It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Continues State of National Emergency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The President announced today, his intention to continue the National State of Emergency with Respect to Terrorism'

On September 23, 2001, by Executive Order 13224, I declared a national emergency with respect to persons who commit, threaten to commit, or support terrorism, pursuant to the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701-1706). I took this action to deal with the unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States constituted by the grave acts of terrorism and threats of terrorism committed by foreign terrorists, including the terrorist attacks in New York, in Pennsylvania, and against the Pentagon of September 11, 2001, and the continuing and immediate threat of further attacks against United States nationals or the United States. Because the actions of these persons who commit, threaten to commit, or support terrorism continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the United States, the national emergency declared on September 23, 2001, and the measures adopted on that date to deal with that emergency, must continue in effect beyond September 23, 2006. Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency with respect to persons who commit, threaten to commit, or support terrorism.

This notice shall be published in the Federal Register and transmitted to the Congress. www.whitehouse.gov...

Is this a legitimate action or a play for continued power?

Is there currently significant cause to warrant those exclusive powers be continued?

Semper

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Uncanny.. I,ve been saying this for about 8 months now..

I genuinely believe that an ''act of terrorism'' will occur imminently..

Ramadan is beginning over here.
Threats have been announced.
A cause(Iran) has been specified.
Numerous ''plots'' have been ''foiled''

I will be very suprised if action is not commenced within the next month and GWB has not
a)Postponed the elections to a more (secure) timeline

or more sensationally

b)declared a state of martial law in the US.

I,d be happy to be declared COMPLETELY wrong and invite people to jump up and down,hurl ridicule and call me DEIDRE for the rest of my days

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The problem with the president state of national emergency is that it will maintain his executives powers in as a president under war.

So far we have seen what President Bush has done with those powers and what he has intended to do with them.

I am glad that the congress is waking up and taking responsibility to limit those powers or at least make sure that we the people are protected from the presidents intentions.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the post.

I believe that there must be some reason, other than ego, that Bush did this.

A national state of emergancy probably gives the president powers to act quickly without consent of congress in the event of some "without warning event".

I agree that he could and probably would postpone the elections.

It is damn unfortunate that we cannot do anything about what we see happening before our eyes.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The "Special" powers granted to him by Congress, therefor us???, definitely tie the hands on the "People" in situations like this.

Semper

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
In 1994 Clinton declared America to be in a State of Emergency. As far as I know, he never lifted it. (I could be wrong on that .. but I didn't see any official lifting)

www.cuttingedge.org...

Non-democrats thought that Clinton would use his declaration to stay in power, to take over, and to use the military to establish a martial law. I was one of those keeping a close eye on it because, after taking one look at Hillary's ambitions, I too thought it was possible.

The State of Emergency continued .. but Clinton didn't take over. It didn't happen then and it won't happen now. IMHO

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Hey FF

Does that carry over???

I am not one of the conspiracy buffs that believe President Bush is the next dictator. Just don't like to much power in the hands of the Feds.

Semper

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Everytime i hear a passing police siren or an ambulence I think about how dangerous these terrorists in the white house really are

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Just don't like to much power in the hands of the Feds.

Amen to that.

I subscribe much more to the Jeffersonian vision of the Federal Government than the Hamiltonian version now expanding before us. The real problem for me is they don't seem satisfied with the powers they already have, and are constantly trying to legislate or decree more. Where does it end for we, the "People"? Not just with our "hands tied", but in some kind of Abu Ghraib pose?

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
No one has yet seen the power this government is shooting for.....

It will be the icing on the cake. For starters, i'm one who believes Bush will be the American dictator for years to come. There will be no elections.

I could be wrong, but i still put my money on this one.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I am afraid that in modern society, our Government has learned to not fear the people.

That is a bad omen for things to come.

I believe that President Regan was the last President to believe in that philosophy.

Semper

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The people fear the government. What ever happened to the government working for the people???
Things are nuts and nobody does anything about it- it takes morons like Chavez to come here and tell it like it really IS....someone without an education, a goober, but calls em as he sees em. A communist.

What the hell has happened to this country?

Talk about a mad mad world.....

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Well now DG,

I am not going to go out on that limb with you!!!

Your on your own there.

Chavez said nothing that made any sense to me. Seemed to me, he was simply concerned with throwing as much criticism toward Bush as he could. No real substance that I could see.

Semper

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Ohhhh, he made sense alright.

That's a different thread, i agree.

George W. will reign forever. I hope i die young.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well DG

I for one hope you don't, I like you..

And I would suppose it's is not as bad as you think.

But we will see

Semper

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Does that carry over???

I'm pretty sure it does. I could be wrong .. but I'm pretty sure Clintons executive order for the National State of Emergency is still in place.

Even if it isn't ... the fact is that he issued one and eveyrone was all uptight (including myself) that he was going to use it to put himself and Hillary in as co-dictators under marshal law.

It didn't happen. I don't see Bush being able to pull it off. But if Hillary gets in for 2008 I will once again be concerned about it.

Guess it's just my nature ..

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally Posted By FlyersFanIt didn't happen. I don't see Bush being able to pull it off. But if Hillary gets in for 2008 I will once again be concerned about it.

Maybe Bubba's use of the State of Emergency was to prep people to get used to it, especially when it faded out of the public airwaves, then Bush came in and this was just a prep phase for Hillary next?

As I've always said, Clinton was an apple that fell very closely from the Bush Tree. I still think they're in cahoots, and I am 100% against Hillary for Pres, in '08. Conspiracy theorists need to remember that just how they didn't like a son of another president coming up in such a short time frame, the wife of a president would mean that we have been "ruled" over by two families for over 20 years. That is not a good thing.

I refuse to be ruled by a woman with bad hair.

*Edit - Correction. When Bush leaves office it will have been 20 years of two families. Hillary would begin the 21st. I haven't had my coffee bear with me.

[edit on 9/26/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Can you IMAGINE!!!!

Two families controlling the most powerful country our entire lifetime....!!!!

I hope the public wakes up in time.

Semper

new topics

top topics

join