pot. Every 41 seconds someone is arrested in this nation for possession of pot.

Pot's illegality is a disgusting assault on some of our most basic freedoms... the ability to govern our own bodies. That is something that no government in the world should be able to dictate to us as "free" individuals. How free are we when we are told everything that we can and cannot do to our own bodies? Who has that right? None but yourself thats who.

That doesnt mean that you are no responsible for your actions while "high" on pot. There needs to be responsibility with use. But isnt that the way it is with everything? When we stop taking responsibility for ourselves.. we in turn leave it for others(or govts.) to do it for us. And look where it has gotten us. The highest incarceration rate in the world... andyes that includes China , Iran, N.Korea, and every other non "free" nation.

70 years we have been fighting and losing the war on drugs. How many more years are we going to battle it and lose before we finally admit that this is an unwinnable war.. and we are locking up our freinds and family members... for a PLANT!!!!!!..

God bless the hypocritical states of slumerica... where you are free to be poisoned by FDA approved drugs and food.. but are not allowed to "poison " yourself... Not that smoking pot is poisonous. but you see my point.

sorry to ramble but this is one topic that really gets to my core.

"Legalize it... dont criticize it"- Peter Tosh

the problem is that our govt. has lied sooo long and soo hard about pot.. it is nearly impossible for them to go back on it now. They first say it causes violence and criminal activity. Now they are doing a 180 ad say it makes you lazy and unmotivated... Fact is they cant get it right.. they cant determine what lie to tell you next in order to keep this criminal operation afloat. Because, yes, its a criminal operation... that has 700,000 people in prison.. making big money for the industrial prison goods market (and, yes, I can show you the website where to buy this stuff)

how abot some links for you... maybe it will help with your research.
I will highlight some of the other threads on ATS that I have contributed a TON of this information that I have illustrated here on this thread.(if you read those thread you will see I have becked up every claim I have made on this thread)

1.) truth about marijuana
2.) Why the emphasis on marijuana
3.) right to grow cannibis

I have done tons of research on this particular subject... detailed in the above threads is some of that research... highly suggested reading if you really want to know more about marijuana. Ity is one of my missions to bring the truth out about Mary J in the hopes that we can end this dispicable war against our own citizenry. and free up our prisons for real crime.

thanks for your time,
TONE23

[edit on 9/24/2006 by TONE23]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAnt
In ancient times, it was believed to be a panacea. I never said that it was smoked to help relieve these diseases. It has somewhere over 60 chemicals in it, that if extracted from the plant can help with curing.

OK, I'm confused. MJ IS smoked to help relieve the suffering of some illnesses, that is a fact. Are you saying it doesn't? ANd I will certainly agree that it is a "panacea", it's good for a whole lot of things. But can you provide sources for your claims of curing? I'm not trying to be rude, I try to be as informed as I can about the medical MJ issue, I think it's important. But I do like to be careful in what/who I'm quoting, so references are very helpful. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
the only thing it actually "cures" that I know of forest lady is Glaucoma.

with everything else it is a treatment.

other things marijuana helps treat are:

epilepsy
turrettes
headaches
nausea
easing pain in childbirth
asthma

Not for anything, but even if it had no medicinal value...like alcohol. It should STILL be legal.. because it is our own choice to administer whatever the hell we want into our own bodies... but we must remember that it is no excuse for any illegal activities done while intoxicated.

the problem with posting sources for some of this stuff is that the official medical journals are altered to take away any benefits that the MJ has. You can all thank big Pharma for that. so when posting source material it is not going to be from official govt. or medical sites... alot of the good information is coming from universities. thats where you will find most of your undoctored science on this issue.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady

OK, I'm confused. MJ IS smoked to help relieve the suffering of some illnesses, that is a fact. Are you saying it doesn't? ANd I will certainly agree that it is a "panacea", it's good for a whole lot of things. But can you provide sources for your claims of curing? I'm not trying to be rude, I try to be as informed as I can about the medical MJ issue, I think it's important. But I do like to be careful in what/who I'm quoting, so references are very helpful. Thank you.

It is smoked to hhelp relieve pain and suffering. But if the chemicals in it are extracted from the plant, it can be used as different forms of medicine to help treat the diseases I listed. For my sources, I've inlcuded thhem right in my essay. I believe you'll need to check the second one.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TONE23
Also MJ does NOT cause cancer.... no link to cancer... so it being bad for the resperatory system is crap...

So inhaling smoke is good for the respiratory system? No links to cancer?

You all make great points in the defense of Marijuana. But your biggest flaw is the fact you can not admit to the problems to the drug and try to outweight them by the so called Pro's.

Smoking any substance- tobacco, marijuana, or "crack," a smokable form of coc aine-increases a smoker's risk of developing bacterial pneumonia and other infections of the lungs, according to the findings of drug abuse, smoking and health, and AIDS researchers.

Although some drugs seem to have specific damaging effects when smoked, smoking anything appears to damage or paralyze the cilia, the hair-like projections in the lungs that sweep out microbes and other matter that can cause disease, according to NIDA-funded studies. Damaging the lung's cilia, the respiratory system's first line of defense, can have severe consequences for people with weak immune systems, the studies note.

www.nida.nih.gov...

and of the same link...

The researchers found that smoking either marijuana or tobacco produces significant damage to the cilia in the lining of the airways. Among smokers of both marijuana and tobacco, it appears that the effects of marijuana add to the effects of tobacco, and vice versa. "The damage to the ciliated cells in the lining of the airways caused by smoking tobacco, and/or marijuana weakens the ability of the lungs to remove inhaled particles, making the lungs more vulnerable to infection," says Dr. Tashkin.

Cocaine smokers had fewer significant abnormalities than marijuana or tobacco smokers did- but more abnormalities than were detected among nonsmokers, Dr. Tashkin says. Among people who smoke both tobacco and coc aine, coc aine smoking appears to produce injury to the mucosal lining of the airways beyond that caused by smoking tobacco alone.

So it can be proven that inhaling ANY form of smoke is certainly detrimental to your health and respiratory system. Do I need to discuss the importance of the cilia in the lungs?

NOONE has EVER died from pot....ever!

Noone has ever smoked a doob and got in a car accident? I'll save myself the time and energy of producing facts surrounding motor vehicle accidents involving drivers who were under the influence of Marijuana.

I can get sources to back up everything I say on this subject and already have on multiple other threads here.

Which is why you are a great member of ATS and the reasoning why I am willing to battle it out with you on a subject that has no answer.

I will call you out on one thing. You often talk about the CIA, DEA, etc. and their involvement in the drug trade. The importing of drugs so they can prosper and whatnot. Provide some support to these claims.

We do not want to read something that Joe Shmo has typed on the internet. Something with some credentials.

Marijuana can be beneficial in two ways. To help with pain on cancer patients and to help the victims of Glaucoma. Nothing else, to proclaim it has is to knowingly post false information.

Why do we believe that legalizing Marijuana is the path to take? If anything, decriminalization is the path. Members are screaming how they are sick and tired of filling our prison systems with these innocent people.

Well someone who is busted with a small amount of marijuana is the victim. They recieve a criminal record for something so miniscule, and are affected for years to come. If your busted with large amounts you could be charged, busted for dealing you could find a bigger fine.

I know PLENTY of people who have been busted on drug related charges. Possession, Dealing, Intent to Deal, etc. None of them have done a night in prison, but all have seen some heavy fines. If anyone is doing in time for a Marijuana related offense, they must of had an awful amount in their pocket.

edit: fixing the coding

[edit on 24-9-2006 by chissler]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Noone has ever smoked a doob and got in a car accident? I'll save myself the time and energy of producing facts surrounding motor vehicle accidents involving drivers who were under the influence of Marijuana.

Did your facts happen to say if they were also intoxicated under alcohol? MJ makes a person more focused and attentive, so I really don't see how they could get in a car accident under thhe influence. Now if alcohol was mixed into the equation, which I'm almost positive it is, then thats where the problem arises. I'm sure that most statistics, especially if from government and agencies that want thhe plant to stay illegal will always leave out thhis fact of the amount of alcohol in the system as well.

On another note, I've got some stuff to take care of and this was all I was able to bring up, I'll be back later for more discussion.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

MJ makes a person more focused and attentive, so I really don't see how they could get in a car accident under thhe influence.

Lets have a second look at this.

From a Scholarly Journal:

Central effects of cannabinoids include disruption of psychomotor behaviour, short-term memory impairment, intoxication, stimulation of appetite, antinociceptive actions (particularly against pain of neuropathic origin) and anti-emetic effects.

brain.oxfordjournals.org...

Bolding added by chissler for emphasis

Short-Term Memory Loss?

Any idea why? They are not aware whats going on around them! Focused? No! Intense? Yes!

People who are under the influence of THC are perceiving everything in a different manner. It's acting like a hit of '___' would. Were watching the same channel, but if your on THC your simply watching a completely different show.

It is scientifically proven that the inhalation of THC is going to alter your perception almost immediately. Thus causing impairment, under the influence, whatever you want to call it.

Effects on the Brain

Scientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to organs throughout the body, including the brain.

In the brain, THC connects to specific sites called cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement4.

The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana abuse indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system5 and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine6. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

www.nida.nih.gov...

So now your going to tell me, yeah but it only enhances all those things. Keep telling yourself that.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
good to see you in here chissler. theres alot to cover so lets see if we can break it down.

[
So inhaling smoke is good for the respiratory system? No links to cancer?

actually ingesting marijuana(eating) is good for the respiratory system(I should have been more precise.... sorry.
and the is no links to cancer...even long term. see below:

no link to lung cancer

U.S. study sees no marijuana link to lung cancer
Baby-boomer research results surprise doctors expecting to find connection

LOS ANGELES - Marijuana smoking does not increase a person's risk of developing lung cancer, according to the findings of a new study at the University of California Los Angeles that surprised even the researchers.

They had expected to find that a history of heavy marijuana use, like cigarette smoking, would increase the risk of cancer.

Instead, the study, which compared the lifestyles of 611 Los Angeles County lung cancer patients and 601 patients with head and neck cancers with those of 1,040 people without cancer, found no elevated cancer risk for even the heaviest pot smokers. It did find a 20-fold increased risk of lung cancer in people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

source: msnbc.com

original quote by:chissler
You all make great points in the defense of Marijuana. But your biggest flaw is the fact you can not admit to the problems to the drug and try to outweight them by the so called Pro's.

The flaw is that there is not much of a downside to smoking pot. not anymore than drinking coffee, smoking cigs, drinking alcohol. Sure not everyone is prepared to deal with the responsibility of using it with discretion. But a good portion of those people who abuse drugs abuse alot of other things in their lives as well. It comes down to self responsibility.

roginal quote by: chissler
So it can be proven that inhaling ANY form of smoke is certainly detrimental to your health and respiratory system. Do I need to discuss the importance of the cilia in the lungs?

no you do not... and yes ANY smoke can damage the cilia. I will yield that point to you sir.

original quote by: chissler

sure but people get in accident severyday while not under any influence. My arguement was a direct death caused by pot... not by an accident while on it. People have accidents whether they are High or not. My example was that people die from alcohol poisoning.. but it is impossible to OD on pot.

Which is why you are a great member of ATS and the reasoning why I am willing to battle it out with you on a subject that has no answer.

oh theres an answer... its called legalize the weed.. stop putting 100's of thousands of people in jail... and end this hypocrisy.

I will call you out on one thing. You often talk about the CIA, DEA, etc. and their involvement in the drug trade. The importing of drugs so they can prosper and whatnot. Provide some support to these claims.

This is centered more around the coke and heroin trade. as far as citing sources... there is no shortage of material to substantiate my claims. just look into the French Connection.. that is more than enough to get you started. Also there are a ton and I mean a ton of good threads on ATS that has illustrated some of the shady goings on in our agencies(pertaining to drugs). Agreat thread is "5 ton coke coke bust".. you know the one about tom delay's/CIA's plane. Also.. on a personal note.. my father was involved in organized drugs when I was growing up... Isaw with my own eyes some of the people that were involved.. and yes some of them were military and agency people. read my thread in RATS...to learn more about that.
the thread is titled:

My experience with organized crime and conspiracy

Some people talk about it.. some people think they understand it... But I lived it...And there is no source in the world that can undo what I have lived through.

We do not want to read something that Joe Shmo has typed on the internet. Something with some credentials.

Like I said; look into the french connection.. it is all documented fact. Also you might want to look into the Iran-Contra affair..again documented fact.

Marijuana can be beneficial in two ways. To help with pain on cancer patients and to help the victims of Glaucoma. Nothing else, to proclaim it has is to knowingly post false information.

not necc. true... It is coming to light that cannibinoids can help regrow brain cells.. which could help cure alzhiemers(sp?). It also cites that it helps treat depression and anxiety.

pot regrows brain cells

Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain
22:00 13 October 2005
NewScientist.com news service
Kurt Kleiner

A synthetic chemical similar to the active ingredient in marijuana makes new cells grow in rat brains. What is more, in rats this cell growth appears to be linked with reducing anxiety and depression. The results suggest that marijuana, or its derivatives, could actually be good for the brain.

In mammals, new nerve cells are constantly being produced in a part of the brain called the hippocampus, which is associated with learning, memory, anxiety and depression. Other recreational drugs, such as alcohol, nicotine and coc aine, have been shown to suppress this new growth. Xia Zhang of the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada, and colleagues decided to see what effects a synthetic cannabinoid called HU210 had on rats' brains.

source: newscientist.com

Why do we believe that legalizing Marijuana is the path to take? If anything, decriminalization is the path. Members are screaming how they are sick and tired of filling our prison systems with these innocent people.

no decriminialization is not the way to go... why should the govt. still financially capitalize on something that is everyones god given rights... self governance over what we administer into our bodies. legalization is the way to go.. because 70 years have proven that illegalization is NOT winning.

Well someone who is busted with a small amount of marijuana is the victim. They recieve a criminal record for something so miniscule, and are affected for years to come. If your busted with large amounts you could be charged, busted for dealing you could find a bigger fine.

thank you... you have helped explain exactly the BS that makes this a problem. Why should someone who smokes a joint in the privacy of their home.. or grow a plant for personal use; have to have a criminal record that follows them for years? its disgusting and a violation of our Fourth Amendment rights... to be "secure in our papers possessions and effects"

I know PLENTY of people who have been busted on drug related charges. Possession, Dealing, Intent to Deal, etc. None of them have done a night in prison, but all have seen some heavy fines. If anyone is doing in time for a Marijuana related offense, they must of had an awful amount in their pocket.

I know plenty of people that did go to jail and a couple of them had minimal amounts on their person. It depends on where you live and the level of enforcement in that particular jurisdiction. But make no mistake there ARE 700,000 plus people in jails and prisons for possession alone in America.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response,

Tone23

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Did your facts happen to say if they were also intoxicated under alcohol? MJ makes a person more focused and attentive, so I really don't see how they could get in a car accident under thhe influence. Now if alcohol was mixed into the equation, which I'm almost positive it is, then thats where the problem arises. I'm sure that most statistics, especially if from government and agencies that want thhe plant to stay illegal will always leave out thhis fact of the amount of alcohol in the system as well.

while I am a major proponent of the legalization effort... I will never support drving or operating any machinery while under the influence...for some people it may help with focus and attention... but for alot of people it makes them silly and less inhibited. I will have to agree with chissler on this point... in that; it does not neccisarily help with focus and attention for a good portion of people that use it. But yes there are exceptions to every rule.

side note
so far this thread is going great.. I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that posts in this thread to adhere to the ATS T&C

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of any illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia, hacking, etc. are strictly forbidden.

not that anyone has violated it yet in this thread.. but these MJ threads always seem to degenerate into a personal account of how they feel while smoking pot. I just wanted to make sure that anyone that posts in this thread is aware of this rule before they post... I do not wish to see this thread close.. so lets all just keep this in mind....Like I said noone has broken T&C yet in this thread .. but I just want to keep it that way....

thanks for your time.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

side note
so far this thread is going great.. I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that posts in this thread to adhere to the ATS T&C

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of any illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia, hacking, etc. are strictly forbidden.

not that anyone has violated it yet in this thread.. but these MJ threads always seem to degenerate into a personal account of how they feel while smoking pot. I just wanted to make sure that anyone that posts in this thread is aware of this rule before they post... I do not wish to see this thread close.. so lets all just keep this in mind....Like I said noone has broken T&C yet in this thread .. but I just want to keep it that way....

thanks for your time.

Yup, I'm workin on stickin just to facts and not use and such. I'll have something for later tonite, as I've still got a bunch of work to do.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I can't really add anything factually to this but from personal experience cannabis can be harmful. For about the first year or so of smoking it I was fine, and then after that I became extremely paranoid about everything and became extremely nervous and anti-social (something I never fully recovered from). Eventually I kicked it to the curb and although I miss the good things about it it's not worth the bad.

However, I have friends who have smoked it for years and they don't operate any differently to when they're off it, it just relaxes them. I guess this means its effects are pretty much down to the individuals state of mind, a bit like alcohol.

Regardless of the bad effects I think it should be legalized (but I think this for every single illegal drug). The profits from it should be spent on creating awareness of its bad effects, creating centres e.t.c. and providing help for people who need to get off it.

If people want to smoke cannabis (or any other drug) let them, but don't say they weren't warned of the results.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
However, I have friends who have smoked it for years and they don't operate any differently to when they're off it, it just relaxes them. I guess this means its effects are pretty much down to the individuals state of mind, a bit like alcohol.

Well it is a bit like alcohol, but it is not based on their state of mind.

Its called Tolerance.

Repeated use of MJ is going to build up a tolerance. If they continue to use the same amount of the drug, its going to have a very little effect on them. So this should not be used as an example to minimize the effects of MJ, but it should be used to understand the tolerance our body can build.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Well it is a bit like alcohol, but it is not based on their state of mind.

Its called Tolerance.

Repeated use of MJ is going to build up a tolerance. If they continue to use the same amount of the drug, its going to have a very little effect on them. So this should not be used as an example to minimize the effects of MJ, but it should be used to understand the tolerance our body can build.

I agree to an extent, but you build a tolerance to the amount it takes for the cannabis to work its magic on you, not a tolerance to bad effects you may suffer from it. If you could build a tolerance to that I doubt I would've stopped smoking in the first place. However people I know never had the bad effects and I doubt they ever will no matter how much they smoke.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
as far as tolorance goes....

I think this is something that has to be taken on a case by case basis.
Sure there is a genereal rule that the more you do something the more resistance you are going to develope. But in the case of pot..... nope

the amount needed completely depends on the quality of the pot... its potency... if you will.

It is impossible for me to illustrate just how I know this.. without violating the T&C... so I am not sure I can really back it up.. with documentation.
but If I can find anything on this..I will.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join