It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automotive Forum Petition Thread

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
If this means we're all getting new tin foil cars, hey I'm down.
Come to think of it, that little old Delorean was pretty cool for its day. (Yeah, yeah I know, it was stainless steel, but it did keep the reptilians out.)

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
1989, Subaru XT6
2.7 Liter "Transverse 6"

Pouring oil from somewhere under the engine.

I have checked all the seals and they are fine. 285K miles so I have gotten my use out of it. This is just driving me crazy and I don't want to have to pull the engine except as a last resort.

Here is the funny thing. It only leaks the oil at idle and around town. At Highway speeds, the interstate etc, it uses no oil at all???

My Theory is a lose or worn out center crankshaft bearing? That would mean at high RPM's (Highway speed) it does not vibrate and so forms a seal. At low RPM, it vibrates causing oil to leak....

Anyone ever heard of this???

Semper

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
1989, Subaru XT6
2.7 Liter "Transverse 6"

Pouring oil from somewhere under the engine.

ok , by the numbers :

step one : get the entire engine bay steam cleaned - from above / below - and in through both wheel arches - i mean properly with the velcle on ramps - or axle stands when you do underneath

the engine should be hot when you do this - then it aids drying - also remove any sump guargs or other engibe covers / weatrher sheilds

you want the engine mint .

obviously use some sense with the electronics / ECUs and air intakes etc etc - protect them with plastic bags - do not spray hi pressure get straigh at the etc etc

once the engine has dried - and you get it started again - be prepared to have to use WD40 or other dewatering agent on the ignition and fuel injection wiring connectors

now find the leak - with every cover you an remove safely stripped from the engine - just start it up and run it upto temperature sitting over a pristine section of concrete - and watch the thing like a hawk - you want to be aware of the first drop of oil that leaves the engine - it so good 2 hours later when cooling fans have blown it everywahere .

once you have the general location narrowed down - if it is not obvious just what is leaking - you can yuse " leak finder spray" - it is like a aerosol that deposits a fine white powder coating on the engine - and as soon as oil appears - it obviosly leaves a streak

but the engione needs to be clean and dry .

i have never even seen the car you describe - so cannot make much comment - but i very much doubt your theory about worn crank main bearings - idoes the engine have an oil pressure guage - or just an idiot light ?

based on the symptoms - i would look at the engine crak case breathers first - are they blocked - do they vent into to the atmosphere or into the intake manifold ?

but for a more specific diagnosis - more info required

hop this helps .

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Here are some ideas for finding the leak.

autorepair.about.com...

faq.f650.com...

Google Search

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A GEARHEAD.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Definately a seal or gasket, due to the pressure increase stopping the leak.

I'd look at the the water pump first thing.

:edit: oh, and the drain plug, then the pan.

[edit on 17-11-2006 by nextguyinline]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
See I knew this was the place to go for help...

I have checked all the seals I can without actually doing what I.A. said. So that is my next step..

I.A., last time I had it on a lift and was looking for the leak. It appeared to be coming from the "front." This is a Transverse engine with the calendars running perfectly horizontal, 3 to a side.

I will put her on the lift tomorrow...

Thanks for the help and any other suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Semper

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Another vote for an automotive forum. My areas of interest include non-carbon-producing vehicles such as the new Tesla. I'm also interested in advanced hybrid vehicles such as the Honda Insight, Toyota Prius, etc.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
An automative forum would be cool - especially as a place to discuss what happens to plans for invent eco-friendly cars (the guys who invent them either get paid off by oil companies, or dissapear overnight).

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I vote in favour for this petition

YES YES..!!

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
As long as it will pertain to "above top secret" items in the automotive industry, I'll vote a yes. Could be intersting considering the talents of people here already in the aircraft forum.

However, no one needs another forum where all people do is complain that their 1986 Datsun is only getting 11 miles to the gallon

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiverz
As long as it will pertain to "above top secret" items in the automotive industry....

The proposed automotive forum would be in the BTS domain.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
How come this thread isn't getting locked and told to be added to the "ATS, BTS, What would you like to see in the future?" thread?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This is a Deny Ignorance Steering Committee (DISC) sponsored endeavor.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
So, how far are we towards the goal of having one?

I think it's a good idea.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
How come this thread isn't getting locked and told to be added to the "ATS, BTS, What would you like to see in the future?" thread?

i believe that a senior staff member indicated that the descision to have a new " automotive issues " thread would be influenced in part by how many members reply to this thread - hence it is acting as a crude poll of member interest .

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
"We need 1000 posts to accomplish this request. "

You have 335 posts.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The number required was reduced to 500 and it's still a maybe.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
500 posts or 500 votes? Would posts like the last 5 be counted towards the 500?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
One vote per person.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I vote yes.

An automotive forum would be very useful.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join