It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocodile Hunter - Steve Irwin is Dead

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Not at all gps777.... go right ahead. If the truth hurts then it is still the truth - something some people seem to want to avoid at all costs.

If you have something to say and it's based in reality, go right ahead.... it may change my opinion if it has some value and reasoning. But I don't believe everything I see or read without some evidence or logical reasoning.

Of course, if it's just BS.... well go ahead anyway, I'm quite capable of siffing BS out of my life.

Oh, and by the way - the measurement of genius is a matter of IQ, not something left up to you to decide, cobber. You have the choice to not accept the measurement standard, but you don't get to pick and choose from those that qualify. If you happen to be a genius, doesn't mean you have to be a 'nice' person.

Er, OX, There may have been some misunderstanding - Brocky's navigator is in a stable condition in hospital.

If everyone thinks I should not speak the truth as I see it, then tough - someone has to. The world has far too many people who only whisper sweet little lies to one another. Isn't what you are suggesting 'freedom of speech, as long as the speaker agrees with your point of view'.

[edit on 8/9/06 by The Winged Wombat]

Ox

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Sorry wombat you're right.. I misread the article.. And when you're right you're right...

But I have to disagree with some of the things you say about Steve... Sorry.. but it's my opinion...

Incase you guys missed it.. here's the link to my tribute

Youtube.com

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
Not at all gps777.... go right ahead.

Ummm no genius here help me out,go right ahead what?

If you have something to say and it's based in reality, go right ahead.... it may change my opinion if it has some value and reasoning. I don't believe everything without some evidence or logical reasoning though.

Of course, if it's just BS.... well go ahead anyway, I'm quite capable of siffing BS out of my life.

I`m guessing here that you think i`ve got something to say other than what i said?
if thats correct then no i said what i believe.

Oh, and by the way - the measurement of genius is a matter of IQ, not something left up to you to decide, cobber.You have the choice to not accept the measurement standard

Just IQ?

gen·ius (jnys)
n. pl. gen·ius·es
a. Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
b. A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: "One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius" Simone de Beauvoir.
c. A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.
a. A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
b. One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
3. The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
4. pl. ge·ni·i (jn-) Roman Mythology A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
5. A person who has great influence over another.
6. A jinni in Muslim mythology.

Seems like nearly anybody can be called a genius,you only need to greatly influence another to qualify.She deffenetly fails 2a.
A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.

You have the choice to not accept the measurement standard, but you don't get to pick and choose from those that qualify. If you happen to be a genius, doesn't mean you have to be a 'nice' person.

Too true pal,sad really when people glorify someone with a high IQ who`s a jerk and look down upon someone with a low IQ who says and does whats right.I`ll stick to how i admire others.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I really don't know anything about the woman, personally.... but she certainly is a 'genius' at saying the wrong things at the wrong time, from what little I've heard out of her disrespectful and insensitive pie-hole...

I guarantee Steve has done more, world-wide, for the good of animals than this bitter old bag.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ox

Incase you guys missed it.. here's the link to my tribute

Youtube.com

WATS to you OX great tribute to Steve mate,i`m sure Steve's family would appreciate that i know i really did,good job.

Ox

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
I really don't know anything about the woman, personally.... but she certainly is a 'genius' at saying the wrong things at the wrong time, from what little I've heard out of her disrespectful and insensitive pie-hole...

I guarantee Steve has done more, world-wide, for the good of animals than this bitter old bag.

I have to agree with you.. it seems like all she wanted was some cheap publicity.... If she wanted publicity that badly she could have done the world a favour and jumped infront of a train.. Atleast then she wouldnt have been disrespectful in getting her attention... And she's not a genius cause she's Australian and moved to London.. if that were the case.. then I'd be a genius for moving to the USA... sorry.. far from it.. She's a bitter washed up HACK! with no talent and nothing to offer the world but bitter remarks about a great person...

And thankyou gps777 for the comments.. I appreciate it... We'll all miss him dearly..

[edit on 8-9-2006 by Ox]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'm an italian journalist and I'm writing an enquiry about Steve Irwin's death.

Mass media around the world said Irwin was killed by a short-tail stingray. But according to an italian expert - Giovanni Raimondi of the Cattolica's Aquarium - short-tail stingray doesn't bite and doesn't kill people (www.repubblica.it...).

Do you think there is a conspiracy behind this all?

Ox

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
There is no conspiracy, just a tragic accident... Steve was killed by a 100kg (220lbs) Bull stingray.. it didnt bite him, it's LONG tail (which can get up to 10 inches in length) came upward where Steve was swimming above the animal, pierced his heart under his rib cage, Steve pulled the barb out and died....

There is no conspiracy, nothing is being hidden, this is a purely tragic accident that just happened.. it was a one in a hundred million chance of happening.. and it had to happen to this great man...

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The episode of "The Simpsons" that aired here last night and presumably elsewhere, as well, on the Fox affiliate opened with Bart and Lisa are arguing over whether to watch a nature show with an Irwin inspired character or a Barbi-like show. By the time Bart gets a hold of the remote and tunes into the nature show, the host is bit and pieces floating in a pond and he exclaims that he missed the feeding frenzy.

I'm not sure that was really in good taste, but then, it is Fox.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Ratings ftw.

welcome to prime time.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Well, these are reruns that air every night at 10pm, not exactly primetime.

[edit on 2006/9/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'd expect nothing less from a show like 'The Simpsons'.

I've watched an episode or two before and while amusing, I found the show to be a tad moronic and immature. I can only laugh at peepee-caka jokes for so long...

[edit on 8-9-2006 by firebat]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Ox, I defend and respect your right to your opinion, and anyone else for that matter, I have merely been pointing out that not everyone shares one particular opinion, in this case for the reasons stated.

gps777, Sorry, I thought that you were suggesting that I would react negatively to criticism of someone the 'I idolise'. This is not the case. The simple fact of the matter is that I idolise no man (never have). I admire some people for their undoubted talent, intelligence, skill or other such quality, but I have always recognised that they are still merely human beings, with the faults that all human beings possess. They are not gods.

With reference to genius, you have taught me something - I had always believed that the IQ measurement to qualify for the tag was 200, but there you are. Certainly the requirement for membership of MENSA is lower than 200. However, to qualify for the tag, a person doesn't have to meet all the requirements of multiple definitions (in this case two separate definitions). I was referring to definition #1.

While 'The Simpsons' and 'South Park' are not to my taste, they (and many other programs) are satire. They discuss things that perhaps might not be able to be discussed due to political correctness or social taboos - they provide an alternative opinion, if you wish. If the same views were introduced on, say, a talk show they would be howled down by the audience. But by cloaking the views expressed in comedy, if you understand the concept of satire, then I do think they stimulate people to think beyond just accepting what we are told by those that would rather not have us question what they say. You'll get no argument from me that both these programs attempt satire in a crude and clumsy way, but for satire to be successfully marketed, there has to be some element of truth in its content. I could be wrong regarding both of these programs if their viewers see them merely as entertainment without recognising their satirical nature.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I certainly understand satire and I think that The Simpsons is a hilarious, biting satire of our culture. It was the timing of airing a rerun with this material so soon after Irwin's death.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Just thought that a couple of these quotes might shed a bit of light on the sort of person Steve Irwin was, more class than Germaine Greer imo.

Source

TWO of the men with Steve Irwin just before he died have paid an emotional tribute to the Crocodile Hunter.
Dr Jamie Seymour and Phillippe Cousteau, the grandson of celebrated environmentalist Jacques Cousteau, said yesterday Irwin was a "generous, caring and honest" man whose energy and passion for the environment and people inspired them.
Both wildlife experts were aboard Croc One on Monday when Irwin, 44, died after he was stabbed through the heart by a stingray's barb.

The Croc Hunter had spoken by phone to Dr Seymour's son, Ben. "The thing he said just stuck in my mind: 'Ben, thanks for letting me have your Dad on your birthday'.
"I hung up and I said to Steve 'thanks for doing that' and these are the words he said to me and they're going to run with me for the rest of my life: 'No Jamie, thank you for letting me come into your life'. That really sums this guy up."

The film crew has apparently returned to the area where Steve died to complete the Doco they were making

STEVE Irwin's film crew has secretly returned to the Queensland reef where he was killed to complete his final documentary, Ocean's Deadliest.
Irwin's longtime manager and friend John Stainton revealed on US TV today that he had asked the crew on the morning after Irwin's death if they would like to complete the documentary.
“To a man, they all said yes,” Stainton told CNN talkshow host, Larry King.
Stainton said they secretly slipped out to Batt Reef on the Great Barrier Reef, where Irwin was killed by a stingray on Monday, to shoot the final scenes of the documentary.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   

gps777, Sorry, I thought that you were suggesting that I would react negatively to criticism of someone the 'I idolise'. This is not the case.

Well your right here i was`nt suggesting you would react negatively because i dont know you nor did i suggest that you idolize Peter nor do i think the majority of people in the world idolise Steve,what i was hoping is for you to realize that just because you did`nt see it,there was more to Steve that others saw,still does`nt excuse the ranting of Greer and the like at this/that particular time,understand?

The simple fact of the matter is that I idolise no man (never have). I admire some people for their undoubted talent, intelligence, skill or other such quality, but I have always recognised that they are still merely human beings, with the faults that all human beings possess. They are not gods.

Hope you dont think your a lone ranger with this quote,because your not and nor has anyone suggested otherwise,if you have read peoples words they are a tribute to someone who did a great deal in his field and put his money where his mouth is,someone who was loved dearly by his family and friends who would put their lives on the line for him because he would do the same for them.Aussie mateship at its best.

Mojo`s last post,some were comments of people who had only just recently had the pleasure of meeting such a genuine friendly bloke such as Steve the majority of people who meet him or saw him realized the same.He and his family deserves better than slanderous comments at this time is what i`ve been echoing.

[edit on 8-9-2006 by gps777]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Ox -- Just got back into town and have been away from my computer --- Just saw your video. Such a moving video presentation of Steve! It brought me to tears. I'm crying buckets right now after viewing it -- thanks so much for creating the video.... great job. Boy, you're good at this! Loved the music too!

Palasheea

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Once again let's get things into perspective a litte. Germaine Greer is an Australian and one of those Australians that could probably be described as a genius, and like many of that ilk, could probably also be described as a sufferer of Aussie cringe. Australia has a long history of losing it's most intelligent people overseas and she is an example of that syndrome. Perhaps it's that we don't recognise genius among our peers (a variation of the tall poppy syndrome), I don't know, but in many cases our smartest people often seem to have moved offshore. Is it better funding, or maybe it's just snobbery, I don't know.

Hey mate, havent replied to any of your posts, yet couldnt let this go through to the keeper. I'd hardly class her as a genius. The only time you ever seem to hear anything from her is when she has something derogatory to say about someone, that doesn't take genius imo.
This argument of the best aussies leaving our shores is BS. Per capita lets add up those that leave britain/europe to make their name in the US/World stage, sure some talented people leave here to increase their profile/earnings, we just dont have the population here.
I've actually found that there are a lot more high profile 'celebs' either coming here for lifestyle/work opportunities now than ever before, the worm has turned! You'll find that the 'geniuses' will, from scientific fields leave anyway, no matter what field they are involved in, merely for the fact that the research that alot of these people do involves developing relationships with researchers from around the world. The CSIRO has been a world leader in many fields of research over the years for such a small country (population wise). this wouldn't be the case if our most intelligent people were leaving the country for greener pastures.
This is still the Lucky country imo.

Ox

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Palasheea thankyou so much for watching the tribute.. And thanks for the compliment... I thought it was a fitting tribute to a wonderful human being... I think I might make another one with another program and include all the pictures I have of him..

Thanks again..

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

gen·ius (jnys)
n. pl. gen·ius·es
a. Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
b. A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: "One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius" Simone de Beauvoir.
c. A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.

Originally posted by firebat

Originally posted by Ox
I have to agree with you.. it seems like all she wanted was some cheap publicity.... If she wanted publicity that badly she could have done the world a favour and jumped infront of a train.. Atleast then she wouldnt have been disrespectful in getting her attention... And she's not a genius cause she's Australian and moved to London..

Once again let's get things into perspective a litte. Germaine Greer is an Australian and one of those Australians that could probably be described as a genius, and like many of that ilk, could probably also be described as a sufferer of Aussie cringe. Australia has a long history of losing it's most intelligent people overseas and she is an example of that syndrome. Perhaps it's that we don't recognise genius among our peers (a variation of the tall poppy syndrome), I don't know, but in many cases our smartest people often seem to have moved offshore. Is it better funding, or maybe it's just snobbery, I don't know.

Originally posted by mojo4sale
Hey mate, havent replied to any of your posts, yet couldnt let this go through to the keeper. I'd hardly class her as a genius. The only time you ever seem to hear anything from her is when she has something derogatory to say about someone, that doesn't take genius imo.

Originally posted by Ox

So much for denying ignorance...

I'll keep this short.

For all those who've read excerpts from the Germaine Greer piece and chosen to comment: try reading the entirety.

For all those who "only...ever seem to hear anything from her is when she has something derogatory to say about someone" then how about denying a little ignorance adn finding out just who Germaine Greer is and why people around the world would ask her opinion.

For a start you could try Googling "The Female Eunuch" and go from there.

Suffice it to say there's a reason why Germaine Greer is a talking head whose opinion is called on and respected. You would do well to learn why.

As for this:

Originally posted by Ox

:shk:

How to utterly miss the point. Ox, you more than anyone need to start reading something other than the Sun-Herald.

Totally unrelated, but I'm wondering how many of you believe Lindy Chamberlain did it...

And RIP Brockie, King of the Mountain.

A man who promoted road safety and (usually) fair play.

No tenth Bathurst now...

edit: quotes

[edit on 11-9-2006 by HowlrunnerIV]

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join