It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis to Launch with SNAFU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
are we back to pre challenger, pre columbia mentallity at nasa? they really,really want to make their launch window for september.

www.cnn.com...
this is from the above cnn article.

On Thursday, NASA decided not to change out an electricity-generating fuel cell whose coolant pump had given erratic readings, causing a scrub a day earlier. Replacing the fuel cell could have delayed any launch attempt by several weeks.

friday is the last day of their current launch window. lets cross our fingers and hope nothing goes wrong. oh yeah, we still need to worry about breakaway foam.

goodluck nasa and godspeed.

[edit on 7-9-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
As I understand there are three of them, so another one could fail and the mission would still be OK. It's not even clear the fickle one is even broken, there are just some anomalous readings from it.

I'm sure it will be OK.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
yeah sounds kinda like the problem they had the first launch after columbia broke apart.

spaceflightnow.com...

it just seems as if they would like more time to look at the problem, but they are rushing it. all because their launch window ends tomorrow . the risk is probably greater tomorrow , then it would be weeks from now if they waited. what do i really know though, im no rocket scientist.

i do agree with you though, i believe it will go off just fine.

[edit on 7-9-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Congrats to Nasa for the Sussessful launch of Atlantis.
Finally the ISS is back under construction.

[edit on 9-9-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
good job nasa. it was nice to see it delayed till today because i didnt have to miss it for work!

i think it was the heaviest lift ever.

i cant believe we went all these years without the insane views that we are now privileged to.

they are now showing a piece of foam that broke away and flew towards the right wing of the shuttle. i hope it missed atlantis completely.

nasa is having a press conference soon.

is there a reason we only sent 6 astronauts instead of 7? peace

[edit on 9-9-2006 by elitegamer23]

[edit on 9-9-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Here's an STS-115 launch wallpaper I edited:

Original photo here:
mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

is there a reason we only sent 6 astronauts instead of 7? peace

This appears to be the reason:

Atlantis carried one of the heaviest payloads ever launched into space — a 17 1/2 ton truss section that will be added to the half-built space station. It includes two solar arrays that will produce electricity for the orbiting outpost. Atlantis' weight was so much that it only had a crew of six, instead of the usual seven astronauts.

Atlantis now headed for space station

top topics

join