It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The UN Resolution Worth The Paper Its Written On?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   

The agreement calls for putting 30,000 Lebanese and U.N. troops along the Israel-Lebanon border, where Hezbollah militants have been fighting against Israel. It falls short of some of Israel's demands, including a strong mandate for the U.N. forces to take on Hezbollah guerrillas. But Israel has been unable to defeat Hezbollah and was concerned about growing Israeli casualties, as well as international condemnation, if the war continued. The fighting has killed more than 800 people, destroyed Lebanon's infrastructure and inflamed tensions across the Middle East.

The situation tonight in Israel has become confused, verging on the chaotic. Israeli ministers are publicly feuding. The government is saying that the assault into Lebanon will definitely be rolling tonight while it has simultaneously implied that it intends to accept the UN cease-fire resolution. Leaders of IDF are demanding to be unleashed while some government members say they have lost confidence in the military.

There are two basic schools of thought. One argues Israel cannot defeat Hezbollah without incurring unacceptable losses and winding up in a counterinsurgency situation like America is experiencing in Iraq. The other school argues that the price of accepting a cease-fire that leaves Hezbollah intact is much higher than the cost of war.

The cease-fire appears to be rather extraordinary. It lacks a timetable and turns over the problem of disarming Hezbollah to the Lebanese government, which probably has neither the means nor the appetite for the job. In the unlikely event that this is achieved, French forces would then join the existing UN force. They would have the authority to actively suppress any breaches of the cease-fire.

Hezbollah has achieved an extraordinary degree of success. It has fought the much touted IDF to a draw. The Israelis clearly are concerned about the price of going up against it. It has also created a political crisis in Israel, while its base remains firm. Hezbollah's strategy has worked thus far, establishing it as the most effective force ever to confront the Israelis. Say hello Iran, hello Syria, Goodby Bush43.

Benjamin Netanyahu, the recently elected leader of Likud, has remained silent, holding off criticizing the government. He has even restrained his colleagues. Clearly, he does not want to destabilize the government yet, at the same time, his relative steadfastness while the government tries to sort things out looks odd for him.

The Israeli leadership seems genuinely concerned about something. It is not clear what it is. Obviously, the government doesn't want to take casualties, but this is not a political problem. The public can deal with casualties as long as the mission - in this case destroying Hezbollah as a fighting force - is accomplished.

The invasion of Lebanon in force was expected 2 weeks ago. Something is holding the Israelis back. Hezbollah has fought well, but it is hard to believe the Israelis can't defeat them or that Israel can't take casualties. Iran and Hezbollah, who are accepting a cease-fire in order to claim victory, have remained silent while the UN debated.

As the pressure to act mounted and Israel does not act, the question of what is restraining them becomes increasingly important. Olmert is acting as if he doesn't want to become too aggressive. The reason is unclear. While there are those who would argue that Israel's inability to decide clearly on a path is simply cover for actions that have gone well beyond that. Hezbollah is not being rattled at all. The Israelis are.

What if someone has a tossed “loose nuke” in the gam? This might explain why the IDF has not pushed aggressively into Lebanon as we feel they are capable of doing. The Israeli public seems to back any action the IDF wants to take. But what if the IDF has been warned, by Iran, for example, that Hezbollah will be given a 10 kiloton nuke and the meant to put it right on Tel Aviv? That’s what I’m thinking.

[edit on 8/11/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
No Un resolution has ever proven to be worth anything.

I mean, look how many UN resolutions have been passed against israel, and how many have actually been enforced?

www.action-for-un-renewal.org.uk...

I suppose another one added to the pile wont hurt, and will certainly help Israel out with toilet paper shortages.

Lets not forget the resolutions passed regarding Iraq, either.

The UN is useless.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

No UN resolution has ever proven to be worth anything. I mean, look how many UN resolutions have been passed against Israel, and how many have actually been enforced? Lets not forget the resolutions passed regarding Iraq, either.

The UN is useless.

[Edited by Don W]

Well, I’m not sure that “no” resolution has proved not to be worth anything. After all, that means you’d lose if I could recall just 1.

The US has consistently backed the Israeli position, and for much of the time - before 1991 - the Cold War prompted the US itself to ignore resolutions it did not like. The Russian had outmaneuvered us in the General Assembly for a long time. It was only our veto in the Security Council that kept us from being expelled.

The UN is the world’s best hope. If we did not have it today, we’d have to invent it.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_ElfThe UN is useless.

With all due respect, the UN was created in order to prevent another war on the European continent from killing hundreds of millions of people. So far it has worked, but at times it has failed. As of now, with the UN focusing on Iran, North Korea, Israel and Iraq, I would venture to say they are straying from their original goal.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
With countries like Israel totally disregarding Resolutions and with The USA intentionally blocking many on her behalf with over 30 of those being vetoed , no one in their right mind would or should pay attention.

If this little pint sized country is under no obligation to abide by the rules why would any other country do so. If anyone spoiled the UN its the USA with moves like that.

Tzipi Livni has been held back from going to take part in the cease fire talks. Since she was against the war immediately following the 2nd day of fighting Olmert wouldn't allow her to take part in the talks.

Pie

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The Israeli public in the centre area (tel aviv) coulden't give less of a # ,they are mostly known as lefties ,and if something happns near them (in the form of a bomb/attack) they just take thiere green cards and fly away.

The public in the north,however (the brave few that are actully there) support the war,or at least The return of the kidnapped soldiers ,and the placment of some international force on the border,before our army will back off.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Thought I would post this on here if it's ok.

Presidential Response:
I welcome the resolution adopted yesterday by the United Nations Security Council, which is designed to bring an immediate end to the fighting sparked last month by an unprovoked terrorist attack on Israel by Hizballah, a terrorist group supported by Iran and Syria. The United States and its allies have been working hard since the beginning of this conflict to create the conditions for an enduring ceasefire and prevent armed militias and foreign-sponsored terrorist groups like Hizballah from sparking another crisis.

Yesterday's resolution aims to end Hizballah's attacks on Israel and bring a halt to Israel's offensive military operations. It also calls for an embargo on the supply of arms to militias in Lebanon, for a robust international force to deploy to southern Lebanon in conjunction with Lebanon's legitimate armed forces, and for the disarming of Hizballah and all other militia groups operating in Lebanon. These steps are designed to stop Hizballah from acting as a state within a state, and put an end to Iran and Syria's efforts to hold the Lebanese people hostage to their own extremist agenda. This in turn will help to restore the sovereignty of Lebanon's democratic government and help ensure security for the people of Lebanon and Israel.

The loss of innocent life in both Lebanon and Israel has been a great tragedy. Hizballah and its Iranian and Syrian sponsors have brought an unwanted war to the people of Lebanon and Israel, and millions have suffered as a result. I now urge the international community to turn words into action and make every effort to bring lasting peace to the region.
www.whitehouse.gov...

Anti-Israeli sentiment not withstanding, Hezbollah is a terrorist organization. How else can you describe an organization that indiscriminately lobs missiles into a country? That hides behind civilians so that all of the nay sayers can blame Israel?

What good is a UN resolution? Exactly as good as the UN, Useless!!! What will terrorist care about a resolution when they have no regard for human life at all? As long as you are obeying their religious edicts, not a jew and not supporting Israel, then you are fine by them.

I guess I'm not fine by them.

Semper

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

How else can you describe an organization that indiscriminately lobs missiles into a country? That hides behind civilians so that all of the nay sayers can blame Israel?

many call them freedom fighters. the way they see it, israel is occupying their land.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
With all due respect Semperfortis, this is the first resolution (in the ME area) that has ever had any teeth in it--at least theoretically. For the first time, the U.N. Force will be authorized to take active measures against violators of the new resolution. What that translates into is that the U.N. troops will be a military force and not a police/observer force. It is simply far to early yet to know whether or not the resolution will work.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
My question is: Why so long?

I do not understand why the U.N. is taking so long.

Fat white rich guys are eating donuts at the U.N. while war rages on in the middle east.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
the UN always takes too long. they're like a bunch of women eating lunch together but this goes on for months.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Anti-Israeli sentiment not withstanding, Hezbollah is a terrorist organization.

Well, only according to Israel, the US and Canada. The rest of the world doesn't class Hezbollah as a terrorist organisation at all.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Thought I would post this on here if it's ok.

Presidential Response:
I welcome the resolution adopted yesterday by the United Nations Security Council, which is designed to bring an immediate end to the fighting sparked last month by an unprovoked terrorist attack on Israel by Hizballah, a terrorist group supported by Iran and Syria. The United States and its allies have been working hard since the beginning of this conflict to create the conditions for an enduring ceasefire and prevent armed militias and foreign-sponsored terrorist groups like Hizballah from sparking another crisis.

Yesterday's resolution aims to end Hizballah's attacks on Israel and bring a halt to Israel's offensive military operations. It also calls for an embargo on the supply of arms to militias in Lebanon, for a robust international force to deploy to southern Lebanon in conjunction with Lebanon's legitimate armed forces, and for the disarming of Hizballah and all other militia groups operating in Lebanon. These steps are designed to stop Hizballah from acting as a state within a state, and put an end to Iran and Syria's efforts to hold the Lebanese people hostage to their own extremist agenda. This in turn will help to restore the sovereignty of Lebanon's democratic government and help ensure security for the people of Lebanon and Israel.

The loss of innocent life in both Lebanon and Israel has been a great tragedy. Hizballah and its Iranian and Syrian sponsors have brought an unwanted war to the people of Lebanon and Israel, and millions have suffered as a result. I now urge the international community to turn words into action and make every effort to bring lasting peace to the region.
www.whitehouse.gov...

Anti-Israeli sentiment not withstanding, Hezbollah is a terrorist organization. How else can you describe an organization that indiscriminately lobs missiles into a country? That hides behind civilians so that all of the nay sayers can blame Israel?

Amazing ! No where is Israel mentioned for any cause of damage or loss of life. Why would I think you would post nothing less?

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
And Pieman,

I'm only surprised it took so long for you took make your comment.

As I wrote the post, I chuckled at what I knew to be YOUR obvious response. Your as easy to read as a child's book.

Semper

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Once AGAIN, discuss the topic, not each other.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
*yawn* I suppose we'll just wait and see. However considering the U.N.'s track record I don't have high expectations for this resolution nor the United Nation's performance. Hezbollah and Israel's enemies have already won anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Sorry Intrepid...

With all due respect Semperfortis, this is the first resolution (in the ME area) that has ever had any teeth in it--at least theoretically. For the first time, the U.N. Force will be authorized to take active measures against violators of the new resolution. What that translates into is that the U.N. troops will be a military force and not a police/observer force. It is simply far to early yet to know whether or not the resolution will work.

Astronomer, I think that as is usual, the intent is there, but the UN is notorious for not following through. In fact never following through. I am all for disbanding them, or at least evicting them.

Well, only according to Israel, the US and Canada. The rest of the world doesn't class Hezbollah as a terrorist organisation at all.

That's funny.
Their name means "Party of God," there goal, the eradication of a People, their tools terror.
hmmmmmm

Hezbollah is a Lebanese umbrella organization of radical Islamic Shiite groups and organizations. It opposes the West, seeks to create a Muslim fundamentalist state modeled on Iran, and is a bitter foe of Israel. Hezbollah, whose name means “party of God,” is a terrorist group believed responsible for nearly 200 attacks since 1982 that have killed more than 800 people, according to the Terrorism Knowledge Base. Experts say Hezbollah is also a significant force in Lebanon’s politics and a major provider of social services, operating schools, hospitals, and agricultural services, for thousands of Lebanese Shiites. It also operates the al-Manar satellite television channel and broadcast station.www.cfr.org...

And from an Iranian Newspaper :

Captured Hezbollah terrorist trained in Iran
Aug 8, 2006

A Hezbollah fighter captured by Israel has told interrogators he received training in Iran and arrived there on a flight from Syria, a tape of the interrogation released by the Israeli army showed yesterday.

During questioning the man also said he took part in the cross-border raid on July 12 in which two Israeli soldiers were captured, the incident that sparked the current conflict.

"We trained in Iran," the man, who gave his name as Mahmoud Ali Suleiman, told the interrogator. "We went from Beirut in civilian cars ... to the airport in Damascus."

Suleiman, who gave his age as 22, said between 40 and 50 people went with him for the training, which involved instruction in the use of anti-tank weapons. He didn't say when the training took place or how long it lasted.

The tape shown on Israeli television appeared to be heavily edited, and some answers were cut off in mid-sentence. He appeared to have light bruises or wounds on his cheeks and lips.www.iranian.ws...

Seems even Iran considers them terrorists. Or at least they label them as such.

Now I can see where those that worship the Wiki would be confused, but that is due mainly to the massive amount of extraneous material that individuals put there. Dig a little deeper and all becomes clear.

Semper

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Semper,

Didn't quite get your point that you try to make there. I re-itterate, Hezbollah are only considered terrorist by 3 countries in the world, the rest consider them a Geurilla movement.

How is providing a link from the Council of Foreign Relations, a think tank that is responsible for the disastrous US Foreign policy, proving anything? Also, they state 200 attacks have killed 800 people. Nice attempt at spin, but it fails to mention that those 800 people were nearly all IDF soldiers in Lebanon!

As for your dubious "Iranian" webiste (from Western Samoa)..Not sure why you posted that, to be honest. What was said is hardly news and I didn't see a single use of the word Terrorist....

Try again, sunshine.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Other countries, including the US, Canada, the Netherlands, Australia, and Israel consider Hezbollah to be -completely or partly- a terrorist organization

en.wikipedia.org...

Key word being other countries. That is from your precious Wiki. as you seem to doubt real sources, yet I have found this to be standard on here. Doubt any source that disagrees with your opinion, instead of keeping an open mind and reading. So on here your in good company, the real world, well that is a different story altogether.

The fact is the countries that do not consider Hezbollah terrorists, are those that have either directly, indirectly, in the past or currently support the destruction of a country. Namely Israel; or those that sponsor terrorism. The countries that have condemned the actions of terrorists all are in agreement.

You can hook your wagon to China and Russia if you so desire. I am an American and support her and our allies. Where your allegiances lie is your business.

Oh yeah, as for the word terrorist, look at the title of the piece.

Semper

[edit on 8/13/2006 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   
What you on about, "My precious Wiki"... Never used a Wiki source in this thread at all mate, so climb down and back off.

In that snippit you posted, the keyword is actually "partly". Only 3 countries have Hezbollah officially listed as a terrorist org.

I also think it is a bit rich for America to lecture others on who is a terroist org and who isn't, seeing as for years until only recently, your own President used to host dinners with Sinn Fein's Gerry Adam's et al.

I see your happy to throw the Terrorist label around when it suits you, but you'll also happily sponsor and support the IRA either directly or indirectly though Sinn Fein. Thats really standing by your allies, isn't it.

Cheers, best years of my life, 1980's Northern Ireland, I thank you for it, I mean, what a Great Ally your are

Your saying the rest of the 200 or so nations that don't all support the destruction of nations/Israel/Mickey Mouse or whatever?

Ok!
Does that include the UK? Italy? Ireland? The list goes on....

As for the title of the peace, that is hardly indicative of "Iran" or "Iranians" calling them terrorists. I think this site is an Iranian dissident site, seeing as it is hosted in Western Samoa, so I hardly think it is unbiased.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join