It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advancement In Stem Cell Research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
U.S. scientists have created human embryonic stem cells without destroying embryos. This is being called a breakthrough because it might get around basic ethical objection to stem cell research. It is being hoped that this will lead to greater public funding for the research. Researchers have generated stem cell culture by taking individual cells from embryos which are not harmed. Previously stem cell research has been done by taking larger masses from embryos which are then lost. It is still believed that hard line critics of stem cell research will be unlikely to accept the manipulation of a single embryonic cell.

www.ft.com
Researchers from Advanced Cell Technology, a US biotech group, have generated stem cell cultures by plucking individual cells from newly fertilised embryos, which are not harmed. Stem cell production until now involved taking larger masses of cells from slightly older embryos, which are inevitably lost.

The discovery “has the potential to play a critical role in the advancement of regenerative medicine”, said Ronald Green, director of Dartmouth College’s Ethics Institute and head of ACT’s independent ethics board.

“It appears to be a way out of the political impasse in the US and elsewhere,” Prof Green added. “I see this as a real opportunity for the Bush administration to address the need for embryonic stem cell lines, while maintaining their ethical position that embryos should not be destroyed to obtain them.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although the idea that this will get around the ethical dilemma of stem cell research, I think that in the end it will be nothing more then a way for some of the politicians to throw a bone to the people who have been lobbying for the research. I don't feel this is going to make a difference with those who are against the research for ethical reasons. I am sure it is a good thing that this method of research has been done, and I am sure it will be used in the future. However I don't think it will make a big difference in the world of finance.

Related News Links:
news.nationalgeographic.com
www.sciam.com
www.cathnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Fears of Terrorism Hide Real Biological Attack, Assault on Voting Rights
Green Eggs and Ham:Stem Cells
More Than 1,000 Katrina Children Still Missing

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Good submission, and great news! Hopefully this can be a way to help cure alot of nasty diseases without having to kill embryos.
Already being discussed here though:

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the responce.

And yes it would always be good to see any of the horrible desisess we have be cured.
But as I said earlier I am not convinced that this is really going to make a difference.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Hear is an artical about the same topic but with a view that might be more commen among the critics of stem cell research.

wpherald.com...

"The experiment itself is gravely unethical, because it involved thawing and manipulating 16 human embryos and then discarding them," Mr. Doerflinger said. "By picking single cells from eight-celled embryos and culturing them overnight, it is possible the researchers created and destroyed as many as 91 additional very early embryos to get two new cell lines."

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Well, that's just rosy isn't it? Instead of saving people's lifes and making medicine so much more better, there is still the gnashing of teeth.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
Well, that's just rosy isn't it? Instead of saving people's lifes and making medicine so much more better, there is still the gnashing of teeth.

Yes MacDonagh, that is right. The thing is so long as we live in a free society it does not matter what you do, weather it be cure desise, solve the national defesit, or bring world peace, there will always be some groop that would opose it. Yes I know I am way over simply-fing things. But that is the way it seems to happen.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I think they just want some sort of measure of control on what is happening in today's world. Sadly, they are just stopping progress being made.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
I think they just want some sort of measure of control on what is happening in today's world. Sadly, they are just stopping progress being made.

MacDonagu,
That is an interesting thought. I had not considered it, but I probalby should have. As a general rule many people do just try to keep control over everything so this would be no exception. Once again I just dont see the critics of this ever changeing.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
why does everyone insisit on fighting for baby harvesting embryonic cells while ignoring stem cells from umbilical cords and the recent Australian (IIRC) breakthrough that allowed adult donor cells to be taken from the person they were meant to cure?

Instead, the march goes on to force research onto a slippery slope of misguided optimism and disgusting ethics. And more political spin by the power mongers who want to turn it all into a religious issue.

The adult stem cell conversion offers better promise (because its the *only* technology that addresses the issue of tissue rejection) and has absolutely no moral issues.

Why the continued love affair with parts from fetuses?

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet

The adult stem cell conversion offers better promise (because its the *only* technology that addresses the issue of tissue rejection) and has absolutely no moral issues.

Why the continued love affair with parts from fetuses?

Phugedboudet,
as I recall it is the embreo stem cells that can mature into any cell needed which is what makes them so valuable. Do the cells from the other areas, the cord, adults also mature in the same way?

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There has been more information relised. Nature has correced some of its langue in another news relice.

At issue is a series of experiments described in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature, in which scientists at Advanced Cell Technology (ACT) in Worcester, Mass., described a method for making stem cells without harming a human embryo. The basic facts of the report remain unchallenged.

For the sorce materal click hear.

new topics

top topics

join