It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SO earthlike planets might be common eh

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The next step inufo disclosure
www.cnn.com...

I think ufo disclosure might be possible by 2012

[edit on 9-8-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yeah, they're slowly giving us more and more info. Gradually weening us into the possability. If they told us now there would be a bunch of morons banging their heads against walls because their entire concept of reality would be flipped. Some people can't handle that.

I try to not mention 2012 often. It just kinda sits there in the back of my mind as a deadline.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
yeah i like how you said it, weening us lol. I mean look at what happend when Orson Wells put War of the Worlds on the radio, people were committin suicide and crap and everything, it was nuts.

Quoted from wikipedia.org:

Several people reportedly rushed to the "scene" of the events in New Jersey to see if they could catch a glimpse of the unfolding events, including a few astronomers from Princeton University who went looking for the "meteorite" that had supposedly fallen near their school. Some people, who had brought firearms, reportedly mistook a farmer's water tower for an alien spaceship and shot at it.

Initially Grover's Mill was deserted, but later crowds developed as people rushed to the area. Eventually police were sent to the area to help control the crowds. To people arriving later in the evening, the scene really did look like the events being narrated on the radio broadcast, with panicked crowds and flashing police lights streaming across the masses.

Some people called CBS, newspapers or the police in confusion over the realism of the simulated news bulletins. There were instances of panic scattered throughout the US as a result of the broadcast, especially in New York and New Jersey.

mod edit to use "ex" tags instead of "quote" tags
Quote Reference.

[edit on 9-9-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Water is key to life as humans define it.
OP's Source

I'm glad to see that they made sure to stated this point, there is the possibility that there is life that doesn't fit out current definition.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
wow i got an applause.I dont know what it means but i got 500pts
.So guys whats the next step? we have discovered small criters in one of the saturns or jupiters moons?

also now we are in the fi in the drake equation meaning fraction of the planets which can support life.3 more drake equation symbols to go.

[edit on 8-9-2006 by coolheretic]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by PennKen2009
yeah i like how you said it, weening us lol.

I wonder if these people think we're falling for the "government mind-control and slavery is for your own good" stuff.

A lot of planets are terraformed to be made inhabitable, in any case, it's a common practice.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm not a believer in the disclosure theory, but it has puzzled me that the Terrestrial Planet finder mission was cancelled. Of all of the fundamentally important questions in space science, I think this is the big one:

DO we have some place to go where we can stop and take a breathe of fresh air?

And yet they canceled the project. Very odd.

Anyway, astronomers are looking at wasys to measure the atmosphere of the larger extra-solar planets. If they get that resolved down to remote rocky planets, we could be talking about breathable atmospheres in a decade or two. Exciting times for us proles!

[edit on 8-9-2006 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Imagine what they were spending on that project, while knowing the answer all along. It makes sense why they cancelled it.

Edn

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hold on, some of you guys actually think people are hiding information about planets? Thats just stupidly funny considering how hard it would be to accomplish especially with the way the Astronomical community works. Not to mention we have only recently have started to acquire the technology to find possible habitable planets.

Anyway some scientists are currently working on new ways of getting a better picture of planets, one I have heard recently is a space telescope with an umbrella like shield to block star light from surrounding stars entering the telescope which does seam promising. As for planets Astronomers have already identified hundreds of stars containing planets in the "habitable zone" its really just a matter now of identifying what the planets contain i.e. water.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I don't me astronomers are hiding the info. IT would be the biggest discovery of their careers. I mean that certain agencies know there are other habitable planets, with life on them, and they won't allow astronomers to find out about them. And if they do, they don't allow them to report it.

Edn

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
So how exactly would they know of a planet with life on it? oh and who is they? Considering the majority of Astronomy is conducted by amateurs and projects tend to include a large mix of professionals and amateurs it can be quite hard to hide that sort of thing. Heck I can request time on some of the largest telescopes in the world and go research habitable planets myself. Astronomy is one of the few things that tends to be an open book. If someone did know of a habitable planet they would have published there report ages ago because if they don't someone else will.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Well, Edn, if you want to bait me into saying that the government has made contact with alien species, therefore know that life exists outside of Earth, then there you have it. So, where do you want this debate to go next?

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

If someone did know of a habitable planet they would have published there report ages ago

They did. Inhabitable planets have been known since before Earth existed. You, however, are a tool of a belief system dedicated to keeping Earth secluded, and if you saw any of the articles, you'd nervously say "that's a hoax" and quickly find something else to talk about.

Edn

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Now the government hideing information that there is life on other planets is different from the Astronomical community hideing that sort of information, my main forus on my previous posts has been the research into finding habitable planets by Astronomers through conventional means i.e. telescopes, radio telescopes, etc.

That aside I would love to see some articles about that if you have any links. The whole idea that we are not alone fascinates me. I am certain that there are hundreds if not thousands of habitable planets out there all with some sort of life on them, I am however not so sure about alien life havening contacted us but that said im open to be proven wrong.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ectoterrestrial
And yet they canceled the project. Very odd.

Are you talking about the Kepler Mission?

It doesn't look too cancelled to me:

kepler.nasa.gov...

They just had a big mirror delivered Ball Aerospace for testing for the project.

[edit on 8-9-2006 by Junkheap]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
So how exactly would they know of a planet with life on it? oh and who is they? Considering the majority of Astronomy is conducted by amateurs and projects tend to include a large mix of professionals and amateurs it can be quite hard to hide that sort of thing. Heck I can request time on some of the largest telescopes in the world and go research habitable planets myself. Astronomy is one of the few things that tends to be an open book. If someone did know of a habitable planet they would have published there report ages ago because if they don't someone else will.

How would they know it was a planet with life on it?. Quite easy, actually. They'd study the light coming from the planet through a spectroscope and look for the telltale signs of Methane and Oxygen ( as well as Ozone). Both Oxygen and Methane are highly reactive gases which normally don't stay as free agents in atmospheres unless they're constantly being replenished all the time. Though nonbiological processes can form these gases, if the concentrations are in large enough amounts and seem to be constantly present in an atmosphere, the most likely reason for their presence is a biological one. They can also detect seasonal variations in these gases, as well as water vapour, CO2 and other gases. They can also detect ozone (O3), which would mean that the planet had a protective UV screen in its atmosphere.

Figuring out that an Earth-like planet has life on it isn't all that difficult...... it's determining what that life is which is the hard part. And whether there maybe any advanced lifeforms there. To do that, you need to go there. You may go there and just find things like algae....or fish and invertebrates. You might find creatures that are superficially like terrestrial reptiles and/or mammals. Then again you might find it's the home of the Malorian Star Empire and they're about to launch an invasion of Earth!! Who knows what you may find

When they do find other Earths (it's only a matter of time), they wont be able to hush up the discoveries. With so many scientists looking for and being interested in finding other planets, it would be almost impossible to censor the information. Too many questions would be asked and governments don't like that...... nor do they like people to be thinking for themselves. Too dangerous for them.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Maybe its less UFO discolsure and more the fact that a study determined the possibility of something?

yeesh

[edit on 8-9-2006 by Johnmike]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hahaha... yeah... let's make it look like humans figured it out on their own. If they give disclosure then it kinda throws a monkey wrench into the glorious future of their history, but does it really matter? No. I suppose it's all for safety purposes... but moving at this rate not even 2012 is a possibility. Pick up the pace and make things bit more public! I can only do so much and most of the time I am ignored and placed in solitary confinement.

[edit on 8-9-2006 by dgoodpasture]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I have to agree with Johnmikes point here.

Why does everything nhave to be connected to aliens?

Why could'nt we use our computers to model data?

I really think it is our discovery, not helped by little grey men.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Cover ups and political who haaa's aside i think the news that Earth like planets are common is good news. We urgently need to find a planet as we are doing an excellne tjob of wrecking the one we live on now. Humanity needs to expand and leave the nest so to speak. SO the sooner offical conformation of an Earth like planet is discovered the better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join