It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocodile Hunter - Steve Irwin is Dead

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I don't know if it hit the world news but on the local news here near where Steve lived there was an interview with a fisherman who lives near the place Steve was killed. He said that his friend or ex-boss was stabbed in the heart by a stingray also. He says he made it five yards to the radio, Said "I'M Hit." Then died. It seems like he had caught a ray and it stabbed him when he pulled it onto the boat or something like that.

There was also a local man from close to Steve's home and he showed the scar from when a stingray stabbed him in the chest too. The sting went in the side of the chest and came out above his collar bone!

We're often hearing about crocs killing people. Not very long ago a woman was fishing with her five year old daughter and a croc rushed out of the water and grabbed the girl and swam away with her underwater.

There was a man eaten by a croc not very long ago too.

Believe it or not crocs are being used by certain people for making crocodile leather, and those people are the ones that want crocs to be protected in the wild. They want them to breed freely so that there is plenty for them to use to make money. It's not like crocs are fully protected I believe.

Steve was a showman who recognized that people get a thrill from getting close to dangerous animals. I don't care less if he teased them or stirred them up because they are just dumb animals and we eat animals every day. People all keep dogs and some dogs killed a little girl near here not very long ago. You can't trust dogs that have been trained and fed all their lives and you can't trust any animal at all.

I used to live in a town where folks liked to keep pet pigs in the house. Most everyone had horrific bites and chunks taken out of their bodies where the pigs just turned and bit them one day.

Animals are dangerous critters that should be kept at a safe distance, and Steve let us see the dangerous side of animals that we don't normally see. There should be another entertainer who teases animals into attacking so that people can see what they are really like.

Pet cats kill indiscriminately all day and night. They kill anything that moves and should be kept in cages. But people let cats roam around killing all the wildlife and think they are lovely creatures. They are monsters who have sucked us in with their cute looks.

Animals are dangerous and Steve Irwin let us get closer to their dangerous side than the pussy footed conservationists who film the animals from a distance.

Thanks Steve for putting yourself in danger for all of us.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by probedbygrays
Believe it or not crocs are being used by certain people for making crocodile leather, and those people are the ones that want crocs to be protected in the wild.

I seriously doubt that... protection means protection from poachers.

Steve was a showman who recognized that people get a thrill from getting close to dangerous animals. I don't care less if he teased them or stirred them up because they are just dumb animals and we eat animals every day.

How compassionate of you.

People all keep dogs and some dogs killed a little girl near here not very long ago. You can't trust dogs that have been trained and fed all their lives and you can't trust any animal at all.

My dog has never killed any little girls and I'd bet my house that he never will.

I used to live in a town where folks liked to keep pet pigs in the house. Most everyone had horrific bites and chunks taken out of their bodies where the pigs just turned and bit them one day.

Because you don't keep pigs inside... they're PIGS! DUH!

Animals are dangerous critters that should be kept at a safe distance, and Steve let us see the dangerous side of animals that we don't normally see. There should be another entertainer who teases animals into attacking so that people can see what they are really like.

I think a better idea would be to string you up as bait for the next gator show that airs on Animal Planet.

Pet cats kill indiscriminately all day and night. They kill anything that moves and should be kept in cages. But people let cats roam around killing all the wildlife and think they are lovely creatures. They are monsters who have sucked us in with their cute looks.

Did you have an unfortunate childhood incident with a cat or something?

Cats are natural predators and it is their instinct to hunt. It comes with the territory.

The only unnatural thing about domesticated cats that hunt is that given enough of them, they slowly diminish the rodent population, which undoubtedly affects the food-chain.... but that would be OUR fault, not the cats.

Animals are dangerous and Steve Irwin let us get closer to their dangerous side than the pussy footed conservationists who film the animals from a distance.

If you knew anything of what you're talking about, you'd know that Steve was a conservationist himself and that's what drove him to do the things he did... he loved those animals and he wanted to share how wonderful they all are so that people like you would get their heads at of there arses.

Ox

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Firebat... I have to agree with everything you said.. Thankyou.. I didnt reply to that post before because I probably would have been banned if I did..

I'm currently working on a video tribute to Steve.. If anyone has any pictures of Steve that they would like to include, please U2U me for an email address where you can send them.. If anyone also knows of anywhere I can upload it.. or what no that would be great too.... I plan on burning it to CD too..

Thanks..

R.I.P Steve..

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
can upload @ YouTube

Ox

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Thanks Lysergic... That's probably where it will go.. I'll post a link to it as soon as I'm finished.. as I said.. if anyone has any pics they would like to include. . please u2u me for an email address...

Thanks again for the support...

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Don't know if this has been covered but if it has, sorry. Carribean cruise ships love to dock at the Cayman Islands and one of the side trips is a short boat-ride out to a sandy shallow. There are always three to ten boatloads of people that buy buckets of bait and get in to the chest high waters to feed hundreds, and sometimes more, stingrays. The stingrays vary in size from a foot in width to five and six feet. I've done this twice now and have pictures of stingrays all over me eating out of my hand. I've actually lifted them out of the water. The only instruction we were given was to shuffle our feet so we wouldn't step on one.

Obviously the stingray that hit Steve was unaccustomed to divers in it's space. I don't think I'll ever see stingrays again without thinking of Steve, and I don't know if I will push my luck with them again.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi
Obviously the stingray that hit Steve was unaccustomed to divers in it's space. I don't think I'll ever see stingrays again without thinking of Steve, and I don't know if I will push my luck with them again.

I think the majority of stingrays are probably "unaccustomed to divers in their space."

This particular one felt cornered and did the only thing it thought it could do. I don't think it had anything to do with not being accustomed to people. It probably would've done the same thing had Steve and the cameraman been two sharks instead (or whatever eats stingrays), provided the same conditions were present-- that is two big-ass creatures intruding in the stingray's personal space, to the point of making it afraid.

Getting stabbed by a stingray, while rare, is not unheard of it.... it was just a tragic accident that Steve happened to be stabbed in a deadly location... probably THE worst place he could've been stabbed.

[edit on 7-9-2006 by firebat]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Steve showed us animals attacking him regularly. It was great education for us, priceless. He didn't kill the animals, but you want me killed for saying it's okay that he stirred the critters up.

I explained stingray attacks to the heart region around here and all types of vicious animal killings and maulings to show that animals are not safe. That's the facts and Steve showed that to us like no other.

Animals are deadly.. Sure they have a nice side but that's what the other conservationists show us. The Grizzly man's girlfriend would be alive today if the Grizzly man documented the deadly aspect of Grizzlies instead of their cute cuddly side.

I love critters but they are deadly and people need to see that side more than they need to get close and cuddle the things.

Cats kill millions of wild animals every day. Dogs maul childrens faces every day. But you say they are nice creatures. They might be sometimes, but crocs are nice sometimes. There's a documentary about a village that keeps alligators as pets in their homes. They think they are gods. Steve showed us that he runs in fear from them even though he got real close. People need to know about the deadly side of critters and Steve showed that to us till the end. Amen Steve Irwin.

You want to have me killed for trying to save peoples lives? Like your avatar you are not quite right

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Hey probedbygrays,

Don't bother... these people think they are all nice fuzzy pets and they'll kill anyone that disagrees with them.

Let them have their delusions - after all they are experts on all creatures - they saw it all on the Discovery Channel!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat

Of course there is one animal (and only one) that does kill indiscriminately - man! The most dangerous animal on this planet

Good point.

But where do you get your information from? What is your experience with crocodile training?

I never said you could train crocodiles. I asked for your experience in the matter, and gave my opinion on the usual tendencies this croc may have had.

I only see one poster in this thread who won't listen.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by probedbygrays
Thanks Steve for putting yourself in danger for all of us.

That sounds like: thanks Jesus for dying for our sins.

I do admit I like many aspects of Steve Irwin, but with more and more contemplation between conservationist and looking at the real world of animals, we have to see realistically as humans that we have taken their space. This is actually the root of all the conversations afterwards.

I also see more a loss of a tourist icon than was portrayed in the media. Was he more a business person for the tourist industry? I also noticed in Australian papers (Daily Telegraph) that he was placed 3 times on the 6th Sept. in pictures with President Bush. Was that a promotional thing for Bush to have him as a mate of Australia's loved identity, I think so...and it can only be done with media's intent.

I have to agree with everything THE WINGED WOMBAT has said and I have to point out that all animals for his sensationalist filming, the animals "have to be cornered" to get aggressive and strike. It works as entertainment and I have fallen into that trap myself. Nature works on the law of balance and if he was killed by an animal then its a forgone conclusion for me that he was "out of balance" in his real intention towards nature.
In this, I agree with Germaine Greer.

But on the Herald-Sun site, Speed spoke for a few: "Greer, for once, spot-on. The only surprises here is Irwin reaching 44 and of all the magnificent creatures, the beautifully docile ray.

Of course, its a great loss for his wife and children and I am not wanting to appear disrespectful but I think all sides of an issue need to be looked at, especially issues that come up in the media because it effects everyone!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
www.fantasticfrog.net...

Hi Ox,
Just sending you this link. I've inserted John Denver's Calypso song on it as well as an photo of Steve Irwin. Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing your video!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
To the Aussies here on ATS.

Did it seem way out of ordinary that during a time of shock sadness and mourning a day or so after Steves death that Germaine Greer`s unsympathetic comments someone from another country would have even been aired at all?

I mean so what! not everybody has to like anyone I`m sure some people disliked Diana but would they air those peoples comments to the British a day after her death?

At a guess i`d say 9 out of ten people did like Steve.Why would the media rub salt into the wounded hearts of the 9 out of ten?

Well yesterday morning the Premier of Queensland Peter Beatie spoke on the morning news about Germaine Greer`s comments calling her virtually down right disrespectful and that he knows she has land in Queensland and he said that if he could he would triple her tax`s.

The Queensland State elections are on the 9th well tomorrow here and from his comments if i were a Queenslander he would have definitely got my vote (he would have anyway,he seems like a guy with his head on straight) Anyway do you think this could have been used and aired to gain votes?kinda seems like it to me.

[edit on 8-9-2006 by gps777]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
haters always going to hate on someone.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
Well yesterday morning the Premier of Queensland Peter Beatie spoke on the morning news about Germaine Greer`s comments calling her virtually down right disrespectful and that he knows she has land in Queensland and he said that if he could he would triple her tax`s.

The Queensland State elections are on the 9th well tomorrow here and from his comments if i were a Queenslander he would have definitely got my vote (he would have anyway,he seems like a guy with his head on straight) Anyway do you think this could have been used and aired to gain votes?kinda seems like it to me.

I dont live in Queensland but i do follow our politics and Peter Beattie seems to come across as a stand up guy. Most media outlets had him winning the election in a landslide even before Steves death so i dont think he had anything to gain by using the tragedy to gain votes.

On another notr its just been confirmed here that Peter Brock has just been killed in the Targa Rally in W.A, damn 2 aussie icons gone in a week, wtf is going on. For those that dont know Peter Brock is a 9 times Bathurst winner in Australia and a motor racing legend, you think the country's mourning over Steve Irwin wait until you see the effect this has on our petrol heads around the country. There will be smokin' tires lightin up the streets from Perth to Sydney tonight.

Sadness!!! RIP for 2 aussie legends in the one week.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
I dont live in Queensland but i do follow our politics and Peter Beattie seems to come across as a stand up guy. Most media outlets had him winning the election in a landslide even before Steves death so i dont think he had anything to gain by using the tragedy to gain votes.

Your probably right Mojo thing is i can`t understand why they would air some ding bat (imo)comments from another country the day after,why even air it?

On another notr its just been confirmed here that Peter Brock has just been killed in the Targa Rally in W.A, damn 2 aussie icons gone in a week, wtf is going on. For those that dont know Peter Brock is a 9 times Bathurst winner in Australia and a motor racing legend,

Sadness!!! RIP for 2 aussie legends in the one week.

Yep just heard its been confirmed and will echo your last quote

Sadness!!! RIP for 2 aussie legends in the one week my thoughts to their family and friends.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Dont know mate, our media here has always had this tall poppy syndrome when it comes to our high profile celebrities, if you were going to quote someone from overseas germaine greer would be my last choice, dont believe shes uttered a nice word about anyone, ever!!

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Once again let's get things into perspective a litte. Germaine Greer is an Australian and one of those Australians that could probably be described as a genius, and like many of that ilk, could probably also be described as a sufferer of Aussie cringe. Australia has a long history of losing it's most intelligent people overseas and she is an example of that syndrome. Perhaps it's that we don't recognise genius among our peers (a variation of the tall poppy syndrome), I don't know, but in many cases our smartest people often seem to have moved offshore. Is it better funding, or maybe it's just snobbery, I don't know.

While I didn't actually see the article that she wrote (it was in a UK paper), might I suggest (at least by the apparent length of it) that this was not just a 'letter to the editor' but a piece commissioned by the paper. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Now, heaven forbid any newspaper should intentionally set out to be controversial! That the media would seize on one small part of the article, well that's no surprise either is it.

My understanding is that there was quite an amount of praise contained in the piece as well, but just as there has been debate on this forum, there are many people that, while more that willing to acknowledge Irwin's commitment to conservation, and the fact that he was a genuine, nice bloke, question the manner in which he portrayed himself and the animals in his show (and I guess there will always be a question mark about the relative importance of the show and it's earnings and his commitment to other things). And, of course the example he set to a generation that already thinks it's invincible.

On the matter of Premier Beattie. Well it's not often that I have sympathy for a pollie, but I have to say that virtually on the eve of an election, he was faced with the public suggestion the Steve Irwin should be given a State Funeral. Sure, he has such a hugh majority that there would have to be something like a 25% swing against him for him to lose. But with such a public groundswell occurring, there is absolutely no possible way that he could refuse such a request at such a time (politically), because the perception of a refusal could well produce that 25% swing. Truely somewhere between a rock and a hard place, wouldn't you say.

To Peter Brock.... Yep, I'm one of those petrol heads.... I saw his second ever race in the Austin A30 / Holden 179 at Calder (his first was at the long defunct Hume Weir circuit). I have also done some racing, so I know the dangers very initimately, He was one of the very best that this country has ever produced. But he was still just a man, with all the faults that we all have. We are all capable of making mistakes and we are not invincible. A god, no, nor a saint. That he died doing something that he loved is absolutely beyond doubt - those who know will tell you that motor racing is not a sport - it is a disease for which there is no cure!

As it happens, I know one of the members of the Brock family quite well, so this one is very very close to me. To all of the Brock family, please accept my heartfelt condolences, and take heart that Peter died doing what he loved.

Too many, too soon.

[edit on 8/9/06 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
As it happens, I know one of the members of the Brock family quite well, so this one is very very close to me. To all of the Brock family, please accept my heartfelt condolences, and take heart that Peter died doing what he loved.

Too many, too soon.

So if people started saying right now on TV and on ATS that they could`nt give a s@*t that Peter`s dead because all he really did was create hoons drag racing around the streets possibly through that has killed many people you would no doubt consider it very low form,as i do and many do toward Greer and a member here on ATS.

There are more appropriate times to voice ones negative heartless opinion,agreed?

An article on Greer,certainly not someone i`d consider a genius,but most people would still be decent enough not to laugh in her families and friends face if she died.
canberra.yourguide.com.au...

Ox

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Ok as I said.. I was working on a tribute to Steve Irwin...
It can be found at the link below

Youtube.com

I just learned about the death of Peter Brock, just this very minute... Living in the USA has it's downfall sometimes....

As I said there is a tribute to Steve in the link above..
I'm sorry to hear the news of Peter Brock.. It's tragic.. I dont see how he was taken to hospital in a stable condition and died later...

R.I.P Brockie... Miss you mate...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join