It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silver Bullet Cures being withheld for Profit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sometime ago, I had posted that it was possible that drug companys were withholding silver bullet cures in the name of profit and asked that perhaps some people come forward if they had knowledge of any. It created quite a debate and rather then digesting a massive thread, Id like to tell you about something Ive been made aware of and ask for input in this area.

It is my understanding that in Africa and other impoverished nations, that there is a sleep sickness disease that is treatable by a " Silver Bullet Drug ". But I have found out, that this drug in fact is not sold or available in impoverished coutries due to profit, and that Cyanide is used in place.

If anyone can confirm this I would greatly appreciate it. And if its true, then its true. Silver Bullet Cures are indeed held back in the name of profit. Either they make a large profit on maintainance, or they dont sell it to you at all or enter your market because there is no profit to be made.

Its a sad day on earth when man is only motivated by his own wallet.

Peace

[edit on 10-9-2006 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
Sometime ago, I had posted that it was possible that drug companys were withholding silver bullet cures in the name of profit and asked that perhaps some people come forward if they had knowledge of any. It created quite a debate and rather then digesting a massive thread, Id like to tell you about something Ive been made aware of and ask for input in this area.

It is my understanding that in Africa and other impoverished nations, that there is a sleep sickness disease that is treatable by a " Silver Bullet Drug ". But I have found out, that this drug in fact is not sold or available in impoverished coutries due to profit, and that Cyanide is used in place.

If anyone can confirm this I would greatly appreciate it. And if its true, then its true. Silver Bullet Cures are indeed held back in the name of profit. Either they make a large profit on maintainance, or they dont sell it to you at all or enter your market because there is no profit to be made.

Its a sad day on earth when man is only motivated by his own wallet.

Peace

Wait, let me see if I've got this straight. Here are your "facts":

- There is a vicious sleeping sickness in Africa that has no available treatment
- Companies are selling cyanide tablets as a treatment
- Somehow, people taking cyanide is producing profit.

Now let's look at the REAL facts:

- This "sleeping sickness" is actually called trypanosomiases
- There is a cheap and readily available early stage treatment called suramin.
- A molecular cure is in the works, as the causative parasitic vector does not infect when the flagellum has been removed via drugs.
- Small doses of cyanide kill, and there has not been a rash of cyanide related deaths in Africa.

Yup, yup, I think this has been debunked thoroughly. My job is done here. MD...awaaaaaay! hehe

Mariella

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Before you jump to the debunk category, Yes or no: is cyanide used to treat this as a cheaper alternative. And if so, is there a health risk. Becasue the last time I read, its poisonous.

Seconldy, I did not say they were profiting on Cyanide, I said they were using it.

To get the answer right, you have to understand the question.

For your information, the person whom I got this information from is also an Md.

Thank you for the name of the disease: Read the following doc:

Eflornithine (difluoromethylornithine or DFMO), the most modern treatment, was developed in the 1970s by Albert Sjoerdsmanot and underwent clinical trials in the 1980s. The drug was approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration in 1990, but Aventis, the company responsible for its manufacture, halted production in 1999. In 2001, however, Aventis, in association with Médecins Sans Frontières and the World Health Organization, signed a long-term agreement to manufacture and donate the drug

Does is say that Aventis halted production in 1999 but that the WHO signed a longer term agreement and donated the drug?

Here, let the non MD help you out.
en.wikipedia.org...

Maybe you should read my post about Headhunters who find people for a fee who can have surgery performed on them that otherwise may not be required.

Careful Doc, this one may catch you.

Theres a reason why 50% of America doenst receive health care in a land of plenty.

The Billions made by the drug companies is for a Job well done, or is it a profit well protected.. Remember the across the border drug topic some time back? Canada was undermining us.

You will not beat the truth.

Desire for truth 1
Attempt at Debunk 1
Proof of case 1

I stand.

Peace

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Before you jump to the debunk category, Yes or no: is cyanide used to treat this as a cheaper alternative. And if so, is there a health risk. Becasue the last time I read, its poisonous.

I answered this. Cyanide will kill, even in small doses. There is no advantage, no gain, and no purpose in giving hundreds of affected people cyanide as a treatment. There hasn't been any sign of massive deaths due to cyanide poisoning. This is an easily detected toxin, so no, cyanide has not been given as a cheap treatment.

Seconldy, I did not say they were profiting on Cyanide, I said they were using it.

You said cyanide was being given as a cheaper treatment, thus, they would be getting more profit than using the regular treatment. You are missing your own point, brilliant!

For your information, the person whom I got this information frm is also an Md.

I'm sure they are =)

Thank you for the name of the disease: Read the following doc:

Eflornithine (difluoromethylornithine or DFMO), the most modern treatment, was developed in the 1970s by Albert Sjoerdsmanot and underwent clinical trials in the 1980s. The drug was approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration in 1990, but Aventis, the company responsible for its manufacture, halted production in 1999. In 2001, however, Aventis, in association with Médecins Sans Frontières and the World Health Organization, signed a long-term agreement to manufacture and donate the drug

Eflornithine is used to treat late stage trypanosomiases, Chagas disease, and sometimes leishmaniasis. It is expensive and difficult to administer. That's why Aventis stopped producing it: the people who were the target market for the drug could not afford it.

Here, let the non MD help you out.
en.wikipedia.org...

You know that wikipedia isn't considered a peer-reviewed critical information source, right? It's basically the idiot's guide to general information. Try www.pubmed.com or even scholar.google.com . Peer-reviewed articles will keep you from looking like a fool.

Maybe you should read my post about Headhunters who find people for a fee who can have surgery performed on them that otherwise may not be required.

I fail to see how this relates to trypanosomiases.

Careful Doc, this one may catch you.

Theres a reason why 50% of America doenst receive health care in a land of plenty.

Well, considering trypanosomiases is not a risk in USA, I fail to see why you keep making off topic comments like this. Take it to another thread.

The Billions made by the drug companies is for a Job well done, or is it a profit well protected.. Remember the across the border drug topic some time back? Canada was undermining us.

Again, off topic. Take it to another thread.

You will not beat the truth.

Nope, you're right. Just people who think they are the "Neo" of the medical "Matrix". Get a grip.

Mariella

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsl4doc

That's why Aventis stopped producing it: the people who were the target market for the drug could not afford it.

Thats all you had to say. Thank you.

The poor are left to suffer unless someone is out there who is either helping selflessly, or there is an organization operating at a humanitarian level.

Peace

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   

That's why Aventis stopped producing it: the people who were the target market for the drug could not afford it.

Thats all you had to say. Thank you.

The poor are left to suffer unless someone is out there who is either helping selflessly, or there is an organization operating at a humanitarian level.

Peace

You realise you just made my point for me, right? There are cheaper and drugs being subsidised right now, which are more effective as well.

Wow, people really need to learn to do research on here. It's freaking depressing...

Mariella

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The Mere fact that this event happened means it happens today in one form or another.

It was the WHO that made it happen with private industry, not private industry on its own.

This was merely one item. Im sure there are others.

Its sad to think that men of such schooling exhibit such arrogance. I hope you arent teaching my children.

Peace

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   

The Mere fact that this event happened means it happens today in one form or another.

It was the WHO that made it happen with private industry, not private industry on its own.

This was merely one item. Im sure there are others.

Its sad to think that men of such schooling exhibit such arrogance. I hope you arent teach my children.

Peace

You "hope I aren't teach your children"? Well, by god, I hope you aren't, either.

Back on topic: are you somehow surprised that capitalism is involved in medicine? You know you live in a nation built on oppressing the poor and culling the weak, right?

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Doc,

We are all brothers. Rich and Poor. Italien and American. Jew and Muslim.
Whether you believe in God or whether we came from a simple cell life form.

I have nothing against you. I merely illustrated a point that became a truth in the matter of a day.

My point was made. There is an instance of a drug not being made in the name of profit and that is a truth. Not up for debate. Not up for a question.

Peace

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Doc,

We are all brothers. Rich and Poor. Italien and American. Jew and Muslim.
Whether you believe in God or whether we came from a simple cell life form.

I have nothing against you. I merely illustrated a point that became a truth in the matter of a day.

My point was made. There is an instance of a drug not being made in the name of profit and that is a truth. Not up for debate. Not up for a question.

Peace

I wasn't questioning it, and I realise what the issue is. I don't agree with profiteering in medicine, which is why I avoid the United States medical system like the plague.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
bsl4doc
Just to clarify, it was my understanding that you were only a med student, not a M.D.
Have you graduated yet?
Also, what field are you studying because, if for example, you're studying to be a podiatrist it would hardly make you an expert on these matters.

Cyanide will kill, even in small doses.

Not always the case, in small doses it has been used as a treatment to save lives.

Admittedly, I havn't heard of it used to treat any form of "sleep sickness" but to just use a broad sweeping brush to deny it's use as a treatment at all by saying it will only kill (even in small doses) seems a bit ignorant.

This is an easily detected toxin, so no, cyanide has not been given as a cheap treatment.

Also, due to the fact that it is so quickly metabolized by the human body, it is not always so "easily" detected.

You'd need specific testing that would only be performed if cyanide poisoning was explicitly suspected in someone.

[edit on 9/11/06 by redmage]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Ok Guys calm down and get some facts straight here.

The company that stopped producing the treatment (which was incidentally donated free to the WHO !!!!! non proft .. get the picture) Was NOT AVENTIS. that was the name of the company shortly after the decision (post Merger) but not at that time it wasn't. The company was called Rhone Poulenc Rorer and they had a huge tail of old products some of which had orphan drug status ( go look it up). Shortly after the company decided to stop production which was based on very old technology for manufacturing ( very old !!!!) and had failed some manufacturing tests in fact. The cost of replacement equipment was enormous and they had to ( regulators guys) stop manufacturing. They became aware of the consequences of that decision for the Africans ( notified via the WHO). There was then a long and eventually fruitfull search for an alternative supplier. This company was found in Denmark and the arrangement with the WHO re-instated. What you don't know is that it cost the company twice as much to buy it to give away to the WHO as it did to make it ...HHHmmm business decisions here guys.... The company in Denmark then had a fire and the whole thing became very complicated..
The bottom line is that Sanofi Aventis (as they now are) stopped making the stuff because the machinery was too old to continue using it. The WHO is happy and gets its donation of drugs ( you may google and find that the WHO bought the stuff... yes this is true ... with money donated by you guessed it ... the manufacturing company LOL)

Get this, the company donates the money to the WHO then sells the drug to them that they had to pay twice as much as before to have made ....makes me laugh....

No conspiracy here guys

Nice work Mariella .....

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
bsl4doc
Just to clarify, it was my understanding that you were only a med student, not a M.D.
Have you graduated yet?

Yes, I have graduated and am now a resident in internal medicine - HIV.

Cyanide will kill, even in small doses.

Not always the case, in small doses it has been used as a treatment to save lives.

Rare, and doses are often given as sodium cyanide or other compounds. Not pure cyanide.

Admittedly, I havn't heard of it used to treat any form of "sleep sickness" but to just use a broad sweeping brush to deny it's use as a treatment at all by saying it will only kill (even in small doses) seems a bit ignorant.

CYANIDE has never been used a treatment in pure form. Had the OP said cyanide compounds, that would be different.

Also, due to the fact that it is so quickly metabolized by the human body, it is not always so "easily" detected.

You'd need specific testing that would only be performed if cyanide poisoning was explicitly suspected in someone.

Not true. If a rash of deaths were seen in concentrated areas, tox screens would be run on heart blood, which WOULD detect cyanide.

Mariella

top topics

join