It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you relate to the subject at hand thread! TRY IT :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Ok this is very simple guys, every post will have a subject in it, you can have one word or two words or a 100 words to describe it.

so on your post you say a subject at hand is---, and the next person to reply just tries to find a internet site relevant to that subject, if not just say something and make a new subject.

its too simple, and its fun and will let us, well just have a little fun with ourselves........

so my subject at hand is a:

stick

[edit on 7-8-2006 by ragster]

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
okay, I'll bite:

www.stick.com...

feather dusters....

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
ok www.etropicals.com...
its a sea plant

ok, hotdog

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ragster
ok, hotdog

For more than you ever wanted to know about this domestic delicasy:
whatscookingamerica.net...

next let's try flux capacitor. (saw that phrase somewhere here on ATS. Don't know what it is myself, though; and not really interested enough to find out)

[edit on 8/8/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 05:37 AM
link   
www.afrotechmods.com...

it is a remote control time travel device car..... w00t!!!

defintition of flux capacitor-
en.wikipedia.org...

GO DOC!!!!!

ok-
more than one ball

[edit on 8-8-2006 by ragster]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

ok-
more than one ball

[edit on 8-8-2006 by ragster]

www.rockwellbilliards.com...

billiards, and pool supplies...

how about some airplane engines....

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
airbus a380 1 of 4 engines
cost=15million$
engines
www.geae.com...

chicken

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

airbus a380 1 of 4 engines
cost=15million$
engines
www.geae.com...

chicken

Ok, I will play.

Chicken
Something about a headless chicken

All about raising chickens

ways to cook chicken

and chickenpox

and now....LOL the chicken dance

My word
GOCE (Gravity Probe)

[edit on 13-3-2009 by amazed ACK a link problem]

[edit on 13-3-2009 by amazed]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

GOCE-Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer

ESA link

My word(It is a simple one):

Hunt for planets.

[edit on March 13th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Would your word be Kepler by chance?

Kepler space mission.

Assuming that I am correct here is mine.

It's an old term for something that has become pretty much standard in modern day society. In fact there is at least one reference to it dating back to 1922. It is used first on Marine boats since you can't string a wire between 2 people who want to talk to each other from ship to shore. Then it became common on land in the last 20 years or a little less. A Cell Phone is an example of this. But I'm looking for the old term.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by Deson]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Yes, you are correct.

The answer for your question is "Wireless".

Wireless

[edit on March 16th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm sorry the word is not Wireless. This word is a conglomeration of 2 words.

I will however accept any one of 3 words as acceptable however.

Here is another hint.

It specifically refers to a means of one person talking to another using radio waves to replace wired vocal communication. While the first half of this two word to one word combination became very popular as did the second half of the word as well became very popular. It really wasn't until the early 1980's when the combination of the two became more commonly used on land although it had been used in marine communications for a number decades prior to the 1980's. However in the 1980's the term wasn't used for this communication. The term is used to describe the earliest generation of wireless mobile telephone technologies.

In fact in the above sentence I have stated the first half of the word if you look carefully.

A edited quote from a 1922 article about this concept:

It may be said as an established fact, that even with the many great advantages of (word) over wire telephony from the technical standpoint, there are very substantial reasons why the (Closely associated word) cannot supplant the wire telephone systems. If through some special control of the electrons, or the energy similar to that in psychical contagion, mental telepathy would become generally possible, such a phenomenon might be of grave concern to the owners of wire telephone systems--but the (Closely associated word), when used to its fullest extent, can only be made an auxiliary to existing telephone systems.

Boy were they wrong in that aspect!

Note that I have edited out the word itself and another one very, very close to it.

The closely related term was used as late as the 1960's. For example for the Model T31BAT-3100B-SP3.

The 10th edition of Newton's Telecom Dictionary says (Closely associated word) is an, "obsolete term."

Edited to add a FCC quote concerning a license for this particular mode of communication:

"Restricted (Word) Operator Permit (RP) holders are authorized to operate most aircraft and aeronautical ground stations aboard pleasure craft (other than those carrying more than six passengers for hire on the Great lakes or bays or tidewaters or in the open sea) when operator licensing is required. RP holders may also operate, repair and maintain any kind of AM, FM, TV or international broadcast station. They may act as chief engineer or chief operator of a broadcast station. RPs are issued for the holder's lifetime."

Hope that this is of help. If there are no answers later on then I will give the answer at a later time.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Deson]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Did you mean

Mobile Radio

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'll give it up.

The Term is "RadioTelephony"

I also would have accepted "RadioPhone" or "RadioTelephone"

For further info here is the wiki entry on Radiotelephone

The 1922 article that I quoted a bit form earlier. You'll take note of their statement that RadioTelphone (What we call Cell phone) could never supplant wired Telephone communications. (chuckle)

A Downloadable copy dealing with the subject dating back to 1918.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Don't know a hole lot about the radio telephone but here's a Government Website showing some of the applications of the technology.

My word is ARGON

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Uh, to the best of my knowledge you are supposed to describe your word and let other people guess what the word is. Unless I'm totally mistaken and that could be since I have all the memory span of a ferret at times ....... ooooo shiny ...... (chuckle)

new topics

top topics

join