It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Texas Men Charged With Terror

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Am I the only person scratching his head on this one? What the hell happened here? Cellphones=terrorist support? Next thing you know they will be stopping a truck carrying stuffed animals saying they were supporting terrorists by giving them tools to hide their explosives in.

As I reread that I am saddened by the fact I could actually see that happening by chance.

That's the thing...they sit in rooms, brain storming, coming up with any way to get er done....
When a Mother is willing to sacrafice her child for the cause , or hispanics allow themselves to be sown into seats of a car to be in the Good ol USA ...then nothing would surprize me. I'm sure they have lists of ways to disable the USA...if nothing more than fear. I, for one, am afraid.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   

www.cbc.ca...

She (his wife) said they travelled to Michigan because the phones were sold out in Dallas.

Hahahahaha
I won't even begin to explain why this is absurd in so many ways.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Im not afraid of the terrorists, Im not afraid of the rules made to stop them. Im afraid of the human beings exerising the rules. A fear that is more justified then any other.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Im afraid of the human beings exerising the rules.

Then whom shall we recruit for the task of enforcing the law? Aliens? Beavers? The terrorists? Oh, yeah, they're human. Well, maybe not.

[edit on 2006/8/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso

www.cbc.ca...

She (his wife) said they travelled to Michigan because the phones were sold out in Dallas.

Hahahahaha
I won't even begin to explain why this is absurd in so many ways.

This was talked about in the news today too, and yes, they confirmed it. They tried to go to Wal-Mart, but thet were sold out. They wanted to re-sell the phones for a $5 profit, to help pay for one of the brother's college tuition.

[edit on 13-8-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I'm surpised that no mention has been made of violating interstate commerce codes.

I would have assumed that they were buying the phones in one state at a lower sales tax rate, and reselling them in a state with different sales tax or rates, and pocketing the difference as profit. I think that can be illegal.

I don't understand what is so innocent about owning a thousand track phones. How much of a market for them is there, really. I think my walmart probably has 10 or 20 on display (in texas!). How many flea markets would you have to hit in order to unload a THOUSAND of the thingamabobs?

Have they done this before? Or have they not sold even a SINGLE trac-fone, hinting that selling them was not really a plan, just an excuse if they were caught?

Buying a thousand of them sounds to me like a terror network wants some trac fones. They figure that DHS can track a bunch of them, once the "mules" are caught (as they were in michigan); but who knows which ones of the thousands are in the hands of terrorist operatives, and which one is purchased by my wife's uncle Ghossan at the local trader days?

It sounds like a needle in a haystack to me.

Those who are screaming about oppression, let me ask this: What WOULD have been a justafiable reason to arrest these dudes? Do you have to catch them with the precursors to explosives? Or do you wait for them to succeed?

The critics of police work are generally NEVER satisfied. The police are either TOO FAST, or TOO SLOW. If their work fails, it must mean they are incompitent. When their work succeeds, then they are fascist bullies who are framing the innocent.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Please tell me how much more a phone is worth without a charger??

Many were separated from their battery packs and the chargers were discarded.

source

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
There is something else I have been pondering over this. When in come to smugleing, the government usually says, thet for every one the catch there are about ten that get through. So if this and the few others are large cell phone purchesess are the ones they caught, how many have they not caught?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Grady,

I'm not out of touch. I just dont believe everything i hear. Is that being out of touch?
We've had these so-called thousands of cell phones purchases before and there was nothing to them.

BOO!

Sorry, but they're for resale. Nothing more, nothing less. Did you hear, someone went to a CVS and bought all their disposable cameras????
Now THERE'S something we should all worry about.

People buying water will be investigated next. Nuts.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
If these tracphones are such hot commodities among the terrorist jetset, then why are they still being sold?

from the information presented, it appears that their is very little legitimate use for these, other than for terrorism reasons (hence all the assumptions of motive)...

I would be surprised to learn that anyone other than a terrorist would own one of these... because afterall, why would someone care about being traced, or bugged, unless they were doing terrorist activities...

Also, there are hundreds of thousands of these out there right now...
untraceable phones... all obviously being used to threaten our interests of freedom...

EEP

No, no my friends... lets think about this a little more than your average investigator trying to earn a raise...

With so many other reasons to want one, it seems like a stretch to assume that they are used for terrorist reasons...
what about cheating husbands/wifes, that dont want to be traced
what about drug dealers?
what about paranoids?
what about industry higher ups avoiding corporate espionage?
what about people who just cant afford or get credit for a regular cell phone?
that is just scratching the surface of other reasons (some legal, some not)

Nah, they are all terrorists...

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Pesky terrorists? Can you really be so out of touch with the circumstances of the day that you would consider a van full of cellphones owned by "middle eastern types" to not be suspicious?

About as suspicious as a black man driving a nice car?

Get him he must be a drug dealer.

I'm afraid to raise my kids in a world with this type of thinking more than anything.

[edit on 14-8-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I am goign to buy a tracphone next week. Yes some people do go to the inner city indoor flea markets to sell these phones at a small markup which is compensated for by the bulk quantity. Its the Wal-Mart system, volume = profit.

I do not know about many of you guys, but I personally know 12 people who sell dope, and not one of them has a trac phone. In fact most of the dope dealers usually have the most expensive phones with the nicest features. Of course I am only implying the small time street hustler, but I seriously doubt the big fish need trac phones to handle their deals.

I work at Wal-Mart right bext to the electronics area. The biggest customer I have seen by far that buys trac phones are young adults/teenagers/children. They do not have to have any kind of credit or meet a minimum age requirement to sign contracts. They just buy, activate, and use it at school. Indoor inner city flea markets are a great place to sell these things because todays middle and high schoolers go there to buy most of their trendy clothes. Why not pick-up a phone they can just buy and use without no paperwork while they are there?

Seriously thats how it is. The faact that they are easily replaced gives people the ability to just break or lose them frequently creating a larger returning customer base.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Grady I applaud your profiling. Thats why everytime I walk by a middle-aged white man, perhaps sometimes with glasses, I get worried that he may be a serial killer. Sometimes I consider calling the police to report the suspected act of being a middle aged white man minding his own business, since he obviously meets the profile for serial killer. These men terrorize me so much, I even consider calling them terrorists. We must come down on all people filling the demographic profile of serial killer I am sure.

I wonder why the US produces more serial killers than anyone else in the world anyways?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I wonder why the US produces more serial killers than anyone else in the world anyways?
Better schools is my guess.

I am torn on this issue. Yeah the activity is suspicious, but it is not illegal. Survail them closely to see where these phones are going before arresting people. If the feds think you are suspect of something, they get all the info about you before they crash the door in. I have to wonder if these guys were being watched, and if there is more to the story. If this was a bust just on possession, I think I have a problem with that. Grady I have come to respect you over time, but I think you are wrong on this one.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
If we are going by a legal standpoint here, the government has to have evidence of the phones being altered for purposes not originally manufactured for. Either way they are not in Cuba yet, so I have hope that the judicial system will at least be followed appropriately.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Im afraid of the human beings exerising the rules.

Then whom shall we recruit for the task of enforcing the law? Aliens? Beavers? The terrorists? Oh, yeah, they're human. Well, maybe not.

how about yourself. Get your gun, get the people you trust (family), and put as much into your own security as you want. Your free to do so. Your free to spy on whoever you want, so long as you dont start violating rights like taking property of theirs for investigation etc.

Im so sick of people saying "who will protect us!!??" why not yourself? Its called priorities. If you want to hand your own individual freedom over to a private group that protects people in its own slice of land in the USA, then be my guest. Why don't you all get together, move to washington state, buy up all the land, and secure the hell out of it all you want. Hey give all your rights to a group that runs things there. Your welcome to do that in the USA, but your not welcome to give away other peoples freedoms.

Go make a big society of your own, where anybody can join, where you have it on complete lockdown when it comes to security. have a ball, just leave me and everyone else out of it.

I will stick to my security, a gun. For the instance I cant save myself, well thats called life. People die in this world, and they always will. I will protect myself however I can, and thats as far as it goes for me. I dont need anymore protection then that. federal government can watch out for the international missles, Ill watch my neighborhood. That that as far as I am concerned, dont like it? Well guess what, you have the freedom to do so, but nothing more (like taking away my freedom to choose that).

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The FBI just released the Arab terror suspects with the 1000 cell phones citing no connection to terrorist organizations. This according to my earthlink crawler.

Comments all you scaredy cats............

[edit on 14-8-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Surprise surprise. Hyped up terror alert turns out to be nothing of the sort, but the masses at large get just a little more used to living with the "reality" of an unseen ever present enemy. I wonder what next? It will be interesting to see how many convictions arise as a result of the UK's terror alert.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com...

CARO, Mich. - The FBI said Monday it had no information to indicate that the three Texas men arrested with about 1,000 cell phones in their van had any direct connection to known terrorist groups.

See how they just ruined three peoples lives. Nothing new here.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SweetAnn
When a Mother is willing to sacrafice her child for the cause , or hispanics allow themselves to be sown into seats of a car to be in the Good ol USA ...then nothing would surprize me. I'm sure they have lists of ways to disable the USA...if nothing more than fear. I, for one, am afraid.

SweetAnn,
Dont let your self be afraid. When you are afraid you have already let them who would do you harm win. Over the last few years I have felt many emotions, but fear was not one of them. I wont let those who would do me harm win by way of fear of them.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join