It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Gas, So what. Lets Talk Biodiesel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
I have two diesel rigs:

87 Toyota 4x4 with a Toyota 3L
81 Toyota 2wd longbed with a Toyota 1L

Both purchased with explicit intent to run exclusively biodiesel within 5 years. Each vehicle cost about USD 3000 and the price is actually rising rapidly on these 4 cylinder 80's yota's because of the biodiesel/fuel shortage craze.

I applaud your intent to convert to biodiesel, but a word of caution... On older vehicles (1990 and older) it's common to find natural rubber fuel lines. Biodiesel will cause natural rubber lines to fail, and prior to said failure will most likely put a fair amount of solids into the engine (hopefully just clogging the fuel filter, but injector damage would be a concern). So if you haven't switched your fuel lines to a synthetic rubber, I would suggest doing so. Along the same line of thought, it would be prudent to carry a spare fuel filter or two even after the hose swap. B100 is an incredible powerful solvent, and will clean every last bit of gunk out of your tank, and fuel lines... Older vehicles like yours will have a fair amount of sediment and biologicals. Be prepared.

A $1,000.00 seems a bit steep for a at home bio rig... Most people I know have done it for under $200.00. Also, instead of running an add, I would contact a few local restaurants in person. Speak to the general manager, and set up a collection day, and stick with it... They'll jump at the chance to get rid of their oil for free.

Since we're on the subject of diesels, here's an interesting development that further demonstrates the capability of the diesel engine:

JCB Dieselmax sets land speed record

There's a cool video... And we know how everyone at ATS loves cool videos.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
f-ex www.abovetopsecret.com...

consider the origin of fertilizer and you'll understand that fuel is not our only problem. burning crops is never a good idea - see thread for reasons.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

posted by Long Lance

“ . . consider the origin of fertilizer and you'll understand that fuel is not our only problem. Burning crops is never a good idea - see thread for reasons.

One of my links below says it takes 46 MJ it make a gallon of ethanol, which produces only 30 MJ. This kind of economy only the US Treasury or Archer Daniels Midland can explain.

I don't agree, but it is interesting
www.smokemup.com...

Grow Your Own?
bioenergy.ornl.gov...

Compare Chart
www.baywinds.com...&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4

Heat content of ethanol, 30 MJ 46 MJ per kg of ethanol
MJ = mega joules.

www.energyadvocate.com...

On biodiesel and wind as power sources
www.auri.org...

[edit on 8/29/2006 by donwhite]