It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does anyone remember the story of robin hood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
steal from the rich and give to the poor! this is what should be going on now we must rebalence the earth.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Um yeah.

And stealing is wrong. I do not believe that stealing from the rich to give to the poor rebalances the earth. In fact, it does the opposite. Nature is based on inequality amd strife.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
your right stealing is wrong?

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseekerpeacemaker
steal from the rich and give to the poor! this is what should be going on now we must rebalence the earth.

Wouldn't 'rebalancing the earth' involve using and maintaining natural cycles and processes? Like survival of the fittest?

I didn't start out with a silver spoon in my mouth. Quite the opposite, my parents were lower middle class blue collar living in a modest home in a modest neighborhood. Through their sacrifice and values I went to college, got a good paying job, worked hard, and saved and invested all my life. Now I am in an enviable position of semi-retired with an income in the top 15% of all households (U.S. census data) and personal wealth in the top 10%. Not 'rich', but very comfortable.

I not only resent, I LOATHE anyone who says I am wrong to be at this station in my life because others have less. I got here through sweat and keeping my eyes on a long term goal. I had no more opportunities than anyone else. I just took advantage of the same opportunities available to everyone. I am not in favor of transferring some of my assets to someone who is stuck in the lower rung of the ladder because of laziness and bad choices earlier in life.

If that makes me a villian, then so be it. I am perfectly contented to be in that role, even proud of it.

BTW -- my daughter is even further ahead of where I was at her age.
(proud Dad!)

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I AM NOT RICH INFACT I DONT HAVE A DOLLAR TO MY NAME RIGHT NOW AND PROBALLY JUST AS COMPROFTABLE AS YOU ARE? THE POINT IS I NOW HOW TO LIVE WITHOUT THE NEED OF MONEY OR THINGS WICH HAVE NO REAL VALUE. ITS ALL ABOUT BALANCE. AND A LITTLE LOVE.

[edit on 11-8-2006 by truthseekerpeacemaker]

mod edit:

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette (review link)
4) Most of all, do not use ALL CAPS in posts and thread titles.

[edit on 14-8-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Can you stop posting in all caps, please? Its annoying.

And Im quite happy you can live as you choose. However, by your arguement, there is no need to steal from the rich and give to the poor, because you obviously live quite well by your own admission, withy no money at all.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseekerpeacemaker
steal from the rich and give to the poor! this is what should be going on now

Um, no.

Well, not unless I get to decide who's rich and poor. I don't know about rebalancing, (when the heck was it ever balanced in the first place??), but I sure could use some of the rich's money.

But, in all likelyhood, I won't be chosen by the proletariate to act as teh redistributor of wealth, but rather someone more capable of manipulating them into stealing for himself will.

I DONT HAVE A DOLLAR TO MY NAME RIGHT NOW

Then where the heck are you posting from?
ANd isn't it convenient that someone without any money wants to take money from those that have it and give it to himself?

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
A long time ago I also thought that a modern Robin Hood is exactly what the world needs. I mean, I know the "American Way of Life" (which I also have been told of at some early point in English classes) is, as Michael Moore stated, just a propaganda trick (based on puritan belief): keep your feet still, it's in your very hands to come from rags to riches ("from dishwasher to millionaire", as we say in German) through hard labor and persistence. It's a lie so you don't revolt against the "rich". Only few have the chance. If everyone had, there would be no economical pyramid.

But then I thought about it. Sure, money is just a tool, it is a unit to measure my work time and I can change a certain amount of work time and aquire food, housing and also a certain level of luxury - electricity for example, and even a computer with DSL. And it is, maybe, even very rightful for me to expect a higher level of luxury (a bigger flat, for example, when 22 m² just ain't enough) when I work more and harder.

But let me play the devil's advocate. Is it okay that 10% of all inhabitants of this planet possess 90% of all the money? Please don't pin me down on exact numbers, I'm too lazy to do the research - it's 2:30 in the morning and I'm half asleep already. But I'm sure it's even more drastic than that. I think Robin Hood wouldn't even have a second to think about Maid Marian these times.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Steal from the rich and give to the poor? I never really considered the governments of the world who collect taxes to fund social programs modern-day Robin Hoods.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akareyon
Is it okay that 10% of all inhabitants of this planet possess 90% of all the money?

Sure, why not? I mean, its certainly 'fair' that people that work to build fortunes should keep them.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Let's assume I agree with you. I'd ask if you agree with me that money rules the planet. If so, 10% of all earthlings have power over the 90 other percent. That is fair by the very same standard: why shouldn't those WITH money, who have proven themselves worthy of those riches by year-long labour, have more say than those WITHOUT money, i.e. those who were, obviously, just too lazy to work for their money or didn't try hard enough?

In other words: being better (which is measured in work, time and effort) than 9 others entitles one to control them economically?

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Working to make yourself the fortune you feel you deserve from your labour is fine.

Making a fortune at the expense of others is wrong.

Robin hood was much more than "take from the rich, give to the poor".

Robin Hood is a figure in archetypal English folk tales, whose story goes back to medieval times. In popular culture he is painted as a man known for robbing the rich to provide for the poor and fighting against injustice and tyranny

en.wikipedia.org...

The principal was mostly to do with breaking free of tyranny and slavery and illegal taxes put upon the citizens by the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Whether Robin hood and his merry men actually existed and fought the fight is neither here nor there, the idea of it all is more important. Particularly if you look at the story in comparison to todays global struggles and the NWO.

It's the point of RFID and ID cards to prevent further Robin hoods from even having a chance to bring down a corrupt, illegal, corporate system.

It would seem the majority of us who grew up reading the stories, watching the films of Robin and his gang, have completely forgotten the point of te story, or fail to recognize its importance at this time.

The same goes for Guy Fawkes who tried to destroy parliament.

The Gunpowder Plot of 1605, or the Powder Treason, as it was known at the time,[1] was a failed attempt by a group of provincial English Catholics to kill King James I of England and VI of Scotland, his family, and most of the Protestant aristocracy in a single attack by blowing up the Houses of Parliament during the State Opening on 5 November 1605. The conspirators had also planned to abduct the royal children, not present in Parliament, and incite a revolt in the Midlands.

en.wikipedia.org...

The fantastic film V for Vndetta was a kick up the bottom to re-install the ideals that many have long fought for, and many have died for.

In the story, Robin and his men were outlaws, living in Sherwood forest. They were outcasts in their own country, hunted by a corrupt Sheriff and all had a price on their heads.

But they were free men. They lived off the land, and also from the 'riches' they were supposed to have taken from the Sheriff whilst sharing it all with the poor.

Robin must have known he could not give it all away as he had to ensure his men were fed, clothed and armed.

Was he a terrorist? In the eyes of the Sheriff, yes, but not to the citizens.

Is it time for the revival of stories and people like Robin hood and Guy Fawkes? I would certainly hope so.

Although these stories go much deeper in the actual way of events the principle remains the same.

Men with the courage and conviction to stand up for what they believed they were fighting for - Freedom

Another notable is Sir William Wallace (Latin: Villemus Valensis) (c. 1272–76 – 23 August 1305) was a knight and Scottish patriot who led a resistance against the English occupation of Scotland during the Wars of Scottish Independence.

He responded to the treason charge, "I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject."

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm surprised that the ideas behind these men, and these mens names, are not called into action more often.
It seems the legend of King Arthur returning when England is in time of need is stronger than the fight for freedom.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Redistribution of the world wealth would definitely be a good thing for the most but it's not going to happen. If you were a self made millionnaire, how would you like having your money taken from you.. not fair in my opinion. We need to rely on the goodwill of people and more help from the rich. Taking their money from them is not going to help matters.

top topics

join