It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aspirin--what you don't know can kill you...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Most people take an aspirin without giving it a second thought. The American Heart Association even recommends that you take aspirin everyday. But people don't realize how dangerous NSAIDS are.

"NSAIDs stands for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. They are currently the most prescribed medication in the United States. They can also be obtained without a prescription from your local pharmacy or market. Their name reveals their intended use, to combat inflammation. Common brand and prescription NSAIDs are Alleve, aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Bayer, celecoxib --Celebrex�, diclofenac -- Voltaren�, etodolac --Lodine�, fenoprofen -- Nalfon�, indomethacin -- Indocin�, ketoprofen - Orudis�, Oruvail�, ketoralac --Toradol�, oxaprozin -- Daypro�, nabumetone -- Relafen�, sulindac -- Clinoril�, tolmetin -- Tolectin�, rofecoxib -- Vioxx�."

"Recent studies done in premier medical journals have examined the subject of toxicity and death due to NSAID poisoning. The New England Journal of Medicine reported that in 1999 NSAIDs were the cause of death in approximately 16,500 arthritis sufferers. This does not account for the rest of the population that regularly take NSAIDs and do not suffer from arthritis. To put that number in perspective, it was estimated that in 1999, 16,685 died as a result of AIDS. That is only 185 more than deaths resulting from NSAID overuse."

whateverybodyneeds.net...

www.healthsentinel.com...

There are hundreds of articles on the web on this. Search NSAIDs death.

The drug industry keeps on churning and the general public is not given the information they should know.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 07:54 PM
link   
If you're not careful (but you're still alive) you can end up destroying your liver/kidneys from misuse/overuse of NSAID's...

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   
damn, that hurts, guess i will start looking for something different and/or actually get tougher.........................

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Wait, wait wait...before we throw out something that is a perfectly good pharmaceutical, let's ask the following questions:

1. How MUCH aspirin/N-SAID was administered at a time?
2. How LONG was the above dose administered?

As my brother so eloquently points out...if you shove enough of anything up a rat's ass, for long enough, you'll kill him.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Valhall, this isn't an experiment. This is 20, 000 Americans dying every year from taking a drug that they think is safe. I am not saying that people shouldn't use NSAIDs. They should just be made known the risks.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Yes, I understand that, and sorry if my brother's colloquialism lost my point. We do not know if these people were taking more than the recommended daily dose. We really don't know what the factors were.

I am personally connected with some one who took over 33,000 mg of acetaminophen a day when hooked on Norco for OVER 3 YEARS! YES! They have permanent liver damage. Word up...that's because they were overdosing daily for 3 years on the stuff.

Also, unknown to a lot of people there can be SEVERE side effects because of interaction between N-SAIDs and other medications.

This does NOT mean that N-SAIDS are bad drugs, it means some pharmacist didn't do his job (OR the patient didn't inform the doctor or pharmacist of other drugs being taken).

My point is, we need to know more before we start advising people to stop taking what has been a VERY effective class of drugs.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I don't agree with any kind of drugs err except maybe weed heh. hey i live in BC!! Anyways as i was saying drugs are bad they destroy your liver and other important organs, not to mention Antibiotics. I prefer the more Natural ways of healing oneself like Bentonite Clay, Liquid Acidophilus, Biotin, and various other herbs.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yes they are effective. And I am sure the majority of the people that die from gastrointestinal bleeding probably popped them like they were pez. I don't know for sure if they realized the potential harm of their actions.

I wouldn't even suggest that they should be banned. I just want people to know that there are side effects to these things and they don't put dosages on the bottle because they need to fill up room on a label.

[Edited on 10-11-2003 by greenkoolaid]

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Asprin is to be used in these quantities:

1g (2x500gms) every 4-6hrs AS AN WHEN REQUIRED!

No more than 6-8 tabs per 24hrs.

You should not take Asprin or Asprin containing products if u pregnant or have anything wrong with ur major organs especially ur heart!

Remember asprin thins ur blood down...its main treatment is for DVT and Blood Clots.

Also...never give to children under 12yrs old!

[Edited on 10-11-2003 by Gryffen]

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
What i don't understand is that the Gov't in Canada is trying to put a ban on herbs. Im not talking about effedra although i have nothing against it at all, its stupid people who do stupid things and end up dead because of it that the rest of us have to suffer for it. In fact i read about something a year ago, in Australia it's illegal to sell Vitamin C with more than 250 milligrams in it. Why are they censoring Vit C??? It's just weird IMHO. I'm sure they'd much rather us eat altered foods and take their prescribed drugs instead, Power and $$$ thats all the Gov't care about.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I believe high levels of Vitamin C can cause constipation. I don't know why that would make them restrict how it can be sold.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
I believe high levels of Vitamin C can cause constipation. I don't know why that would make them restrict how it can be sold.

Vit C can certainly do the opposite as well i used to take 6 a day and never had problems with it

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'm allergic to aspirin to begin with (I have G6PD), so this really doesn't phase me. Interesting, none-the-less.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I remember hearing something about people who pop asprin without water and how dangerous it is, i'd like to find some info on it so if anyone can find a link to that would be much appreciated!

[Edited on 11-11-2003 by Sapphire]

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I don't think that all the patient education in the world by doctors/pharmacists/nurses could make people take Aspirin properly. Most people (and I've been guilty of thinking this way myself) think - "Oh, it's only an over-the-counter medication, and if 1 works great, 2 or 3 will work even better..."

*snorts*

Not the brightest crayon in the box... Can't believe I just admitted that, LOL!

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
This does NOT mean that N-SAIDS are bad drugs, it means some pharmacist didn't do his job (OR the patient didn't inform the doctor or pharmacist of other drugs being taken).

My point is, we need to know more before we start advising people to stop taking what has been a VERY effective class of drugs.

Re 9:21 and they did not repent of their murders nor of their sorceries nor of their immorality nor of their thefts.

The word translated sorcery here is the Greek word Pharmakeia which means to make or administer drugs and medicine. It is also used for poisoning. It was the sorcerers that did this in the time of John and was often connected to idolatry. Man learned the art of pharmakeia by the fallen angels, together with abortion, astrology, chanting and weapons of war. Pharmakeia comes from from pharmakon which was the word they used for people who made medicine and magical potions. Pharmacy is Pharmakeia in English. Lukas who wrote the gospel of Luke and Acts could possibly be called a pharmakon in Greece. Go figure....

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Aspirin isnt all bad though...but all kind of medicin has its effects and some people are more sensitive against some pills.

Or is it just a way to keep the population down

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sapphire
I remember hearing something about people who pop asprin without water and how dangerous it is, i'd like to find some info on it so if anyone can find a link to that would be much appreciated!

I've heard of drinking a glass of water with aspirin to lessen stomach irritation. I'm not sure of any other effects. Maybe you're thinking of Alka-Seltzer? You're definitely supposed to let that dissolve before consumption.

I do not take aspirin and rarely do I use any pharmaceutical.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by andhow
I don't think that all the patient education in the world by doctors/pharmacists/nurses could make people take Aspirin properly. Most people (and I've been guilty of thinking this way myself) think - "Oh, it's only an over-the-counter medication, and if 1 works great, 2 or 3 will work even better..."

*snorts*

Not the brightest crayon in the box... Can't believe I just admitted that, LOL!

nice avatar...am i right in judging it to be your resultant formation based on wishful thinking?

aspirine...a very good drug, i myself havent taken anything of the sort ever since i can remember.
aspirine is there when u need it...dont overdose, or the syndromes could worsen when affected by..liver failiure? a classic example

anything else on that note isnt worth mentioning..
Cordially
Cyrus.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   
So are they referring to just regular uncoated aspirin or all types like coated Tylenol gelcaps and the like as well?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join