It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide sales spike

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Okay, this is oringinal reporting, and I'm very reticent to draw conclusions to this.

I just spoke with the President of Anbex Inc., one of the three FDA approved makers of Potassium Iodide in the U.S. Potassium Iodide (KI), of course, is the pill that protects the thyroid from one form of radiation, and ultimately from thyroid cancer. It's the best protection to have if you are in an exposed area and are fleeing. It does not protect against the most deadly form of nuke radiation, gamma bursts, the radiation attributed to the horror images of deteriorating victims.

The spike in sales have come in individual purchases over the past two weeks, mainly fueled by online sales. While he wouldn't disclose exact numbers, Anbex has doubled its business during that time.

Ultimately he's not positive why he's seen the spike in sales. He speculates it may have been fueled by the recent unsubstantiated blog report about illegals with KI pills being arrested by border agents, driving speculation that there is to be a nuclear attack on U.S. soil.

I am writing an article about this, so look for the full story soon. I just thought this tidbit was perplexing enough to warrant an ATS alert......

[edit on 19-9-2006 by behindthescenes]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Great discovery, though I wouldn't say it is suggesting anything other than that people are apparently taking precautionary measures; that's not strange since there are so many nuclear drills lately.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Great discovery, though I wouldn't say it is suggesting anything other than that people are apparently taking precautionary measures; that's not strange since there are so many nuclear drills lately.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by Mdv2]

Don't dismiss it though. Remember the put options placed on Boeing, American Airlines, and United Airlines stock shortly before 9/11. These things are important to watch for too. Good find!

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It's true that it could be reaction overall. But I'm wary of any "spike" in activity related to anything that can be potentially related to an attack.

In this case though, the government isn't the reason for the purchase spike. They are buying KI from them, but at prearranged levels. This is due to increased demand from private buyers.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I thought KI was supposed to inhibit the thyroid absorbing the radation, and not the prostate. I would be more worried about my thyroid than having an enlarged prostate

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Oops....I had a brain fart there briefly.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Potassium iodide ( KI) works only to prevent the thyroid from uptaking radioactive iodine. It is not a general radioprotective agent.

www.fda.gov...&A.htm

Anbex is the primary supplier of the US gov't.

the site looks pretty cheesy and kinda fake if you ask me.

www.anbex.com

I would normally claim some kind of phony scam to pump up stock prices but I found some articles detailing Alan Morris's company and, to be honest, I don't know the original poster so I wouldn't want to make that claim.

How is old Alan doing these days? Must be enjoying the good run on pills.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by Crakeur]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
So... where can we buy these pills? I'm sure the politicians are all stocked up, but I'm not waiting around for FEMA to hand them out two weeks after they could do any good. Does the company have a website?

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Hope it's not the Jewish people that got the intel again and they being the ones buying.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Thanks for that Crakeur. It turns out there are two other products (even though Anbex claim to be the only FDA approved product):

* Anbex, Inc. for Iosat Tablets (130 mg) at 212-580-2810 (M-F 9am-5pm), at 1-866-463-6754 (other times), or via Internet www.anbex.com.... [external link]

* Recip for ThyroSafe Tablets (65 mg) at 1-866-849-7672 or via the Internet www.thyrosafe.com... [external link]

* Fleming & Company, Pharmaceuticals for ThyroShield Solution at 636-343-8200 or via the Internet www.flemingcompany.com... [external link], or www.thyroshield.com... [external link]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
Potassium iodide ( KI) works only to prevent the thyroid from uptaking radioactive iodine. It is not a general radioprotective agent.

www.fda.gov...&A.htm

Anbex is the primary supplier of the US gov't.

the site looks pretty cheesy and kinda fake if you ask me.

www.anbex.com

I would normally claim some kind of phony scam to pump up stock prices but I found some articles detailing Alan Morris's company and, to be honest, I don't know the original poster so I wouldn't want to make that claim.

How is old Alan doing these days? Must be enjoying the good run on pills.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by Crakeur]

I can assure you Crakeur that I, being the original poster, am a professional freelance journalist with lots of news clips to back me up. I'm not trying to pump up the company.

I simply was curious to see if all this talk of a potential nuke terrorist attack was affecting sales of KI. It turns out it is, based on my interview with Alan.

Like others said, I wouldn't immediately draw sinister conclusions about the sales (i.e., they harbinger an impending attack), but it's something to note so in the event something does happen, we can raise this as an issue with whatever insert-infamous-date-here commission is convened to investigate the attack, who in turn can ignore the evidence.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
behindthescenes

Good stuff. By the way, Army Surplus stores often keep KI tablets on hand, since survivalists often buy them (at least, here in San Angelo they do).

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lanotom
Hope it's not the Jewish people that got the intel again and they being the ones buying.

yup, I got my memo this morning. It read:

get your bagels and lox and potassium Iodide pills. By the way, we're also making a killing on the sale of these things. We secretly own the top three manufacturers. It's all part of our big jewish world domination plot.

sorry to the rest of the board for the diversion but ignorance is something I cannot always ignore.

Behindthescenes, I didn't mean to imply you were directly behind something like this and, as I said, I did find enough info in a short while to indicate that the company itself is for real. Now, who's to say the company and it's competitors aren't behind the nuke fears of late? I am not crying foul, merely pointing out the opportunities available.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
How many sales constitutes a "spike"?

In fact, what's the company's average sales and on what other occasions did they see sudden buying spikes?

I'm basically just curious here... there's bound to be more data than what you have told us.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
on a serious note....there is a great personal radation detector out there...google raddetect.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
How many sales constitutes a "spike"?

In fact, what's the company's average sales and on what other occasions did they see sudden buying spikes?

I'm basically just curious here... there's bound to be more data than what you have told us.

Here's where we get into a gray area: Anbex is a private company, so they don't have to disclose those figures.

But you can kinda get a roundabout figure by looking at the appropriations for KI with the Dept. of Health and Human Services. This will only give us a glimpse at the public purchasing with the 3 KI suppliers, but it can also indicate a number.

Again, this will be part of my overall article.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
When you spoke to Mr. Morris, did he indicate the spike coming solely from the internet and was it prior to 9/11 or is it still happening. It wouldn't surprise me to see people buying pills out of fears of an anniversary attack. Another interesting breakdown would be to see where the bulk of the buyers are. I'm guessing they are mostly away from the city or cities that we know are real targets. (NYC, LA etc). Always the ones farthest from harm that seem to be the most worried and, therefore, the most cautious.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
When you spoke to Mr. Morris, did he indicate the spike coming solely from the internet and was it prior to 9/11 or is it still happening. It wouldn't surprise me to see people buying pills out of fears of an anniversary attack. Another interesting breakdown would be to see where the bulk of the buyers are. I'm guessing they are mostly away from the city or cities that we know are real targets. (NYC, LA etc). Always the ones farthest from harm that seem to be the most worried and, therefore, the most cautious.

The spike has been during the past 2 weeks only. So this is very recent. As for location of buyers, he said he was so curious as to why this was happening, he studied the zips of all the purchesors. There's no discernable pattern: they're spread throughout the country.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
last two weeks would mean before and after the 11th. Interesting. Scary and interesting. Are these orders of the normal size or are these clearly stockpiling efforts?

If I were him I'd be working the demographics of the buys and I might actually tip off my largest client, the US Gov't as to the large spike. Those boobs need all the help in keeping us safe.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by soccerinco
on a serious note....there is a great personal radation detector out there...google raddetect.

I always thought personal rad detectors to be somewhat self defeating. If you're detecting it, you're probably already dead.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join